Ludia Forums

Defend Berk is a joke after “rebalancing” points

No way to win without toothless as the other dragons can’t stay in play for more than a few hits after they were downgraded to 2/3. Please put it back. It has ruined the fun of that part of the game.

3 Likes

I agree.
They completely ruined Defend for me as well. It’s a total failure. Even with the 85% boost I take a beat down. Suddenly can’t win for anything. Why don’t developers realize that gamers know “more challenging” equates to simply done to slow us down, and making them more $. It is NOT fun for us. All they have to do now is destroy Brawl and I’m done with this game.

2 Likes

Which level are you on? I am at 600+ and I don’t notice any difference. It just the figures change but the performance is the same.

2 Likes

My dragons are only at 10o and I’m on fleet 71

1 Like

Ahh I see. All levels below 100 are really really hard. What’s your toothless level now? They will become manageable eventually. All my attempts now are three keys. I’m at 587.

2 Likes

Toothless is at 100 as well. I was beating each Defend pretty well until the new update, now there isn’t a thing I can do to get passed 71. I’m not even trying any more. Once I’m able to level up a bit I will give it another go. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Wait, there was a point at which brawl wasn’t a piece of garbage? I must have missed that…

2 Likes

:joy:
I actually like Brawl, as well as Gauntlet and Defend. If it weren’t for the combat features, you might as well play Merge Dragons. Although, I am not happy about the token system for advancing Brawlers. That needs to be reworked somehow.

1 Like

I like defend; it advances in a way that’s tied to your overall progress. Defend was part of the game for a long time, whereas brawl and gauntlets are a relatively recent introduction.

Gauntlets are sometimes okay, but I’ve never cared for brawl. As for the token system, I have mixed feelings; yes, its broken, but it’s also fair in its way; that is, you are on a mostly level playing field no matter how dedicated your are to brawl, or how much you ignore it or are just starting out. If any changes are made, they would need to retain this aspect, because it would be pretty horrible if gauntlets became only playable for dedicated, long-term players.

Oh, and then there’s the broken stamina timers…

2 Likes

Yeah, gotta love not getting stamina after 24 hrs. Truth.
My opinion differs from yours on Brawl only slightly. If you are a dedicated player, and are good at it, just like an athlete, you SHOULD rise quicker, and be stronger than someone who plays once a week or when they feel like it. The arbitrary token system makes it more like being at Las Vegas than anything else, and seems pretty unfair to me. Oh I’ve got “champion” dragons but no tokens to raise them, yet I see ppl with high levels of them and the same amount of wins as me. Not really fair. If you are new, you SHOULD stink. That’s how anything goes. Lol but randomly being able to level up brawlers seems unfair. I usually beat down brawlers with dragons even 2 levels higher than mine, but there’s only so much you can do without those all important tokens. Btw- has anyone ever figured out how packs are awarded, it seems random. I’ve beaten ppl with much stronger dragons and gotten a basic pack, and barely won against someone less strong than mine, and gotten a silver. So it makes no rhyme or reason.

1 Like

Again, I can’t disagree more strongly. One of the strong points of RoB is that it’s a single-player game that doesn’t penalize newcomers over veterans. You’re basically proposing to change that.

I expect you answered your own question.

1 Like

I am not proposing to penalize new players over veterans, as you can tell from our other discussions, I haven’t been playing for more than a couple of months. What I am opposed to is the obvious advancement of players who dish out lots of cash to buy token packs and advance by money instead of by ability. I’m not against spending, Ludia makes a product, people should expect to support it. That doesn’t mean how it’s worked is fair. What do you suggest instead?

1 Like

BTW, where have you seen such people? Youtube? Discord?

You do realize that the opponents you fight in Brawl are not real people but computer generated, right? (And the computer blatantly cheats in terms of how levels get allocated. I’ve said before and I’ll say again, the system that assigns levels to the computer ought to do so by category. Basing the computer’s champion levels off of your best rookie level is totally unfair.)

Also, I should note that it’s totally possible to game your Brawl score by intentionally losing fights. Or buying token packs through various means. There is no necessary correlation between Brawl score and number of tokens obtained.

1 Like

No… I mean the actual teams I fight in brawl mode, including the trophies they have. I was under the impression that brawl was PVP. I thought once you passed the arenas there was a champion mode, separate. Being fairly new, I was mistaken, and knowing it’s computer generated takes all the fun out of it.

1 Like

There may or may not have been a very brief period in which Brawl was actually (live) PVP. It’s definitely not live PVP currently, and AFAIK the opposing teams are computer-generated (and not fairly). Usually cited as evidence is that the opponent is always “Guest-####”. I don’t know what percent of players are on Facebook, but you’d expect it to be non-zero.

