A Mammoth Discovery!

Wow, that’s a lot of mammoths.

2 Likes

This is awesome, thanks @Mary_Jo!! I love stuff like this. I was raised a Baptist Christian, which, not to hate on them but they don’t believe in evolution (usually).

When I started taking to science I started falling in love with the evolutionary lineage of different species. Namely, elephants for me. This is beautiful to me and I appreciate the share.

2 Likes

Yes, very much the same for me. I’ve always had a special love for the Ice Age period, not even sure why or when it began, but it’s always stayed with me so I get really excited about discoveries like these.

1 Like

Me too. Ever since I was a kid I loved dinosaurs. Despite my raising, I still took to it. Long live the wooly mammoths! Extinct as they may be :sweat_smile:

@EorlundGraymane91 - elephants are the best! Favorite animal. Thank you @Mary_Jo for sharing!

2 Likes

They really are extraordinary animals. And the mammoth was to many prehistoric cultures what the Bison was to the Native Americans. When you think about how large the animal was compared to the puny humans, who hunted on foot and with relatively primitive weapons, it’s quite a testament to their courage and ingenuity that they were able to kill them in such numbers.

I still remember one of my teachers on learning about how interested in prehistoric times I was encouraging me to read this new book that had come out, Clan of the Cave Bear. It went on to become a huge international best seller, followed by more books that revolved around the conflict between Neanderthal man and the emerging Cro-Magnon humans. The stories get rather repetitive and a bit more say we say, adult, than was really necessary, but they are rife with information on how people of that time lived, hunted, etc. which was based on the author’s extensive research and even travels to see some of the famous prehistoric caves and the artwork and artifacts found. I somewhat hesitate to recommend the books now as the series ended so poorly (the final book is just such a massive disappointment and the very definition of ‘phoning it in’ from an author that seemed to have lost interest in finishing the story) but the first 3 or 4 books are well worth a read for anyone that has an interest in this time period.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation @Mary_Jo, I’ll have to check that series out in the future. School is a nightmare and I don’t know if I’ll have the time to read a series yet.

Just wanted to throw in my favorite elephant ancestor:

Good ole goofy looking platybelodon :rofl: wish we could get one as a Cenozoic creature…

1 Like