Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #168 - Entelodon

Along with Daeodon from North America and Paraentelodon from Asia,‭ ‬Entelodon is one of the largest currently known entelodonts,‭ ‬Eocene to Miocene era mammals that are interpreted as pig-like although their exact relationship to pigs is still strongly debated.‭ ‬The broad distribution of Entelodon species across Eurasia reveal that it was a successful animal.‭ ‬This success may have been down to an omnivorous diet which means that Entelodon had the capability to switch and adapt to different food sources.‭ ‬Additionally the large size of Entelodon not only meant that fully grown adults were unlikely to be attacked by creodont predators such as Hyaenodon,‭ ‬but Entelodon may have also been in a position to physically drive these predators away from their kills and feed upon the carcasses of animals themselves.

Since the appearance of entelodonts exploded in popular media from the start of the twentieth-first century there has been some confusion over the name Entelodon and the term entelodont with respect to what they mean.‭ ‬In the simplest terms,‭ ‬a group of animals is named after the first of their kind that was described to science.‭ ‬In this case Entelodon was the first of its kind that was described and so its name was used as a basis for the creation of the Entelodontidae.‭ ‬Members of the Entelodontidae are referred to as‭ ‘‬entelodonts‭’ ‬and while this can include the genus Entelodon,‭ ‬it can also include other genera that belong to the group Entelodontidae such as Archaeotherium and Daeodon amongst others.‭ ‬So to reiterate,‭ ‬an entelodont is any animal that belongs to a genus that is assigned to the Entelodontidae,‭ ‬while an Entelodon is an animal that is assigned to the genus Entelodon and because Entelodon is assigned to Entelodontidae,‭ ‬an Entelodon may also be referred to as an entelodont,‭ ‬but not the other way around unless the entelodont in question is actually an Entelodon.‭ ‬This is actually quite easy to pick upon when you remember that genus names like Entelodon always start with a capital letter and are printed in italics,‭ ‬while entelodont is left in standard print and is never capitalised,‭ ‬unless of course it is the first word in a new sentence.

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: TBA.
Health: 4200.
Damage: 1120.
Speed: 122.
Defence: 10%
Critical chance: 5%

Mutual Fury.
Definite Strike.
Defence Shattering Rampage.
Swap in Heal.
Immune to Stuns.

So, thoughts on this megafauna? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’m nicknaming it Wildcat (don’t ask)

1 Like

You do know no one has it yet, right?

3 Likes

Safe to say, this is about as close as any of us are to having our own warthog:

4 Likes

I do know but I always put that on the bottom of the posts to promote discussion.

It looks awesome. I sure wish we could actually get it though.

2 Likes

On a scale from 1-10 how good would the bacon made from it be? Asking for a friend…mostly…

1 Like

It goes up to 11

1 Like

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Metahub Tier: Alpha Low.
Health: 4200.
Damage: 1120.
Defence: 10%
Critical chance: 5%

Mutual Fury.
Definite Strike.
Defence Shattering Rampage.
Swap in Heal.
Immune to Stuns.

Enteldon has not changed since her introduction. She remains a very good low to mid Arena option, capable of tearing down defences and dealing a reasonable amount of damage. If you are slower than the opponent, Mutual Fury helps out even more. Maybe boosted she might come across as a lot better but would anyone boost a Rare like this? However, I cannot remember the last time I faced one in the Arena though.

What are your thoughts on this cenozoic beastie in the current game?

Artist Unknown

Tier: Alpha Low.
Health: 3600.
Damage: 1000.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 30%

Defence Shattering Strike.
Mutual Fury.
Group Shattering Impact.

Resistant to stun (100%).

Something tells me that 2.0 was not kind to poor Entelodon. She has seen a reduction in both health and damage, although her critical chance has improved considerably. It is in her abilities that you see it though, as she lost her definite strike in favour of an purely anti-shield attack and she cannot swap in heal anymore. Entelodon maintains mutual fury although I don’t like that ability in general. I think Entelodon has dropped a little bit in usefulness and I still have not seen one outside of rarity specific tournaments. Now she is just a DNA farm for her two hybrids.

Entelodon is not strong enough Raid material despite the anti-shield abilities. You will always have a better option.

What are your thoughts on Entelodon after 2.0 and how would you use her now?

1 Like

Got hurt hard. Loss of armor and hp is what really did it. MF would be good, if it had a rampage still

1 Like

My issue with Mutual Fury is the same as Ready to Crush. I’d rather have an attack mode now than waste an action that in the case of MF benefits the opposition.