Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #120 - Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch was a dinosaur which lived around 65 million years ago during the late Cretaceous Period. It was first discovered in the Hell Creek Formation in Montana by Peter Galton and Hans- Dieter Sues. It was named Stygimoloch—a name which means “demon from the river Styx”. It was given this name because its skull looked very much like a demon from Christian art.

Stygimoloch was a small herbivore that was approximately 10 feet long, 3 feet high and weighed around 170 pounds. It was bipedal—meaning that it walked on two legs—and had bony spikes on its skull, some of which were 4 inches long. It is believed that these horns were used by males as they competed for females.

An interesting fact about Stygimoloch is that some paleontologists now believe that what is called Stygimoloch was actually a juvenile version of a Pachycephalosaurus. At this point, it is just a theory and it hasn’t yet been confirmed whether or not this is the case.

This dinosaur probably lived off a diet of horsetails, gingkos, cycads, seed ferns and club mosses. It probably didn’t require a lot of food to keep these dinosaur alive. Probably only about 10-20 pounds of vegetation were needed a day for this dinosaur’s survival.

Rarity: Epic.
Metahub Tier: Alpha.
Health: 3000.
Damage: 1400.
Speed: 129
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

DNA can be used for: Paramoloch.

Impact and Run.
Instant Charge.
Shielding Strike.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?`

3 Likes

I had this dinosaur on my team for a long time. So long in fact, that at one stage, this was going to be one of my endgame dinos!
Really love Stygi, very helpful in those lower arenas.

1 Like

As a kid, I absolutely loved the “headbutting” dinos, but I never got enough of their DNA in order to have them be useful, whether on its own or as part of Paramoloch…

1 Like

And “bump” goes the Stygimoloch

Personally I have never used it. It has never fitted with my play style.

IMG_20190417_183916

3 Likes

The 1.7 updated increased damage from 1400 to 1440.

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Metahub Tier: Alpha High.
Health: 3150.
Damage: 1500.

Shielding Strike.
Impact and Run.
Instant Charge.

Stygimoloch has received an increase to both health and damage. She has fair damage but something about her just doesn’t grab me. She doesn’t feel like an Epic dinosaur and certainly not that high on the tier scale.

Her DNA does go to a very good hybrid though, Paramoloch - one of my hated foes in the Arena. If nothing else building towards that hybrid is worth collecting her DNA.

What are your thoughts on this dinosaur in the current game?

Love Stiggy, although it is a bit annoying that I keep getting it’s DNA. I ran it for long time, from the time I unlocked it right up till lower Lockdown, where much of my team was finally replaced by Legendaries and Procerathomimus.

Good damage, good swap-utility and speed, overall, solid dino.

1 Like

Artist Unknown

Tier: TBA.
Health: 3150.
Damage: 1500.

Shielding Strike.
Impact and Run.
Instant Charge.

Stygimoloch has not changed under the recent updates. Her stats and abilities unchanged. I would say though that she is a low end Epic as she just doesn’t have what it takes to me awesome. She has some decent damage but her abilities are fairly bland. I really don’t think that Stygimoloch is Alpha level.

Stygimoloch doesn’t appear to be a Raid based creature but I think she could be suitable for tournaments though.

What are your thoughts on Stygimoloch since the recent updates?

1 Like

The second to last non hybrid (the last being erliko) I dropped from my team. It’s actually a solid starter and can really mess up your opponent if you play it right.

2 Likes

On the contrary, stigy us a force to be reckoned with. It sucks that there is no swap-in on it, but it’s still nothing to dismiss. It can kill all sorts of creatures from chompers like rex and allo to resilients like pachy, to cunnings like dilo and mono. It’s really strong, and with a setup, can either go for the simple swap, or stun and swap. And, if there’s a rhino or nasuto at the end of that impact and run, then whatever comes in is gonna take a beating

1 Like

That’s interesting as I’ve never done well with her myself.

It’s only lackluster feature is the hp, but that’s it. Good moveset with great attack and speed as well as a ton of utility.

2 Likes

Same here, I still had Stygi on my team well into Lockdown. It’s good in strike towers too.

2 Likes