In any case, you can tell Brawl isn’t live PVP via a simple experiment: start a Brawl and set your phone down for a half hour. Come back, and it will be exactly where you left it, waiting for you to take your turn. That obviously wouldn’t work with live PVP :slight_smile:. I’ve seen games pit you against the assets of real players, under AI control, but AFAIK RoB doesn’t do even that. (The main evidence being… exactly your complaint; that opponents have had unreasonably high-grade champion dragons for quite some time.)

In fairness, if their algorithm was a little more reasonable, using computer-generated opponents would make it much easier to create a well-tuned match. (The problem with any PVP is that your pool of potential opponents may be extremely limited. This becomes doubly problematic if you want to both fine-tune the difficulty and also present a variety of matches.) And the system sort-of does work that way, it just considers all dragons equal, despite that champions or the seedling rumblehorn are much stronger than, say, the hotburple (which could be worse as a support dragon, but is utterly outmatched by anything else one-on-one).

2 Likes

All of your reasoning sounds accurate. The pool of players would be hard to generate, so that should have given it away to me. I haven’t walked away from a battle but you can bet I’m gonna now. :joy:
All of this info now makes me even more angry that I keep getting weekly Gobber duties with “kill 30 defender dragons” etc, but they don’t put any defenders out to fight. I haven’t gotten a Gobber weekly pack in like 3 weeks. What a cheat! :woman_facepalming:t2:

Ugh. Thanks for your insight. Unfortunately, Brawl won’t be as fun for me now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but it will stop me from buying any of those token packs if I ever get the mind to!

2 Likes

What makes brawl tolerable for me is not worrying about it so much. In particular, once you’ve hit the highest arena tier, don’t worry about losing (or even throwing) fights. If I’m brawling to try to complete one of those annoying duties (BTW, do you really get 30? For me the duty is only 15), I’ll often close and restart the game the instant I see the opponent lineup doesn’t have any dragon I need to beat. You can do this 6-8 times (depending if you have the ‘extra trophies’ statue) per fight you actually win and still break even. I’ll also focus on the dragon I need to defeat, even if it means losing the match overall.

BTW, I hope you know this already, but maybe, like me, you are only realizing later than you’d like… DO NOT upgrade your highest-grade dragons. Because both Brawl and Gauntlet opponents are based on the grades of your three highest grade dragons (regardless whether you even use those), it is actively counterproductive because it will lock you in to only being able to effectively use those dragons (and will exacerbate how far behind your champions are). What you want to do is upgrade every other dragon to the same grade as your third-best so that you have a full roster of equally-useful dragons. Then and only then consider going any higher.

I have a few 16’s that are going to stay 16 until every other dragon is also 16. (Upgrading isn’t actually completely pointless, as you get better evade stats, but its not worth making most of your team unusable.)

2 Likes

I’d no idea at all about upgrading the highest dragons. It never occurred me, cause I was operating under the PVP assumption. I am currently using the highest grade ones even tho I left my favorites behind. I won’t upgrade them any more, and with any luck I can bring back my favs. I am running all 3 at 16 right now and that’s where they will stay.

No,I don’t get 30 defeats. I get the same 15 cunning, 15 protector, etc. and as soon as you set me straight yesterday I hit the white flag as soon as I lose one dragon on purpose and go to the next fight to find the dragon I needed. Soon as I defeated that one, I did the same. Took me some time to find 15 protectors, but I got them for a change, thanks to you. :smiley:

Now I’m watching the duties not count my wood collection. I had 1 gig after 2nd day. And it’s been in the same spot since. We’ll see if it ever goes up. I’m beginning to lose hope this game won’t cheat. lol

1 Like

Ah, of course; I didn’t realize you were taking the sum of multiple duties :slightly_smiling_face:. Yup, that’s the same as I get, and yeah, it can be frustrating when you go through like five brawls and never get the class you need. Glad you’ve got the system figured out now!

As for grades… yeah. The good news is if you already have 3 at 16, you can upgrade everyone else at least that high and it won’t hurt you. I’m using 16/15/15, and in my experience you can usually get away with using a 14, or maybe a 13 champion if it’s a dragon you really like or (usually more applicable to Gauntlet) that has abilities that are helpful against a particular opponent.

Good luck getting your favorites back to where you can use them again!

2 Likes

You are correct that there was a period of time where brawl was actual live PvP. there was a timer for each attack and if you didn’t attack quickly enough, you lost your turn. Now it’s just a computer algorithm. If the battles get too hard, I just intentionally lose a round or two and go right back to winning. Problem is that it’s just arbitrary. No matter what level you have your dragons leveled to, the opponent dragons will be right there with you.

2 Likes