Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #18 - Carnotaurus

Carnotaurus is a dinosaur which lived approximately 72 million years ago during the Late Cretaceous Period. It was first discovered in 1984 by José Bonaparte in Argentina. Because of the bony horn like protrusions from this dinosaur’s skull, it was given the name Carnotaurus, a name which means “flesh eating bull.”

This dinosaur was approximately 30 feet long, stood 10 feet tall and weighed approximately 2 tons. It was a carnivorous bipedal dinosaur that may have had binocular vision—unlike other dinosaurs of the time. That’s because this dinosaur had eyes that were set in front of its skull, while many dinosaurs had eyes on the side of their heads. This means that these dinosaurs probably had pretty good depth perception and binocular vision.

It is also estimated that these dinosaurs were fairly fast. Some computer models suggest that the Carnotaurus could travel at a speed of about 35 miles per hour. This would make it significantly faster than a running human and make it almost as fast as a cougar.

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4050.
Damage: 900.
Speed: 104.
Defence: 10%
Critical chance: 5%

Cleansing Impact.
Short Defense.
Vulnerability Strike.
Defense Shattering Counter

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

6 Likes
Dinosaur of the Day #153 - Purutaurus

Carnotaurus is a dinosaur with a good health but not much else. Low speed, damage and a lack of defence means that this dinosaur will not do well. It cannot compete with other dinosaurs at all in my opinion. Also, I’m sure sure why it is a Rare either.

Wish they hadnt done him so dirty :frowning: My favourite dinosaur!!

1 Like

Give him a unique hybrid already

1 Like

She definately (desperately?) needs a hybrid.

Concavenator does as well, maybe just hybrid these two lol.

1 Like

Carno has been treated poorly in terms of speed and attack. It was extremely fast, due to the massive caudofemoralis muscle in its tail that attached to the animal’s pelvis. In Carno, this muscle was twice as thick as in other carnosaurs, which basically meant that it had explosive speeds (think of an aircraft carrier catapult) reaching up to an estimated 35-40 mph.

While it didn’t have very large teeth, the combination of muscle and speed meant that it most likely rammed into its prey, using its neck muscles to slam the open jaws into the side of a sauropod. While its jaws were relatively weak, they could expand like a snake’s to accommodate bigger bites if necessary.

If anything, Carno should be a bleeder, since the combo of massive blood loss, shock, and tissue damage to its prey is a big indication of Ludia giving our Carnotaurs the short end of the stick.

Up the speed, make it a bleeder, and maybe up the HP. It had armor in real life, as well. Tiny bone scutes and knobs that ran down its back. It wasn’t necessary, but for some reason nature decided to go ahead and give some armor to Carno.

4 Likes

Wasn’t the weak jaw theory debunked? I am pretty sure Robert Bakker, one of the best carnivore experts out there wrote an article about how Carnotaurus has a pretty bone crushing lock mechanic, along with the ability to expand the jaw.

The whole mechanism is comparable to what Payara (Vampire fish, Hydrolycus scomberoides) uses. It expands the jaw forward then it suddenly snaps back in incredible speed, breaking bone and slashing flesh in its way backwards.

2 Likes

That’s muscle strength. I’m talking about the ability of the jawbones to withstand bite force impact. The neck muscles basically shot the head forward and into prey, whereupon the muscular bite action in the jaws would saw away flesh.

When I say “weak jaw”, I mean structurally. Carno had a “glass jaw”. But then again, it wasn’t alone in that regard.

1 Like

Also, the skull was designed to expand. The bones were fitted in such a way that the whole skull could bulge out a bit to help take some of the impact shock. If you look at the animal head-on, it wasn’t as bulky as has been portrayed. The skull was thin and lightweight, which doesn’t make sense when it’s on a huge theropod that can slam into prey at all speed.

Bakker is highly respected, and I do agree with a lot of what he says, but not every theory is quickly proven correct, even by respected paleontologists. True, a lot of theories are based on the behaviors of modern day animals, but there’s nothing alive today that is on the scale of dinosaurs. It’s all well and good to compare to the hunting ability of a tiger, let’s say… But it’s still a theory. A theory that can’t actually be proven as legitimate fact until time travel is invented. And that’s not likely to happen in our lifetime.

1 Like

I’d love to see a bizarre hybrid… something like carnopatosaurus - a carnivore sauropod.

Some JP/JW info on the Carnotaurus

So the Weak jaw statement is suggesting carnotaurus was a scavenger? It was the average size for a theropods to move at quick speeds

The weak jaw theory (that may or may not be the case, as I pointed out, there are counterarguments for that) suggest that:

• A) Because it was a very fast big theropod, it may have hunted Ornithomimosaurids and swallowed them whole, like a snake
  • B) It may have been a giant land piranha, ramming at high speed at a sauropod and biting out a huge chunk of flesh and swallowing it. It may not even kill the sauropod, just bite off giant pieces of meat and eat that.
1 Like

Which could indicate it could hunt in packs it couldn’t attack a large sauropod alone, btw where on this forum can paleo related topics be discussed am I in right place?

2 Likes

Of course you can. Part of setting this up was to discuss individual dinosaurs in a game play and prehistorical perspective.

@Dalek62771 is our resident paleo expert. :slight_smile:

I remember reading that the Carnotaurus was supposed to have a good good bite force to take a chunk from something but not strong enough to engage in a tooth to tooth engagement if that makes sense.

Depends on who you listen to or what article you read. Some suggest that it was good for mainly flesh slicing (like a great white shark), but not enough force to crush strong bones, other opinions include bone crushing (though, by leagues below a Tyrannosaur) jaw locking mechanic, like what Robert Bakker suggested.

It all depends what kind of muscles and arrangement of the skull one choose to use. It’s still a highly debated topic.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think that larger carnosaurs like Carnotaurus were pack hunters on the same scale as the much smaller raptors, but they did hunt in small groups called “gangs” from time to time, especially when bringing down larger prey.

2 Likes

Pack hunting is always a possibility, but we don’t have direct evidence of it, unlike Allosaurus, Mapusaurus and the likes.

2 Likes

Also Daspletosaurus hunted in gangs, which has been proven in the fossil record. It may not have been the only Tyrannosaur to hunt in groups (Gorgosaurus may have also done), but so far Daspletosaurus is the one most documented.

Allosaurs and their kin were gang hunters as well. I guess it really all depended on the types of animals living in a certain area and their size in relation to each other. I mean, any sauropod was a wall of moving meat to carnosaurs, and safety comes in numbers. So the best chance a larger carnosaur had to bring down big prey was to have backup.

2 Likes