Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #145 - Brontotherium

Lythronax

Brontotherium was a large rhino-like megafauna mammal which lived approximately 38 to 33 million years ago during the Late Eocene Period through the Early Oligocene Period in what is now known as North America. It is an animal that scientists have discovered over and over again. When it was first discovered, it was known as Megacerops. Then it was known as Brontops and then Titanops. Today, we know it as both Megacerops – which means “large horn face” and Brontotherium – a name which means “thunder face.”

If you look at Brontotherium pictures, then you could almost mistake this mammal to a rhino. It was about 16 feet long and weighed around 3 tons and had a large horn jutting from its face. However, it is only distantly related to the modern rhinoceros. It is actually in the same family as prehistoric horses.

Brontotherium probably lived on a variety of different plants that were endemic to North America at that time. It probably would have had to eat over 120 pounds, maybe even as much as 200 pounds, of plant material a day to just survive.

One of the most interesting facts about Brontotherium, however, is that males of this species probably butted heads for mating rights to females. Much like modern rhinos do. This theory has been supported by several fossils of this animal which shows damage which could have only been sustained by a Brontotherium horn.

Why this megafauna mammal went extinct is currently unknown by paleontologists. It could have been a factor of the changing environment and the introduction of new predators that started the end for this animal. Some scientists have speculated that volcanic eruptions of the Rocky Mountains contributed to their demise.

starfinder

Rarity: Common.
Metahub Tier: Scavenger.
Health: 4800.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 109
Defence: 25%
Critical chance: 5%

Defensive Stance.
Definite Rampage.

So, thoughts on this megafauna? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

2 Likes

Personally I am not a fan of Brontotherium. Even as a Common it doesn’t stand up well. That you have to alternate from defense (easily countered these days) to reasonable attack, and back again, makes it somewhat pointless for me. I tried it in the recent Open Skill tournament several times and it did not perform well.

I prefer Elasmotherium over Brontotherium, but as of now, every time I use it, the game gets suuuuuper laggy. My moves don’t show, and I end up using moves that I didn’t choose willingly.

But I digress. Bronto is a little ‘meh’. Yeah, if your opponent is suuuuper slow and can’t chomp through shields, then it’s great. But come on, when does Bronto ever get that lucky?

2 Likes

Elasmotherium is alot better but being a Rare I’d expect that. I too get quite laggy whenever it appears even in the darting screen.

I like the terror birb better as the common cenozic, that said I’ve actually never used Bronto yet, as whenever I try to my poor phone lags way to much, even closes the game it gets so bad. Surprisingly, the Terror Birb doesn’t lag at all for me…

1 Like

Not a fan. It looks passable on paper but just kinda flounders in a fight*

*I reserve the right to change my mind as it gets buffed nerfed or other

1 Like

I’m surprised no one noticed the title, it says dinosaur of the day; and Brontotherium isn’t a Dino! :joy:

1 Like

It’s because dino is a generic term that’s quicker to type.

1 Like

I know but I either stuck to the same title or had to make a cenozoic of the day and it just didn’t have the same ring. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t really used it yet. But with chompers everywhere, I doubt it would stand much of a chance tbh.

Would it be better if you had option of both abilities to start and then after use definite rampage went every other turn?

Yes it would.

Also swapping the insta cleanse with the damage.

Insta damage and regular cleanse. Other wise your cleansing before the status effect is applied.

1 Like

I’m just laughing at it, not complaining

1 Like