Congrats Ludia

On the positive side

I’m really enjoying playing the light finger estate challenge. Can sit down and sink my teeth into a very challenging and enjoyable adventure

On the negative side,

I want to congratulate you on creating the most ludicrous and frustrating game (PvP) I’ve ever seen or imagined. One can dominate the battle completely such that a come back would be like the local under 5’s team beating the Harlem Globetrotters, but sure enough it happens time and time again. Various other scenarios are more absurd than the best Monty Python sketches

Yet what is more ludicrous is that You don’t fix it.

2 simple fixes

1. leave leagues as is and return everything to post update 12
  2. do what Eg SWGOH does and nerf things in arena. Make bard dominate fail more often, weaken archer epic and legendary bows, weaken wizard kill attack, weaken warlock flame (which always kills multiple people on my side (without shields down) while mine never (not exaggerating) does more than 1 bar of health to the opposition - how is that even possible!) etc

Are you suggesting Ludia nerf the abilities of your human opponent’s heroes (who some players have paid for) or just limiting the abilities of bots. I am in full support of weakening the ludicrous bots but I would hate to penalize other players just because their heroes are better equipped than mine.

I agree the leagues are a good idea. They do provide PvP with an objective. However, I dread the negative impact of the upcoming league reset, which is only 48 hours away. I suggest the reset should be cancelled and players should be awarded with all of the pertinent league chests based on where they sit at the end of each season.

I also agree the bots need to be re-balanced. The bots I faced prior to update 12 were usually a reasonable match. I believe Ludia should re-establish the prior formula for generating bots.

I don’t see Ludia doing this.

Before update 12, trophies had very little value once you’ve gone above 2,200. Your arena chests were the same if you had 5000+ trophies or 2500 trophies. The only benefit was to get the occasional rank reset reward, which happened all of twice that I can remember.

But now trophies have a definite repeating value associated with it in the form of League Chests.

Your ask is for the rewards designed to be access only to the top 50 or so players to be accessible to the top 1000 or so.

The way I see it, the loss in progress is directly tied to the new league rewards as a justification to restrict the benefits to a subset of players. So if you want old bots you’ll likely also have to let go of the league rewards. Or if you want league rewards, you should accept the difficulty bump in climbing PvP trophies.

This is a plain and poorly executed attempt to use FOMO to encourage spending on the game by creating unlocked monthly rewards for the majority of players. After all, if you achieve everything you want, what’s the point of spending money in the game?

The Hearthstone ladder reward system is an example of a much better monthly reward system to encourage casual play. For one, the capstone reward is unlocked at the second highest Tier (rank 5), rather than the highest Tier (legend). The highest rank is worth more but not that much more, so there’s something to strive for. It takes a mature account about 30-50 PvP games a month to maintain rank 5, and about 100-200 games to maintain legendary (or more for first time climbers) . They also have “rank floors” such that you don’t fall below ranks 20, 15, 10, 5 or legendary.

While Hearthstone induces FOMO as well, the real prize is much more accessible. Whereas less than 1% of the total playerbase reaches legend, I estimate around 5% hits rank 5 (based on the 2% metric that released before significant changes were made to make climbing easier).

I think that locking the legendary guaranteed chest behind the highest arena league makes intuitive sense, but is terrible in practice due to the negative emotions it generates in the player base.

Moreover, they dragged most player’s overall win rate to below 50% once bots turned into an unappealing option.

Overall I think they failed at their psychological prediction of player reaction.

I find your consideration of the negative impact of league play to be interesting.

However, I am uncertain about the inherent logic to one part of your post.

The way I see it, the loss in progress is directly tied to the new league rewards as a justification to restrict the benefits to a subset of players. So if you want old bots you’ll likely also have to let go of the league rewards. Or if you want league rewards, you should accept the difficulty bump in climbing PvP trophies.

My understanding of English is not perfect, but I interpret this to mean Ludia cannot keep both, the leagues and the rewards, while at the same time re-balancing the bots. I disagree with this assessment. I believe re-balanced bots would encourage play for many. Perhaps in higher leagues the unbalanced bots are encouraging spending, but in the three bottom tier leagues, the bots significantly overpower the players. [Why should level 20 bots battle in league 2? They should be reserved for the higher leagues] While overpowered bots can occasionally be defeated, the frequency of one-round losses has become frustrating. Instead of using these overpowered bots as a ‘stick’ they could return to providing players with a carrot. Most developers are aware elements of the game need to be massaged when players are abandoning a game. My recent experience indicates many players have disappeared along with some of the support staff.

Changes are quickly needed and the developers should start with re-balancing the matches; what was experienced prior to Update 12 worked reasonably well.

1 Like

For the record, Orloch, I have never seen a problem with your English at all. Even if there ever was a little imprecision on occasion, I would still applaud you for the grasp you did have. If I remember right you said something in a previous post about English being your third language. Many people can barely speak it as their first

2 Likes

Necro-posting