Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #150 - Smilodon

Lythronax

Smilodon is an extinct saber-toothed cat which lived approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago – from the Early Pleistocene Period through the Modern Period. It was first discovered during the early 19th century and was named by Peter Wilhelm Lund in 1842. This cat’s name means “saber-tooth.”

One of the most fascinating facts about Smilodon is that while it is often referred to as a saber-toothed tiger, it really wasn’t a tiger. No, tigers are in fact descended from the Panthera tigris family. Smilodon is actually distantly related to modern lions and cheetahs.

Just by looking at Smilodon pictures, you can clearly see that these cats were very ferocious. They were approximately 5 feet long, 3 feet high and weighed around 440 pounds. That makes them smaller than a modern lion in length but is also means they were a little bit heavier.

What seems really scary about these cats, however, were the size of their teeth. Their canine teeth were almost a foot long. However, its teeth were also very brittle and would often break off while they were using them. And once one of their teeth had broken, then it would never come back.

Smilodon also had jaws that were exceptionally weak. This combination of weak jaws and brittle teeth meant that this carnivore really couldn’t bite down with much force. That’s not to say they weren’t dangerous because that isn’t true at all. These big cats still managed to take down their prey without a whole lot of problems.

Paleontologists believe that it hunted by jumping down on its prey from tree branches. Then when it landed on its prey, it sunk its teeth into its neck. It would then leave its prey to bleed to death and then when it was dead, it would come back and eat it.

At this point in time, paleontologists aren’t sure if Smilodon was a solitary cat or if it hunted in packs. Some of the fossils that have been found were cats that lived well into old age. Since they wouldn’t have been able to do that without some protection from a pack of cats, then it seems like Smilodon may have lived in packs after all.

starfinder

Rarity: Epic.
Metahub Tier: Alpha.
Health: 3000.
Damage: 1460.
Speed: 129
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Evasive Strike.
Precise Pounce.
Prowl.

So, thoughts on this megafauna? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m surprised no one has commented on this one.

I really like this one and once it has a few levels it might be the only cenozoic so far that I’d use on my team.

1 Like

I would but it’s about the same as my other cenozoics opinions lol

1 Like

I’ve faced a few up at level 25 and boosted… Not bad. Still died. It is definitely a good one for the price now that it’s a daily. but I think marsupial lion is the better of the two.

1 Like

The Saber Toothed Cat as many call it can be quite formidable. Precise pounce is a very powerful move that is basically a defense shattering and evasive bypassing pounce, which we know is already a good move.

1 Like

Nah it doesn’t defense shatter or bypass Armour, that would be the theorerical definite pounce. It just bypasses evasive / cloak, and doesn’t null them.

That said smilodon is a dangerous bugger. Very effective against other fast and frailish offensive Dinos, whereas marsupial lion is more of a tank killer.

4 Likes

What time of day does this one appear? It’s a Monday and the other Mondays are out in abundance but I’ve yet to see a single one of these :confused:

According to the JWA field guide, it’s a global spawn any time and everywhere just Mondays. I haven’t seen one either today.

I got lucky and one showed up at my house right around 8:30 am EST. Haven’t seen anymore today tho.

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Metahub Tier: Alpha High.
Damage: 1400.

Evasive Strike.
Precise Pounce.
Prowl.

Smiolodon has seen a small decrease in damage but otherwise she remains the same. After all this time I still think she is quite good and worth fielding but I feel now she has a plateau point after which she doesn’t quite keep up. After that point I imagine you just move to her hybrid, Smilocephalosaurus, who is a much better choice for higher up the Arenas. Low to mid level Arenas, I think she can still hold her own quite well.

What are your thoughts on this cenozoic in the current game?

What if prowl’s dodge lasted into the next action? It’s a nice build up protection but if the opponent is faster you’re still going to get chopped.

I’m 180/250 on Smilonemys. I ran Smilodon for a while when I was lower down. It was decent, evasive strike mixed with precise pounce got some good results. Can’t wait to unlock the unique now going straight in my team

1 Like

Artist: J.H. Rosny-Aîné

Tier: TBA.
Damage: 1500.

Evasive Strike.
Precise Pounce.
Prowl.

Smilodon has seen a damage increase but otherwise, stats and abilities both, remain unchanged. Smilodon remains a fair creature for her rarity. I would have said really good if we were not presently in a Resilient meta ( :cry: ). If you have to pick her for the right opponent now. Even though we have this anti-dodge meta I do think that prowl needs it’s dodge effect to extend into her next action so that she benefits from it when she makes an attack.

Smilodon is not really suitable for Raid battles but she should do okay for tournaments.

What are your thoughts on Smilodon after recent updates and how would you use her now?

1 Like