Ankylosaurs reworked: Poll

Yup, the sequel to the Pterosaurs reworked thread is here. Don’t expect anything a too groundbreaking though, this one is fairly simple.

Let’s dive right in!

So, the Ankys. They’re tanky, they have the really mediocre move “Vulnerability Strike” and that’s about it. Unlike the other tanks, they didn’t receive the anti-pounce meta buff, which means that although one would think they’re meant to counter speedy non-shatterers, they’re so vulnerable to Distraction and Nullification that it doesn’t really work.

And the thing is—apart from Nodosaurus—they aren’t about speed control, so giving them Superiority Strike wouldn’t feel right.
So we need a new move that Cleanses Distraction, but instead of slowing the opponent, does something that reflects the raw power of the armoured dinosaurs.

This is what I came up with:

Blunt Force: Cleanse Distraction. Increase Critical chance by 35% for this turn and next turn. Deal 1x damage. Opponent Vulnerable for 1 turn.
Delay:0, Cooldown:0.

It does 4 things, same as Superior Vulnerability, but less crazy, since the opponent is vulnerable for the next turn, not the current one. Still useful though!

So, what say you? Should “Blunt Force” replace Vulnerability Strike as the basic move of some of the Ankylosaurs?

• Fine by me.
  • I don’t like the sound of it.

0 voters

Now to the Ankylosaurs themselves:
Euoplocephalus is fine as it is, and so are its hybrids- Amargocephalus and Tragodistis.
Same for Scolosaurus and it’s hybrid, Skoolasaurus.
Alankylosaurus is fine too.

1] Ankylosaurus Gen 2
~4200 HP (formerly 3900)
~900 attack
~112 speed
~25% armour

Blunt Force (formerly Vulnerability Strike)
•Long Protection

Immunity to Vulnerability

2] Nodosaurus
~4200 HP
~1000 HP
~115 speed
~25% armour

•Decelerating Impact
•Short Defense

3] Ankylosaurus
~4700 HP (formerly 4200)
~900 attack
~116 speed
~30% armour

•Long Protection
•Instant Invincibility

Immunity to Vulnerability

And that’s all for the non-hybrids.
Like the reworks?

• Yup.
  • Nope.

0 voters

Now, for the hybrids, since they’re underwhelming too.

1] Nodopatosaurus
~4800 HP
~900 attack
~106 speed
~25% armour

Blunt Force (previously Pinning Strike)
•Decelerating Impact
•Short Defense
•Impact

•Medium Counter-attack

2] Nodopatotitan
~5100 HP
~1000 attack
~108 speed
~40% armour

Blunt Force (previously Superiority Strike)
Rampage (previously Decelerating Impact)
•Long Protection
•Bellow

•Medium Counter-attack
Swap-in Slow

3] Gigaspikasaur
~4650 HP
~900 attack
~109 speed
~40% armour

Blunt Force (formerly Pinning Strike)
•Short Defense
•Decelerating Impact
Decelerating Rampage (formerly Rampage)

•Medium Counter-attack

4] Ankyntrosaurus
~4700 HP (formerly 4980)
~1000 attack
~115 speed
~30% armour

Blunt Force (formerly Nullifying Strike)
•Thagomizer
•Instant Distraction
•Instant Invincibility

•Medium Counter-attack

Next is Rajakylosaurus. For this one, I’m going to have to take a bit of a detour and rework Rajasaurus, since it needs to be. By my last rebalancing poll, the majority voted for better damage and surviveability, so we’re going to need a new move for that.

Rajasaurus
~3960 HP
~1090 attack
~104 speed
~20% critical chance

Devouring Strike: Deal 1x damage. Regenerate 10%. Opponent pinned for this turn and next turn.
(No cleanse). Delay:0, Cooldown:0.
[This replaces Pinning Strike, but not just in Rajasaurus. More on that later.]
•Long Protection
•Extended Critical Strike

•Maximal Counter-attack
Agitation: This creature deals 50% extra damage for 1 turn when it’s defences are destroyed or nullified.

