Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #148 - Marsupial Lion

Lythronax

Thylacoleo was a carnivorous marsupial which lived approximately 2 million to 40,000 years ago – from the Pleistocene through the Modern Period. It was first discovered during the 19th century and was described and named by Richard Owen in 1859. He gave it the name Thylacoleo, which means “marsupial lion.”

At one point in time, it was believed that many of the large marsupials of Australia (such as the giant wombat) were able to prosper so well because there was a lack of predators that they had to deal with. However, this theory was forever put to rest when Thylacoleo was discovered. As you can tell from Thylacoleo pictures, this animal was just as dangerous as any of the big cats are today. It would have preyed on Procoptodon and many of the koala and kangaroo species of the time. And while the giant wombat (Diprotodon) was too big to have to worry about this predator, more than likely Thylacoleo preyed on the young of Diprotodon.

This large carnivorous predator was approximately 5 feet long and weighed around 200 pounds. It had sharp, rodent-like front teeth and along those teeth were smaller razor sharp teeth that scientists originally thought were designed for eating fruits and nuts, but later evaluation determined they were actually used for biting through bone.

One of the strangest facts about Thylacoleo is that it had a very strong tail. This was probably used in a way that allowed it to rear up on its back legs. This would have been an advantageous adaptation because many other large marsupials during that time could also rear up on their tails to fight with their front claws.

It is believed that human beings were responsible for the extinction of Thylacoleo. Human hunters most likely hunted the animals these marsupial lions preyed upon into extinction, and this, in turn, led to its extinction. There is also proof that humans hunted these animals directly – as shown by several cave paintings from that time.

starfinder

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: TBA.
Health: 3750.
Damage: 800.
Speed: 117
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 40%

Minor Rending Attack.
Prowl.
Rending Takedown.
Counter Attack (.25)

So, thoughts on this megafauna? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

3 Likes

I want to like the Marsupial Lion as it has some nice abilities but when your damage is that low, is it worth it? Thoughts?

1 Like

I have yet to encounter Marsupilion in the wild! :sob: I wonder if rending attacks lower the importance of the attack stat?

1 Like

I saw my first one in the wild this afternoon but it was just beyond my range and in the wrong direction.

1 Like

I find them super common on Thursday and have just informed them now

2 Likes

This Lion is a beast with her moves. I love her. After the successful dodge from her Prowl, she will have an amazing Crit of 90% combined with 0.5x max Hp damage, which equals to 75% of health damage. And don’t forget, that small counter also gets a crit.
If we get the dodge worked our way, this beast can take down at least 1 dino. I use her pretty much in friendly battles. Also she is really fun to play in the tournament.

1 Like

This thing literally is a dropbear.

1 Like

I may have to reconsider this one then. Mine is only 6th

Bug of 1.7 release #148 - Marsupial Lion

Able to reduce your phone to 5 frames per minute when it appears anywhere on the map, like all the new 1.7 dinos.

@Colin_Goodman it is certainly worth including on your team, If you battle anyone on a Huawei phone, they will time out rendering the model and you’ll 3-0 :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s nice enough not great but nice. The low damage is offset by the greater rending attack

Is mostly a set style of play though prowl rend prowl rend.

It’s HP is pretty low as is its speed. You really need to boost it or bring it in on a slower dino for it to work since it’s slow and loses

1 Like

I have yet to find another Marsupial Lion. I found one last week, but thanks to the wonky darting speed, I could only get 70-something out of 100. Any other lions are either out of range or non existent.

I actually just got done fighting a level 22 Marsupial Lion in the arena. Ummmm, is there a hidden lion’s den somewhere? Cause that’s ridiculous for something that’s shown up only three times total.

1 Like

It’s been very prominent in my areas.

Huh, so this creature inspired the drop bear legend

2 Likes

Everytime I faced one in the tournament my screen would freeze on this move haha

I was hoping to try the Marsupial lion out more but phorusrhacos is the only one the new ones that doesn’t lag my phone. also, now i want Diprotodon to be in the game…