Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #130 - Triceratops

The Triceratops is a quadrupedal herbivore that lived during the late Cretaceous period—or about 68 million years ago. This dinosaur was first discovered near Denver, Colorado in 1887. When it was first discovered it was believed to have been an unusual type of bison. However, it was discovered rather quickly that this wasn’t just an unusual form of bison but was actually a dinosaur. Since then, Triceratops specimens have been found all over North America. The name of this dinosaur translates into “3 horned face” from the Greek “Tri” meaning three and the word “keratops” meaning face.

It is believed that Triceratops ate mostly low growth vegetation such as ferns and shrubbery. Scientists believe that their large volume of teeth suggested that they ate large volumes of fibrous plant material each day and that these large batteries of teeth were needed to replace the ones that were damaged by wear and tear.

Currently, there are two theories which suggest what the horns of the Triceratops were used for. One theory says that this dinosaur’s horns were used to defend itself in combat against other dinosaurs—particularly the T- Rex—which is known to have been the mortal enemy of this animal. The second theory suggests that this animal’s horns served a very limited purpose in combat and was instead used during courtship rituals.

Although the word Triceratops means 3 horned face, this dinosaur actually only had 2 proper horns. The third horn was made out of soft proteins and wasn’t a proper horn. In fact, scientists aren’t really sure what the purpose of this false horn is. Another interesting fact about triceratops is that almost one third of the length of the Triceratops was its skull. A typical Triceratops was approximately 26 feet long (or 8 meters), while its skull was approximately 7 feet long (or 2.33 meters long).

The Triceratops could weigh anywhere between 6 and 12 tons. Which is about the weight of a modern diesel truck. This dinosaur measured over 10 feet in height. That is as tall as a first story building. This dinosaur has approximately 400 to 800 teeth during the course of its lifetime. However, it didn’t use all of these teeth at one time. It was constantly replacing them throughout its lifetime as it wore them out.

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: Omega.
Health: 4740.
Damage: 1200.
Speed: 115.
Defence: 20%
Critical chance: 5%

DNA can be used for: Stegoceratops.

Greater Stunning Impact.
Greater Stunning Strike.
Strike.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

6 Likes

Has never appeared often enough for me so when I have got Trike DNA and it has always gone into Stegoceratops which is a much better option. Shame as the Triceratops is perhaps the most iconic dinosaur after T Rex.

starfinder

3 Likes

Aww, you made me remember that scene in JW:FK, where there’s a mother and baby caged together; that was cute

2 Likes

Triceratops!
We used to be good friends!
He never had enough armor to defend against the high damage dudes, but he is still a classic dinosaur.

4 Likes

Was pretty good for me when I used him. Was kind of like my tank.

1 Like

Trike was so popular, but now people have forgotten about her just because she isn’t good in PVP.

1 Like

The main iconics… Triceratops, T Rex, and Stegosaurus really should have been better than what they are.

1 Like

Don’t forget apatosaurus

1 Like

True. Apatosaurus would be on that list too.

And the one and only Velociraptor

I wouldn’t class Velociraptor as an iconic. Not a classic dinosaur anyway. Until Jurassic Park most people probably hadn’t heard of it.

Don’t confuse Velociraptor’s previous fame with Deinonychus’

But Apatosaurus is Godly…

3 Likes

Apparently Triceratops never actually existed.It was mis-identified as a different species but by the time this was discovered, Triceratops was already the accepted name so they kept it.

2 Likes

Huh, let’s hope that dinos like Stygimoloch, Dracorex and even Raptorex stay like Triceratops

Was it Horner who said that? I remember watching the Ted talk (or similar) on Youtube last year. He says similar with the Dracorex, Stgymoloch and Pachycephalourus. I see where he was coming from by I didn’t quite believe it.

A quick search found it.

Worth a watch.

1 Like

Nice. :slight_smile: Yeah triceratops is supposedly a species called Torosaurus.

2 Likes

I think my problem with his theory is that to my knowledge only he has done the tests he mentions, meaning that he could just own a juvenile of one, an adolescent of another and an adult of the third (I forget the order he has them in). Also, it seems to shrink the bio-diversity somewhat even if we consider that there are many animals we will never know about it.