Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #166 - Carbonemys

The Carbonemys holotype remains were first discovered in a coal mine,‭ ‬and since coal is essentially fossilised carbon,‭ ‬the name Carbonemys was chosen for the genus.‭ ‬The form of the shell is very interesting as it indicates that Carbonemys would have been a member of the Pleurodira,‭ ‬a group better known as the‭ ‘‬side-necked turtles‭’‬.‭ ‬Side-necked turtles tend to have proportionately longer necks than other turtles,‭ ‬which means that they are too long to retract inwards under the shell.‭ ‬Because of this problem,‭ ‬these turtles instead bend their necks to one side so that they lay against the body and under the ridge of the carapace‭ (‬upper shell‭)‬,‭ ‬hence the name‭ ‘‬side-necked turtle‭’‬.

Of course,‭ ‬being of a physically large size means that not many predators would pose a threat to you.‭ ‬However,‭ ‬even though the dinosaurs seem to have gone extinct from South America just a few millions of years before the first known of appearance of Carbonemys,‭ ‬giant super predators had already appeared on the landscape.‭ ‬For example,‭ ‬the giant snake Titanoboa,‭ ‬which at the time of writing may be the largest snake so far discovered,‭ ‬is also known from the same formation as Carbonemys.‭ ‬The presence of a giant turtle and a giant snake at the same time as one another is a good indication as to the kinds of fauna that rose up to replace the ecological gaps that were left behind by the extinction of the dinosaurs,‭ ‬and would continue to be quite dominant until the combined rise of mammals and birds.

Skull remains of Carbonemys are also known,‭ ‬and the form of the skull indicates that Carbonemys had a very strong bite.‭ ‬One idea is that these jaws may have been used for crunching through the armoured bodies of crocodiles such as the genus Cerrejonisuchus,‭ ‬which as the name suggests is also from the Cerrejón Formation.‭ ‬However it must be remembered that the mouth of Carbonemys could have been used to kill either animals or crop vegetation,‭ ‬or perhaps even both.‭ ‬We also can’t look to other modern turtles of the Pleurodira because some genera are carnivorous while others are herbivorous,‭ ‬which can only further confusion as to the speculated diet of Carbonemys.‭ ‬Only the stomach contents of multiple individuals of Carbonemys could give us a‭ ‬clearer idea as to the exact diet of this genus.

8de68ea2-0b3f-4a88-bc21-45fe6640cc88

Rarity: Epic.
Metahub Tier: TBA.
Health: 4020.
Damage: 900.
Speed: 104.
Defence: 60%
Critical chance: 5%

Superior Vulnerability.
Dig In.
Devastation.
Immune to Damage Over Time…

So, thoughts on this cenozoic? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

2 Likes

I haven’t seen big ol’ Oogway yet

1 Like

I haven’t see any of the new cenozoic animals yet. :cry:

I have yet to see any of them as well. I reaaaaally want to play with Eledont too… Er, uh… Carbonemys as well. Want to get started on the hybrids.

1 Like

Seems like a good dino to go after. If only park scents actually worked.

1 Like

Somebody threw out a level 11 one amongst their 21-24 team today.

That 50% defense is a nightmare without the right dino.

1 Like

Changed my team to a random team and went to the arena lol.

4 Likes

Seriously, at this point I don’t believe in its existence in my geographical length, this thing is harder to find than Santa Clause :expressionless:

1 Like

Makes me wanna drop a couple of arenas and use my newly acquired legendaries and epics :slight_smile: Looks fun! I never played with 80% of the game’s dinos.
Why didn’t you do superiority strike at 1:50? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was also wondering about the same thing.

Okay that is why I didn’t use that move there. I needed instant move. I needed to do that to get instant rampage back! Against Utahsino. Who is faster speed. Phoru was only faster because of the side step speed up. I thought it might dodge and to be faster than what else comes out since I had no boost lol.

1 Like

Carbomenys is arguably one of the best tanks in the game. 60% defence and superior vulnerability allows it to do triple damage with just using vulnerability twice. Then if you use devastation it can do 5 times more damage than its base attack stat. Then add on dig in. It becomes super turtle.

1 Like

Actually, Vulnerability stacks. So it does 3.5x base damage over two turns, using Superior Vulnerability successively.
Then using Devastation while the opponent is Vulnerable, that’s another 4.5 times base damage.

1 Like

Oh sorry i just did quick math during battle and saw 3 and 5 times damage.

No worries

1 Like

It has promise with its armor. I used it in tournament and was somewhat impressive. More than likely if used, it would be seriously boost dependent.

1 Like

Oddly enough my isn’t boosted, i love using it as a opener, good at disabling raptors and great at having the opponent swap in to their high damage t rex. And murder their t rex with my faster one.

2 Likes

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Rarity: Epic.
Tier: Alpha High…
Health: 3540.
Damage: 900.
Speed: 104.
Defence: 60%
Critical chance: 5%

Superior Vulnerability.
Dig In.
Devastation.
Immune to Damage Over Time.
Immune to Invulnerability.

Carbonemys has seen a drop in health and the addition to a immunity to vulnerability, keeping her in line with similar creatures like the Ankylosaurids. She remains a very handy creature to use but is extremely vulnerable (pun not intended) to an half way decent chomper who goes right through that shell. Speed doesn’t really matter on this one and I see her frequently in the Arena with highly boosted health and damage. I think a lot of people are probably using her now for her hybrids but I think Carbonemys will remain a good staple in the Arena for a while to come.

What are your thoughts on this cenozoic beastie in the current game?

1 Like

Still one of the strongest epics, however not broken anymore

1 Like

It was an unnecessary drop in HP.