Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #11 - Apatosaurus

Alankylosaurus

Apatosaurus is a dinosaur which lived approximately 150 million years ago during the Jurassic Period. This dinosaur was first discovered in 1877 by Othniel Charles Marsh and was promptly named Apatosaurus ajax. In 1917, a second specimen was found and it was named Apatosaurus louisae. Since then, several specimens have been found in parts of Colorado, Oklahoma and Utah. The name Apatosaurus means “deceptive lizard”. It was given this name by Othniel Charles Marsh because its bones resembled the bones of other dinosaurs, particularly Mosasaurs.

While it was alive, Apatosaurus was gigantic. It was about 90 feet long, about 15 feet tall at the hips and weighed approximately 38 tons. Thankfully, this animal was a herbivore, which means that it diet consisted of mainly leaves and other plant material. It had chisel like teeth that could quickly remove the leaves from branches, but it didn’t chew up the plant material with its teeth. No, scientists now believe that these animals swallowed stones to help them grind up plant material in their stomachs. Rocks used in this way are called gizzard stones or gastrolithes.

Computer simulations have concluded that these dinosaurs could move their tails like bull whips, meaning that they could make a cracking sound with them by whipping them at high velocicity. These computer simulations have estimated that if these dinosaurs could indeed crack their massive tails, then it would have been louder than the firing of a cannon. It would have been useless however, as a weapon and most likely would have been used for other purposes.

Most people refer to the Apatosaurus as the Brontosaurus. That’s because of a naming error that occurred early on in the discovery of these dinosaurs. The first one was named Apatosaurus, but one that was found later was called Brontosaurus. The public latched on to the name Brontosaurus however, and it stuck. Unfortunately, according to scientific convention the oldest name is the proper name to use.

Rarity: Common.
Metahub Tier: Scavenger.
Health: 6000.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 101.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Pinning Strike.
Decelerating Impact.

DNA used for: Nodopatosaurus.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

Best health in the game presently but it is just a speed bump. While it deals an average damage, it’s attacks are just there to stop you swapping (handy with the current swap favoured teams) and to slow you down. For me this animal is just bland and while it may be worth including early on in your career, it is more or less just a DNA farm for getting Nodopatosaurus.

By itself, it can be used by beginners for a while until they are able to build nodopatosaurus. Other than that, poor apatosaurus just becomes yet another dino people just farm for DNA.

As HP go, this sauropod is impressive. At lower levels, it can stay in a fight for a while. Other sauropods like Argentinosaurus or Amargasaurus don’t have the same HP. To me, this seems a bit off, since Argentinosaurus was way larger in size than apatosaurus - it should have been given more HP.

But it’s okay the way it currently stands.

very popular with the ladies. :wink:

he is a component to many great dinos including my favorite, gigaspikasaur.

Fun Fact about me; I never knew Apatosaurus was a dinosaur until JWA, I always assumed every long-neck was a Branchiosaurus. Actually, I never knew alot of these existed like Secodontosaurus, Ophicodon, Gorgosaurus, Pyroraptor, Ouranosaurus and alot more, JWA taught me more than school did lol.

Anyways onto Apatosaurus, like a bunch of people already said, it’s really just DNA farm for Nodopatosaurus. Even at lower levels if you can get an Amargasaurus or that blue rare long-neck (I really can’t spell his name lol) then there’s no real reason to use Apatosaurus as your tank.

I do find it odd that so many dinosaurs in the game seem to just be DNA farms for hybrids. I really would think every dinosaur should be viable in sine way.

Is giga worth leveling? :thinking: been debating on it for a while lol pros and cons? (Assuming you use it and it isnt just your favorite dino to have :sweat_smile:)

pros it has armor, shield. that combo allows it to live long. decelerate paired with its rampage after, really takes alot of health away. aswell as the counterstrike. its the only dino that i like to use lockdown with. i actually spam the button if i know i can trap someone lol. its great to swap in surprisingly to take out the enemy that is on final health. cons, its a big piece of meat that cant cleanse and there are alot of sharp teeth and bleeders out there. i dont start with her. i think her best spot is 3rd or 4th in if it goes that far.

The counter attack is interesting indeed, just wondering how she compares with stegod (who i also currently use as 3rd or 4th).