I am guilty of arena dropping. My reasons though are mainly for alliance member recruiting. 90% of my 40 members, I battled them in lower arenas and then invited them to my alliance. I find the lower I get, the more the odds of finding a non-affiliated player. I may see one unaffiliated player in Aviary all month. So to build quicker, I had to drop.
But in doing this, I am seeing some other aspects of the game.
For doing it:
- Losing 20 in one streak then winning 20 in one streak is more enjoyable than the win 1 lose 1 method. Typically because win 1 lose 1 is a continuous match up against a player I cannot beat followed by a player that cannot beat me with a few sporadic well matched battles thrown in between. 20 battles in win 1 lose 2 may consist of 8 opponent cannot win battles, 8 opponent cannot lose battles, 2 thought provoking fun battles, 2 RNG ate my lunch battles.
- Losing 20 then winning 20 is faster than the win 1 lose 1 method. For alliance missions, lose 20 win 20 is MUCH faster.
- Win 1 lose 1 puts me at the mercy of the match making system matching me against op players just the same as losing 20 then winning 20 puts the losing players against me having to face an op player. Part of this is the matchmaking itself, the other part is bigger opponents dropping down to where my high point is.
- A lower ranked player gets to see bigger dinos that they will be facing soon.
Against doing it:
- Losing 20 means 18 are against AI if under Aviary, which means those trophies are not reallocated to a player, while win 1 lose 1 the trophies in losing go to a different player. If AI was not involved, then those 20 losses would help the players, but that is not the case. So lose 20 win 20 takes trophies away from lower ranked players, but does not give them a chance to get them back.
- A new player may get discouraged.
- If everyone did this, it would break the game.
I think, even though I do arena drop, some type of block should be implemented from users dropping to much. I think there is no valid reason a player would ever fall 2 arenas unless they are doing so on purpose. Maybe put a block on that a player can not go under -1000 trophies from their starting point that month.
Many games use a similar system, Duel Links comes to mind where you cannot fall below the current area (Silver, Gold, Platinum, Legend, KOG), but everyone falls down one area at the start of each month. I am not saying to remove people’s trophies, just don’t let them fall beyond -1000 trophies.