Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #142 - Velociraptor

Velociraptor is a carnivorous dinosaur which lived during the Cretaceous Period—around 75 million years ago. This species of dinosaur was first discovered by Peter Kaisen in the Gobi Desert on August 11th, 1923. A year later, it was given the name Velociraptor. This name combines the Latin word “Velox”, which means swift and the Latin word “Raptor” which means robber.

While this dinosaur has received a lot of attention because it is prominently featured in the Jurassic Park series of movies, scientists believe that the ones in the movie bear little resemblance to those which actually lived in real life. The dinosaurs depicted in these movie were actually based on Deinonychus and not true Velociraptors. In real life, they were only about the size of a turkey and had feathers, and weren’t the man-sized reptilian dinosaurs they were depicted in the film. The average Velociraptor weighed approximately 30 pounds and stood a little bit over 3 feet tall.

Another interesting fact about this dinosaur is that it isn’t believed to have been as fast as it was portrayed in the Jurassic Park films. In fact, most scientists believe that these dinosaurs could run at a top speed of about 40 miles per hour. Much slower than a cheetah (60 mph) or a lion (50 mph), although it is quite a bit faster than a human at top speed (28 mph).

According to the latest research, it is believed that the Velociraptor hunted and scavenged for small animals. Its diet most likely consisted of reptiles, small mammals, insects and smaller dinosaurs. Although it is usually depicted as being an aggressive hunter in the movies, more than likely it was more of a scavenger than a hunter.

starfinder

Rarity: Common.
Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 1950.
Damage: 1320.
Speed: 132
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

DNA can be used for: Indominus Rex and Indoraptor.

Pounce.
Strike.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

2 Likes

I loved Velociraptor at the start of the game and it was a long time before I made the decision to remove it from my team (even though she is L20). While other raptors have come in and taken her thunder I still like the first strike pounce, which at the time really meant you got to go first.

I never felt that the raptor nerf of 2018 was necessary. Velociraptor is a glass cannon after all. It may put out a lot of damage but it can’t take it back in return.

1 Like

My favourite dinosaur of all time. I have a bit of a raptor figure collection irl, just love this one.

I also agree that the nerf was unnecessary. All a Stegosaurus had to do was use Superiority Strike (after it had been changed to remove distraction), and that was Velociraptor gone. I kept mine on my team until level 20, and even then, a few times I would switch her back in. It’s strange noticing that your opponent makes certain switches just to avoid getting hit by pounce where I was at the time (Ruins), only for it to backfire and you win all because of that first switch.

1 Like

I think it was another case of people overreacting, this time about the speed/damage combo when there were plenty of ways around it. Even more so when new dinosaurs were added.

1 Like

I love Velociraptor. Love her to death.

But I was on the side where I got my butt kicked everytime a raptor came into play. Sure, I may take our raptor, but my team would he half wrecked and it was easy pickings for the rest of the battle.

Have you ever been confronted by a person who had a whole team of raptors? The Pounces were devastating.

That’s why I breathed a sigh of relief when the nerf was implemented. I used Stego a lot, so whenever she was in my team, I would use her to absorb a raptor pounce and take it out, given that the person doesn’t switch out.

I used Raptor every now and again but I mainly used other raptors like Pyro and Pyrri. Then Pyrri got nerfed… Such a tragedy :cry::confounded:

1 Like

I remember that when discussing about indoraptor I said that I nicknamed my Velociraptor “Rocket”

1 Like

3 Likes