Gonna try to be constructive here, since nobody likes being yelled at or insulted. Also, this is going to be a wordy post.
- New critters. Everyone loves new toys. And despite the poo-pooers who were salty about mammals being included in a dino game, I think even they will warm up to them eventually.
- Better dino variety to dart. It’s been refreshing to see different dinos around me every day other than the usual Einiosaurus. There’s incentive to go out and more than ever dart everything. If it’s something that’s been proven time and again it’s that even the crappiest dino might have a use later.
- New moves. Same as new critters: everyone loves novelty and stuff to play with.
- Chat toast fixed for incoming and departing alliance members. A small fix, but not unnoticed or unappreciated.
- Improved dino sorting. I don’t use this feature, but I know others do and like it. Good enough for me.
Jury Still Out:
- The darting is just so horrible. I know Ludia said it’s “better”, but I look at it from this perspective. Many of us have been playing for a year. We’ve gotten used to, and even GOOD at darting things. Changing it for something that tested well with the rookie interns who have never played this game before and having them rank the two isn’t a good comparison. If you’re reading this from a computer, look down. You’re probably good at using that QWERTY keyboard and would not be terribly happy if someone yanked it off your desk and gave you a DVORAK one because it’s “better”. You’re used to it, and even though with enough time and patience you can unlearn one and learn the other, the difference between 90 wpm and 92 wpm when you eventually learn the “better” keyboard isn’t going to make a huge difference, and just causes frustration in the months meantime. Or how about just give us a toggle?
- Stat boosts. Metahub did a good breakdown of how this is a little pay-to-win but not hugely unless you’re throwing down massive amounts of money. Ludia’s a business they gotta keep the lights on, I get it. I kinda like when my Magna steamrolls the opponents, kinda don’t when the same happens to me and I don’t have an answer. We’ll see what happens when the dust settles.
- Tourneys. I’m really excited about playing these, and have everyone kind of do the best they can with a different set of rules. I was disappointed today when I heard that you don’t get a second Team Composition to play, so you have to swap out dinos and swap in the eligible ones which is time-consuming and annoying. Might be nice if you gave us 3, as a matter of fact. A tourney one, a regular one, and one for friendlies to try out new dinos and compositions.
- That glare behind “coins collected” and “darts collected” whenever you spin a supply box. If you’re like me you don’t spend any time inspecting how much you got from a supply box, maybe a fraction of a second for it to process. Which means you tap, tap, tap. So you get glare, glare, glare. Bright strobe light flashing right in your face. I feel bad for epileptics.
- Battles. I’m inspired to write this post in the first place instead of battling because I just lost 150 trophies in a row because my match times out, I restart only to find out the battle’s been going on without me and I’m already down 2 dinos without any hope of catching up. But I have to try again, because if you don’t do the daily, you don’t get the stat boosts, so when you DO finally get a match where it doesn’t bug out, if you haven’t been keeping up you lose because as it is, stat boosts do more for dinos than leveling does. You think giving all Badlands players a Unique was bad? Wait til you get steamrolled by a Thor that’s faster than Erlidom.
I’m kind of annoyed that in every patch 95% of stuff that is announced is new and shiny things, or fixes that didn’t need fixing (see darts above) and 5% is dedicated to bug fixes. “Oh we finally fixed the speed indicator, half a year later”. While I know new product sells, you gotta keep the base happy too, we’re the ones who eventually buy the new content. Providing an aggravating experience isn’t conducive to this. That’s like selling a new hot flavor of Doritos on Aisle 5 but someone threw a jug of milk on the floor hours ago so not only is it a slipping hazard, but being neglected has made it start to stink, too.
There are so many QoL improvements you could give us instead of simply rolling out new things and making each patch buggier than the last. Alliances could be given so much love. Chat is buggy still (scrolls everywhere like crazy). Leaders can’t see who donates or has requested donations, can’t see when someone logged in last (would be helpful in friendslist too), can’t see how much someone has contributed to the weekly tasks. Many of us have to turn to unorthodox methods of keeping track of our members, anywhere from obligating Discord to keeping trophy fluctuation spreadsheets and everything in between. We need a high level of coordination to finish the weekly incubators at rank 5 (especially if you get the egregious 450k Rare task, which is WAY overtuned), but you guys don’t give us the tools for this coordination in-game except for a buggy chat. That’s a problem.
I’m sure that some of these will get addressed in the coming weeks. Most, if the track record is any indication, will be ignored in the hopes the player base simply gets used to it or finds a work-around. Seriously though, I don’t know if I’d be the only one who would be COMPLETELY fine if several weeks from now the announcement was:
Patch 1.8 - No new animals, skills, or huge features this patch, everyone! Slight balancing only on some dinos and we dedicated this ENTIRE patch on squashing the bugs that have been making our game unplayable. 95% of the most common problems are fixed, and we added a whole slew of Quality of Life improvements that are also bug-free. We kept the art department busy designing new backdrops for arenas and fine tuning next-generation models for patch 1.9, thanks for your patience!