5] Rajakylosaurus
~4350 HP
~900 attack
~104 speed
~30% armour
~15% critical chance (formerly 5)

Blunt Force (formerly Pinning Strike)
Devouring Strike (formerly Extended Critical Strike)
•Long Protection
•Instant Invincibility

•Armour-piercing Counter
Agitation

6] Diorajasaur
~4500 HP
~1000 attack
~108 speed
~30% armour
~10% critical chance (formerly 5)

Blunt Force (formerly Superiority Strike)
Long Defensive Strike (formerly Ferocious Strike)
Distracting Rampage (formerly Instant Distraction)
Bellow (formerly Instant Invincibility)

•Defense-shattering Counter (formerly Precise-shattering Counter)
Agitation

(More on Dio at the end)

7] Ankylocodon
~4200 HP
~1000 attack
~107 speed
~25% armour
~40% critical chance

Blunt Force (formerly Armour-piercing Strike)
•Short Defense
•Decelerating Impact
•Armour-Piercing Impact

•Immunity

And that’s all.
Every change has a good reason behind it, I assure you, so if you’re not convinced, speak up, and I’ll explain my rationale.

Regarding Diorajasaur

Summary

The one creature that I feel the need to explain beforehand is Dio, since it’s much-loved and all that by now. It used to have a more intuitive moveset, but Ludia changed it to be a Tryko clone later on.
In my last poll, the vast majority voted that no Unique, not even Dio (there was a specific option) deserves to be a copycat of another Unique, so here we are.

Okay, firstly, what needed to go to distinguish it from Tryko was Instant Distraction (ID). Instant Invincibility (II), or some variant of it needed to stay, since it has Anky DNA. But since ID was gone, II with a 1-turn delay suddenly wasn’t all that useful, so I changed it a bit to Bellow.
This means it can have speed control without Superiority Strike, plus it’s available turn-1, and has a shorter cooldown than II, meaning you can use it more often. The speed-control aspect comes from Tuojiangosaurus.

Long Defensive Strike allows it to play Defensively without any cooldown, perfect against Erlidom or practically any other speedster. Plus, if something like a Thor or Maxima breaks through that shield, Dio will return with a buffed counter-attack, and a buffed next attack too, since the turn wouldn’t have been completed.

Distracting Rampage comes from Tuojiangosaurus’ Distracting Strike. The OG Dio had Distracting Impact, but this makes up for the loss of Ferocious Strike. Besides, we need to see Distracting Rampage more often, don’t you think?

Precise-shattering counter was good against Dodgers, but now that we have like 8 Unique anti-dodgers, I don’t think we need another.

And finally, Blunt Force ups Dio’s damage output with crits, while removing Distraction, and making the opponent Vulnerable for that Rampage.

So, what do you think, overall?
Would you like the changes, excluding Dio (it gets its own poll) to be implemented?

• Yay.
  • Nay.

0 voters

Now, are you satisfied with the Diorajasaur rework?

• Yay.
  • Nay.
  • Undecided

0 voters

That’s all folks!
Happy voting. Have a nice day!
[Spinosaurids are next]

4 Likes

I’ll just give them superior vulnerability strike as their basic attack and immune to Bleed because well… they have armor.

2 Likes

Instead of adding a new move, I would rework Vulnerability Strike so it can inflict vulnerability immediately, like SV does

1 Like

Not a bad idea for them to get superior vunerablilty, immune to bleed seems a bit too much though. What about giving them dig in? Makes a bit more sense to give that move to creatures which are slow, heavily armored and have no choice but to stand their ground and fight. Makes a lot more sense that giving it to creatures with a swap in armour piercing stun.

1 Like

The Distraction would still be an issue. Also, if they rely too much on Vulnerability to deal damage, Immune speedsters would be unaffected.

I think cleansing distraction is important to beat speedsters like raptors, and the crit chance, being a buff instead of a debuff, is more useful in a wider range of scenarios than Vulnerability.

I also think critical chance would be high for something with a bludgeon on its tail, don’t you?

Apart from that, I kept the Vulnerability for the next turn, so they didn’t lose their original debuff.

1 Like

Superior Vulnerability has speed control. Like I said, the whole point of Ankylosaurs is that they are not speed control tanks.
That’s what the Stegosaurs and Sauropods are for.

If these guys were Immune to DoT, that would be the end of bleeders. The point was to make the Ankys more formidable, so you’re encouraged not to take them on head-on and bleed them instead. Since they don’t have Speed control, swooping is viable.

I did give them Immunity to Vulnerability though, because they literally have armoured eyelids.

1 Like

You make a fair point about that, then again some of the ankylosaurs already have slowing moves.

Only one of them does. And it’s hybrids are all Sauropods and Stegosaurs.
Edit: forgot about Ankyntro. It’s a hybrid of a stegosaur though, so my point still stands.

