Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #133 - Tuojiangosaurus

Tuojiangosaurus (“Tuo River Lizard”) was the first stegosaurid to be discovered in China,‭ ‬and today remains the best known from Asia.‭ ‬Tuojiangosaurus itself is seen as a basal‭ (‬primitive) ‬form that displays a standard stegosaurid shape and posture while retaining features that would be lost in later genera.‭ ‬Tuojiangosaurus seems to have been limited to a quadrupedal posture that saw its head held close to the ground where it could feed upon low vegetation.‭ ‬The teeth of Tuojiangosaurus are similar to those of other related dinosaurs and are more suitable for use upon softer vegetation that did not require a lot of pull to remove from the main plants.

Tuojiangosaurus had very distinctive back plates that are tall,‭ ‬narrow and triangular.‭ ‬These plates run from the neck to about half way down on the tail,‭ ‬and like most stegosaurids,‭ ‬were at their largest when over the hips.‭ ‬While early depictions of stegosaurids saw these plates as being for either defence or thermoregulation,‭ ‬modern analysis has found the plates to‭ ‬not‭ ‬really be suitable for either of these purposes.‭ ‬The plates themselves are too weak and brittle to protect against a powerful bite,‭ ‬and not adapted enough for an efficient thermoregulation purpose.‭ ‬This leaves the explanation of inter species display where stegosaurids could recognise others of their‭ ‬kind by the shape and arrangement of the plates which differed between individual genera and species.

One part of Tuojiangosaurus that was almost certainly for defence against predators was the spiked tail or‭ ‘‬thagomizer‭’ ‬as it is known.‭ ‬The spikes on Tuojiangosaurus’s thagomizer were arranged at a forty-five degree angle,‭ ‬and evidence associated with other stegosaurids strongly indicates that this was an active weapon for use against attacking dinosaurs.‭ ‬Whereas the thagomizer spikes of Stegosaurus were used against predators like Allosaurus,‭ ‬the thagomizer of Tuojiangosaurus was likely a defence against similar predatory theropod dinosaurs such as Sinraptor.

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4500.
Damage: 1100.
Speed: 112.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Can be created using DNA from: Touramoloch and Diorajasaur

Distracting Strike.
Superiority Strike.
Thagomizer.
Counter Attack (.25)
Swap-In Slow.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

1 Like

Not the greatest but my L20 Tuo does make occasional appearance in my team.

I enjoyed using her in lower arenas. The swap-in slow often caught other players out.

That is mainly what I have used her for. The other being that she is the only stegosaurid I have at the same level as the rest of my team.

When I got it I noticed it was a bit more trashy than wuerhosaurus, probably that’s why I never used it and is still in lvl 8, and that’s a fact

3 Likes

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4500.
Damage: 1100.
Speed: 112.

Superiority Strike.
Thagomizer.
Distracting Strike.
Swap in Slow.
Minor Counter-Attack.

Tuojiangosaurus has not changed and remains the same old Stegosaurid. I quite like using her for her swap in slow and then keeping the opposing dinosaur slowed. She isn’t a fantastic option but I think for the right corner of the Arena she does fine. Even so, I think she will remain benched largely to be a DNA farm for her two much superior hybrids.

Anyone else other than me use her? What are your thoughts on this dinosaur in the current game?

3 Likes

I used it in the last rare skill tournament. The swap in came in handy, as did the weak counter attack. It’s not useful outside of that though, definitely more beneficial to use as hybrid fodder.

2 Likes

Artist: Masato Hattori

Tier: TBA.
Health: 3600.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 105.

Resilient Strike.
Group Decelerating Strike.
Precise Rampage.
Swap in Slow.
Decelerating Counter.

Tuojiangosaurus has lost a lot of health, damage and speed. It seems odd but I guess it might be a balancing for the new abilities that she has gained although I’m not sure it was needed. Tuojiangosaurus has seen a change in her abilities. She is now a resilient creature with a new precise rampage but otherwise remains the same. The changes are nice but I feel to be really worth playing she needs a better damage stat. She will remain a DNA farm unfortunately.

Tuojiangosaurus is not good enough for Raids in my opinion but she does seem nice enough for the right tournament.

What are your thoughts on Tuojiangosaurus after recent updates and how would you use her now?

1 Like

Tier: Alpha - Low.
Health: 3600.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 105.

Resilient Strike.
Group Decelerating Strike.
Precise Rampage.
Swap in Slow.
Decelerating Counter.

Tuojiangosaurus has not changed since I last updated her entry. I do notice that she has now been placed under the Alpha level tier which I find odd as she’s an improvement over the original, but far from being that good. Tuojiangosaurus has reasonable stats although health and damage both could do with a small increase, and she does have a combination of potential attacks. She will however, suffer greatly to any half way decent creature that is faster and with a high damage output. She’s good but not Alpha level. As it is, Tuojiangosaurus will do fine in the Arena up to a point and is a solid choice in Rare tournaments.

What are your thoughts on Tuojiangosaurus after the recent update?

I really miss old tuoji, she was great vs chompers, mostly slow ones and overall pretty good.

2 Likes