Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #10 - Ankyntrosaurus

Ankyntrosaurus

This heavily armoured horned lizard is a gentle giant. Along with its defensive spikes, it inherited herd behaviour from the kentrosaurus. It grazes in groups larger than any other Ankylosaur.

Base DNA: Ankylosaurus and Kentrosaurus.
Rarity: Legendary.
Metahub Tier: Alpha.
Health: 5100.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 115.
Defense: 30%
Critical Chance: 5%

Nullifying Strike.
Thagomizer.
Instant Invincibility.
Instant Distraction.
Counter-Attack.

DNA used for: Trykosaurus.

So, thoughts on this hybrid dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

6 Likes

It’s a good tank, I’m personally going for Ankylosaurus’s other hybrid, Rajakylosaurus which will then be used for Diorajasaur. After I get Rajakylosaurus I’ll probably get this one. Also why does it get nullifying strike? If I recall correctly, Ankylosaurus nor Kentrosaurus get any nullify abilities. Weird…

1 Like

I’ve had this hybrid for quite a while now and every time I have used it It has been a complete waste of space. It dies to another that munches armour and shields, and it never seems to put out enough damage. Not sure where Metahub get the idea that Ankyntrosaurus is an Alpha level animal. I find my experiences odd as it seems a fair few seem to rave about it.

It can be a pain to deal with when used properly. Mine is at a level 20 and I have dispatched many a raptor with the instant distract and instant invincibility. While the counter-attack isn’t as good as raja, I like bringing it in after a bleeder (optimal when I can swoop into it) to delay the fight while they bleed out.

5 Likes

I never thought of the benefit of using in conjunction with a bleeder, that’s great! It’s been prior to 1.5 since mine has seen any action.

4 Likes

I used it in the scary epic strike tower last weekend and it worked perfectly. It also works well when you can switch to it after draco2 to break them down a little bit more before bringing draco back in for clean up.

3 Likes

I’m changing my mind on this one. I recently swapped out Postimetrodon for Anky and where it did nothing for me before, now it is pulling its weight in every battle I use it. Still wouldn’t call it an Alpha tier animal but much happier with it now.

1 Like

It’s a good dino for what it does which is survive and slow the pace of a battle. I made it because it looks cool and has an awesome hybrid. Right now my team isn’t really compatible with it but when I finally set up a status and bleed team I’m sure it will shine.

If you time it’s moves right it can take out an indoraptor and indominus as well as a few other chompy dinos

2 Likes

Da spiky potato!

2 Likes

The 1.7 update drops Ankyntrosaurus health from 5100 down to 5070. Not a huge drop so makes me wonder why it was considered necessary? I’ll still keep it on my team for the moment even so.

Thoughts?

My thoughts:

This dino is already closed to balanced well. But now with stat tweaking it could be monsterous.

1 Like

That’s a good point that hadn’t crossed my mind. It would make sense to reduce certain stats ready for the boosts.

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Metahub Tier: Apex Low.
Health: 4980.
Defence: 30%
Critical chance: 5%

Nullifying Strike.
Thagomizer.
Instant Invincibility.
Instant Distraction.
Medium Counter-Attack.

In the last year Ankyntrosaurus seen a bit of a health drop for some reason but has otherwise remained unchanged. I still run into this hybrid occasionally in the Arena so it must still be reasonably viable to include on a team. Anyone still using Ankyntrosaurus and if so how do you feel works in the current meta?

3 Likes

I don’t use it and never have and personally it think many people feel the same way as me. It is more likely to see Stegodeus and Trago and even they aren’t super common. I think most people just use it as a stepping stone to Tryko. Even with the counter, distract and Shield, it falls to get enough damage out

2 Likes

agreed, especially after seeing 3 separate indoms in arena 4 this morning, I think it wouldn’t be thought as great with all these chompers running feral and unchecked in the lower arena.

1 Like

That’s the problem with tanks like this these days. Too many armour eaters ans shield breaks for them to be worth playing anymore. To be viable now they would need a health boost and a damage upgrade.

Back in Lockwood Estate when I was lacking final team members, I had Ankyn on my team. Actually managed to take down an Indoraptor all on his own (before the dodge nerf/immunities were given)!

Also, this happened. So yeah, whilst I don’t use him anymore, he was a good team member back then.

1 Like

Health: 4980.
Defence: 30%

Nullifying Strike.
Thagomizer.
Instant Invincibility.
Instant Distraction.
Medium Counter-Attack.
Immune to Vulnerability.

The recent updated added the immunity to vulnerability which seems to be what all the ankylosaur type creatures are now getting as their thing. As I mentioned on recent updates I don’t think it is a big change just something to bring her in line with other ankylosaurs.

jwa

Health: 3900.
Damage: 900.
Speed: 109.
Defence: 40%

Superior Vulnerability.
Group Taunting Shields Strike.
Instant Invincibility Taunt.
Taunting Rampage.
Medium Resilient Counter Attack.

Resistant to speed decrease (50%), Taunt (100%) and Vulnerable (100%).

Going through these creature alphabetically, Ankyntrosaurus is the first to make a big change compared to her previous 1.0 self. She has seen a significant 1000 point drop in health and 100 point drop in damage. Defence has been buffed to a nice 40%. But it has her abilities that have largely changed. Gone is her basic nullifying attack (now confined to her counter attack) and she has gained some defence potential and a rampage attack! On one hand I would say Ankyntrosaurus has seen a nerf but I think she has been changed to be a suitable option for certain Raid opponents. I could be wrong but that is how I now read her stats and abilities.

The only thing that in my mind goes against the Raid option is the drastic drop in health. To keep Ankyntrosaurus alive now you’ll need a dedicated healer or I don’t think she will do so well.

What are your thoughts on the changes to Ankyntrosaurus under 2.0 and how will she be best played now?

1 Like

She is really good. The reason I beat the Haast Eagle Incubator 2 weeks ago and she’s only level 16 :grin: @Colin_Goodman

1 Like