Balanced Spawning

I know most of us are frustrated by short range spawns. Regardless of how you feel personally, we can’t deny that Ludia implemented them for a reason (yes, even they do everything for a reason, even if that reason isn’t remotely logical). Reading @OrigamiRobot 's article about short range spawns, they hit on a point that I hadn’t considered before: that short range spawns were added to prevent diluting the spawn pools. Did they succeed in this? Given that local spawns are rarer than ever, I’d say probably not. Nonetheless, the problem of having too many spawns at once is one that should be addressed, and I think I came up with an alternative solution to short range spawns.

The idea is basically to split the global spawn pool in half, creating two new pools of “regional” spawns. “Regions” would correspond to the existing local zones/areas in the game, with Region 1 applying in zones 1 and 3, and Region 2 applying in zones 2 and 4. These regions would rotate with their respective zones every month, so you would be in a different region every other month. A select few dinos would remain true global spawns, but very few compared to before. While this does mean that you won’t be able to dart every global spawn from home anymore, this is also exactly the point: to reduce the number of potential spawns at any one location at a given time from what it is now. Currently, during the day in any given zone, there are 47 possible dinosaurs that can spawn. Introducing regions reduces this number down to 35, with only 10 possible common spawns instead of 16-17. And unlike short range spawns, all regional spawns can be scented, and the monthly rotation ensures that all players will have equal access to them over time.

Here are some images detailing the new spawns:

In determining which global spawns would go to each region, I tried to make each region equal in terms of the number of each rarity, and the overall usefulness/desirability of each creature. I also made a point to split up hybrid pairs. For example, Dimetrodon Gen 2 can no longer be found in the same places as Monolophosaurus Gen 2, and Dracorex Gen 2 can no longer be found in the same places as Triceratops Gen 2. As such, some of the local spawns have changed quite a bit, but I think they’re still balanced between each local. This means that no matter what hybrid you’re working on, there’s usually one ingredient you’ll need that can’t be found in your zone. This encourages players to travel to other zones to hunt for dinosaurs, which seems to be another goal Ludia had in mind with short range spawns. Again though, the rotation of regions ensures that all players will still be able to obtain these dinos quite easily.

As for short range spawns, I eliminated them entirely. However, dinos of higher rarities would still have higher spawn rates in short range/proximity spawns than in long range spawns/scents, making using scents less productive for finding rarer dinos (but still not impossible for any particular dino). Parasaurolophus Lux would be a global night/dawn/dusk spawn. Amphicyon, Gorgonops, and Megistotherium would each be added to an open slot in different local zones. The new dinos added in patch 2.2 made the spawns in each zone uneven, with some zones needing new Anytime commons, anytime rares, and/or day epics. These are the openings that Amphicyon, Gorgonops, and Megistotherium filled. I labeled open local slots that still need to be filled with “Dino X” on the spreadsheet. These openings would ideally be filled by new dinosaurs in the near future.

What do you think of the idea of splitting global spawns into “regions”? Do you agree with how I divided up the spawns? Please let me know!

What do you think of the proposed spawning changes?
  • I like them
  • They’re good, but need some changes
  • Indifferent
  • They’re not great, but could be improved with some changes
  • I don’t like them

0 voters

2 Likes

A simpler solution: finally take out hybrids from the spawn pool, nobody needs them to spawn when they can be created and they are just taking up space…

But I like this regional idea as well… one thing is for sure, the ever increasing spawn pool needs to be dealt with, it’s especially bad for end-game players who only need a few specific creatures that just won’t spawn, cause the spawns are polluted with garbage

1 Like

Yeah we really don’t need wild hybrid spawns, but that alone wouldn’t make a big dent overall.