1 Like

Only one? I think your forgetting 2

What’s the third?

Screenshot_20200226-012204_JW Alive Screenshot_20200226-012226_JW Alive Screenshot_20200226-012237_JW Alive

Did you see my suggestion about giving ankylosaurs dig in?

Ankylocodon isn’t an Ankylosaur, but I see where you’re coming from. It doesn’t have to mean anything though, because look at Suchotator. Neither of its parents is a Nullifier or a Distractor, or a creature with Speed control.

Amargocephalus, yes. But it’s a sauropod hybrid, and Amargasaurus is the sauropod master of Deceleration.

Tragodistis is the hybrid of said hybrid.

As you can see, most of the Anky hybrids are combinations of their sheer surviveability and the Stegosaurs/Sauropods’ speed control, to be sort of ideal tanks. That’s the point of hybridising the two different families.

1 Like

Dig-In is more of a Ceratopsian thing now, it would be too common if the Ankys also had it. Plus, giving the Ankys cleanse would mess up bleeders.

1 Like

I still reckon that move would suit the Anky’s more than the swap in abusers, i mean both turtles have it. As it currently stands the devs are more likely to reuse existing moves rather than add in completely new ones based on the reception cautious strike and precise shattering rampage received.

You say the alankylosaurus is fine but actually I feel it lacks a decent attack, ok so it has a rampage but I feel it would benefit from a change to its superiority strike as you suggest using vulnerability with others a superior vulnerability strike would benefit the legendary hybrid massively

Alankylosaurus is actually pretty good in this meta, it’s a Mid Apex, which I think is what it deserves. That’s why I didn’t suggest any changes. It’s also awesome in strike towers.

I know it would be nice if it could do a little more damage, but we can always wait for its Unique for that.

You forgot tragodist, why😭 he is my favorite hybrid

Agree, but bleeders are kinda dead already.
There should be a immune to vulnerability in the game.

There-There.
I didn’t forget about it, I mentioned that it just didn’t need to be changed. It’s really good, even I used it for a long time, it’s just like Dilorach where the meta is against it.
It’s all on those stun-immune Indoraptors.

I think the best way to help Tragod is to tweak some of the commonly-encountered creatures it faces. It’s already very good, and with a slight meta shift it could be back to its glory days in no time.

So, I’m not a huge fan of single moves that do several things (aka Cautious Strike). I feel like these have been introduced en-masse recently with shield/decelerate, decelerate/vulnerability etc etc.

Structurally, Ankylosaurs should be the following:
Speed: Super Slow
Armour: Super High
Health: Average
Damage: Low
Crit: Low

This basically makes them fodder for Chompers and Bleeders (which is fine). It also makes them somewhat vulnerable to other tanks (because of speed).

The biggest issue I have with them is Vulnerability as a basic move. This move is… bad. The only way it works out well is if you have a follow-up rampage and can survive 2 hits. The problem is that the basic Anky’s just have crappy other moves. Long protection is good… but useless with vulnerability. Also, it basically flags what your next move will be making Ankys with their slow speed very vulnerable to instant invincibility, distraction, dodge etc.

If the goal is to avoid slowing moves, there are a few options.
#1. Make vulnerability last longer by default or have a bigger pay-off
#2. Give vulnerability a secondary bonus
#3. Give all Ankylosaurs at least an Impact move

So… I think I would by default give Ankylosaurs 40% armour.
I would probably make Vulnerability start immediately (making the move more viable) and last for the second turn.

I might introduce an Impact version of Short Defence.
Shielding Impact
1.5 Damage
50 %Shield 2 turns
Cooldown 1.

It’s basically Distracting Impact with different counters? It also works well with the new Vulnerability which would create a few cycle choices. Shield Impact => Vulnerability => Shield Impact (if you can survive that long) or just Vulnerability => Shield Impact. The 2-move chain would be 3.75 damage.

This move would be given to Ankylosaurus, Ankylosaurus Gen II & Nodosaurus.
Could be inherited by:
Nodopatosaurus and its Hybrids.

I do however like Devouring Strike. It is an obvious missing move from the move sets. Making it Pin seems kind of flavourful and on a Counter dino this has quite a bit of basic synergy. I’m assuming it would go on some of the other medium therapods too?

Agitation is a bit too… conditional? I wouldn’t mind something like that where its damage is +50% when its health is below 50% or something like that though. That would be very interesting for counter-dinosaurs.

1 Like