Ludia Forums

British

Hi Ludia,

Can I ask why, during the St. Patrick’s special, there is a “British Isles” strike?
The Republic of Ireland is not part of Britain and the usage of the term “British Isles” implies this - as such, it is controversial and offensive. People died in the Irish War of Independence so that we can say that we are Irish and not British.

Did you not bother to educate yourselves on our politics and history prior to this event?
You may or may not have heard of Brexit and the deep trouble British invasion has caused, and is continuing to cause, in Northern Ireland to this day.

And, during a special week supposedly to celebrate our public official holiday, we are labelled as “British”.

If you run a special for the U.S. Independence Day, are you going to label them as British as well?

5 Likes

A really good point!!! I have never recognised it.

1 Like

Well St Patrick came from Britian. Surely its also his day.

2 Likes

No, it’s not. The geographical formation Ireland is part of is literally called the “British Isles”

“The British Isles are a group of islands in the North Atlantic off the north-western coast of continental Europe that consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Hebrides and over six thousand smaller isles.”

Noone was implying that Ireland is a part of the UK. Or are you saying that Canada and Mexico are part of the United States of America just because they are North American countries and therefore have “America” in their geographical formation??? Or Switzerland is part of the European Union because it is geologically inside Europe???

God, stop being offended by anything…

5 Likes

I came to point out this observation.

In fact, Ludia has been politically correct here. To the OP, please don’t mix up Politics with Geography. Republic of Ireland does not belong to the UK, we all know that. But the Isle of Ireland and Great Britain belong to the British Isles. You could educate yourself before being offended :wink:

4 Likes

“The British Isles are a group of islands in the North Atlantic off the north-western coast of continental Europe that consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Hebridesand over six thousand smaller isles.”

I take it you didn’t bother reading the link I posted, particularly the part about the usage of the term in Ireland.

“Or Switzerland is part of the European Union because it is geologically inside Europe???”

If it was called an “EU Strike”, Switzerland would have every right to speak up. If it was called “American Strike”, Mexicans would have every right to speak up, since “America” is also a political AND geographical term, but in reality, is used to refer to the U.S.

1 Like

“Republic of Ireland does not belong to the UK, we all know that. But the Isle of Ireland and Great Britain belong to the British Isles. You could educate yourself before being offended :wink:

Are you seriously telling me, an Irish person, to educate myself on my own country? Go to the Republic of Ireland and tell people they’re British, see how far you get.

And no, “we all” do NOT know that - many, many North Americans are a good 100 years behind on our politics and still think Irish people are British. I live in mainland Europe and am asked constantly how I’ll stay here after Brexit, due to the same ignorance.

1 Like

I did read the link, but I don’t care that some offended extremists getting moany about something that has been geologically named what it is for centuries and want it to be changed, because they have literally nothing better to do with their lives.

It’s a correct term to call Ireland part of the British Isle. Deal. With. It.

“EU strike” isn’t even a definition, what are you on about that?

2 Likes

Exactly! Regards from Primary school :wink:

1 Like

This whole topic is pointless.

2 Likes

We have :eyes: in here

4 Likes

Thank YOU, J. C.

It’s nice that the moderation team is present, in-case the political extremism goes hairwire.

For a moment I thought this was a complain about how stupidly difficult the epic PvE is…

1 Like

Thank you all for explaining to me what Irish people are and are not allowed to find offensive.
If only I lived there for 32 years and knew something about the culture!

1 Like

1 Like

I work 40 hours a week and study for 30 on top of that, I have plenty to do but appreciate your concern for how I spend my time.
And no, it is not correct. Not geographically or politically. I’ll repeat it again - the Republic of Ireland is not part of Britain, so it is inaccurate to say it’s a “British” isle.

This just goes to show how sensitive humans can be about stuff that is not actually important, I mean it doesn’t physically hurt anyone at the end of the day. It just comes down to feelings.

However, those that do get offended by it have a right to post here raising their concerns and unhappiness without fear of being picked on in responses.

I might add though that my comment is coming from someone who doesn’t care if they get called an offensive name, or if anyone slags of British, I really don’t care what people say about the British.

Yes there were wars in the past, people died, but why get offended over stuff that you didn’t live through?

British Isle is a GEOLOGICAL DEFINITION.

It has nothing to do with Ireland being “British”, as is being part of the UK.

You are literally proposing the equivalent of renaming oranges into “almost yellow fruit” because of some twisted logic that makes you get offended how some pieces of rocks floating in the sea are called.

It’s not about your nation, it’s not about which country is part or not part of another, it’s literally about that there are pieces of rocks in the sea and they are called BRITISH ISLES.

I don’t get it why do you want to apply political extremism into something that has zero political fuel by default.

Should we rename Europe and North America because of offended special snowflakes as well?

3 Likes

But it is, because my nation is being referred to.
And the “snowflake” argument - boring.

The Jewish people of today were not alive when the Holocaust happened, should they not care about that? I am living now, and now, Ireland is not part of Britain.

1 Like