Ludia Forums

Cunning Questionnaire

It continues!

What is the best Cunning creature in the game?

• Indoraptor
  • Indoraptor GEN 2
  • Monomimus
  • Monolometrodon
  • Monolorhino
  • Magnapyrritor
  • Quetzorion
  • Diloranosaurus
  • Diloracheirus
  • Erlikospyx
  • Phorusaura
  • Grylenken
  • Utasinoraptor
  • Utarinex
  • Dilophoboa
  • Erlikogamma
  • Alloraptor
  • Dracoceratosaurus
  • Erlidominus
  • Edaphocevia

0 voters

Do you feel like having a Cunning creature is necessary to your arena progression?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

How often does using a Cunning creature give a good matchup in the arena?

• Always
  • Often
  • Sometimes
  • Hardly
  • Never

0 voters

How useful are Cunning creatures in non-hybrid tournaments?

• Crucial
  • Useful
  • Good
  • Not Good
  • Very Not Good
  • Detrimental

0 voters

Do you feel that Cunning creatures as a majority have been “benched” to mainly filling Raid roles?

• Yes, Absolutely
  • Yes, Somewhat
  • No, Still Arena Viable
  • No, Very Arena Viable

0 voters

Do you feel too many creatures can either cleanse Distraction or have resistance to it in the current meta game?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

On a scale of 1-10, how good do you feel Cunning creatures are as of 2.0?

• 10 (Peak Meta)
  • 5 (Mediocre)
  • 1 (Unusable)

0 voters

Do you feel confident fielding a Cunning creature against an unknown matchup when you play competitively?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do Cunning creatures need to be improved, or are they victims of Resistances/Resilient?

• Both
  • Resilient Rebalance Only
  • Too Weak Only
  • Neither are Issues

0 voters

Do you want more Cunning creatures in the future?

• Yes Please!
  • Go Extinct.

0 voters

What hybrid type combo would you be most interested in seeing?

• Cunning/Fierce
  • Cunning/Resilient
  • Cunning/Counterattacker
  • Cunning/Bleeder
  • Cunning/Healer
  • Cunning/Stunner
  • Cunning/Ferocious
  • Cunning/Cunning
  • Not Interested

0 voters

1 Like

I had to cut ProRat from the options on Q #1, maxed out at 20. Kinda doubt it’d be getting votes anymore anyway lol

2 Likes

Cunning is generally fine. Like I said in the resilient post, you just need to be more careful with your matchups. I usually don’t start with a cunning, but that’s because they generally have low health, so they’re easier to one-shot them than other classes. I don’t feel like they really lose more than they should. Aside from the top-meta resilients (Maxima and Tryko), most resilients will die if they start against something like Allosino and don’t switch out, so while having a one-sided matchup never feels great, it isn’t unique to cunnings when they face resilients. But they still do their job against fierce quite well. I also find that they make the best revenge killers, so they always have some value in my book. And some of them I would still count among the best dinos in the game, like Magnapyritor, Quetzorion, and Monolorhino.

I think that if they were to address anything with cunnings themselves, it should be their generally low health. Now this is by design, so I wouldn’t buff their hp or anything like that. But their low health does mean that it is usually fatal to try to swap in a cunning dino, even against a fierce, whereas swapping one of the other classes into the class they’re supposed to counter is generally easier. Most (balanced) resilients have low attack, and resilients have high HP, so swapping a fierce into a resilient or a resilient into a cunning are both options, but swapping a cunning into a fierce just doesn’t work most of the time. Your cunning is simply going to die. So I think they should give more cunning dinos swap-in abilities like swap-in dodge or distraction (even if they aren’t 100% dodge chance or 100% distraction]. This compensates for the low health of the cunning dino when you’re facing a fierce. But resilients would still be able to counter them just fine using resilient attacks, as they are designed to do.

4 Likes

Cunning creatures are quite balanced. They have a role and they do that role amazingly well. Where they fall into trouble is mixed resil +firce creatures. Pure cunning cant stand up to them because these mixed creatures sometimes have the best of both worlds with little to no drawbacks that cunning can exploit.

4 Likes

But that’s the whole meta now. If we get more pure/semipure fierce creatures in the Meta (Morty) I bet the economy of Cunning Creatures will change dramatically.
See, I think that even if nothing changes in the next update, the shear fact that more people will have unlocked Morty will bring Spyx and Erlikodom back into the line-ups. I could be wrong though.

4 Likes

Cunning creatures are fine. They do what they were designed to do without being too much.

Resilient needs a rebalance, but a lot of them also need to be improved. Some dinos, like Utasino, took a huge hit when all that needed to happen was a boost to the hybrid. Then again, a LOT of dinos need to be improved. Ludia went far too OTT with the nerf hammer this time, all so that these raids would work better.

2 Likes

Yeah, a few specific cunning dinos (like Indo G2) were nerfed too hard (for obvious reasons), and could use a slight buff (considering that resilient attacks are a thing now). But overall the cunning class is fine.

I think this really hits it well. There’s hardly any pure fierce creatures around that allow distracting. Pretty much just Thor and Indom, the few you still see.

Maxima can cleanse, Tryko can cleanse, as can Tenrex, Tryo, etc. A lot of current meta bruisers just shrug off Cunning creatures purpose, aside from also slowing/killing them, so the class as a whole can’t really function with great success.