Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #182 - Mammotherium

Untitled

Created using DNA from: Elasmotherium and Woolly Mammoth.

Rarity: Legendary.
Metahub Tier: TBA.
Health: 4800.
Damage: 1500.
Speed: 115.
Defence: 20%
Critical chance: 5%

Persistent Ferocious Strike.
Definite Rampage.
Dig In.
Bellow.
Immune to Damage Over Time.

Thoughts on this new cenozoic hybrid?

1 Like

This thing is a beast. Seriously. I honestly think it’s Tyrant class with the damage output and the ability to either slow down the opponent or speed itself up with instant moves. And the Persistent Ferocious Strike can put out some major damage. All I know is this will probably be a staple in the Epic/Legendary tournament this weekend and it has very few 100% counters (article coming about that though :wink:).

6 Likes

It is indeed a beast. I love mine in friendlies.

3 Likes

I really do like the mechanical design. Good damage and stats with abilities to back it up.

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Rarity: Legendary.
Metahub Tier: Tyrant Low.
Health: 4800.
Damage: 1420.
Speed: 115.
Defence: 20%
Critical chance: 5%

Persistent Ferocious Strike.
Definite Rampage.
Dig In.
Bellow.
Immune to Damage Over Time.

The mighty Mammotherium has seen a small drop in damage since she appeared in the game but otherwise remains the same. As others have said, she is quite the beast with excellent damage and some reasonable abilities to go with it. Good but not overpowered. I wouldn’t class her as Tyrant, more Apex, but I could be wrong there. A nice hybrid worth investing in if you can get enough Mammoth DNA.

What are your thoughts on this hybrid in the current game?

a great creature to bring out and turn the tables in the middle of a match. you set her up for an easy revenge kill for a 2-2 and that buffed definite rampage is going to sting your opponent and quite possibly win you the match. Definitely performs great as a mid to late match creature.

1 Like

Sad to say she’s been kind of gutted by both the attack nerf and the DR nerf. She’s not the beast she once was. Situational now, even in legendary tournaments. I certainly won’t be using her in the next legendary/unique tournament.

2 Likes

In spite of the nerfs, especially that drastic Definite Rampage nerf, it’s definitely still one of the best Legendaries. I wouldn’t be too surprised if it dropped to High Apex, but it’s still worth throwing on the team in Legendary Skill tournaments.

1 Like

This thing along with moth was the bane of my team last legendary skill tournament ( I didn’t play the advantage past the takedowns)

Also, @Colin_Goodman, why the jw: tg pic?

1 Like

At the time I couldn’t find a decent JWA picture of her.

Oof
(10 characters)

If an legendary nonsuperhybrid has 3 reliable legendary counters (according to Gamepress dinodex) then no, it’s not balanced. Removing DoT immunity and a slight attack nerf would probably solve the problem

1 Like

I think it needs a rework. I’d change Definite Rampage to an Armour-piercing version (cooldown of only 1 turn), lower it’s stats, remove the DoT Immunity, and… that’s about it.

1 Like

DR is fine imo. It’s still a rhino, it should have such move. The rest, I agree

1 Like

Where in the world did you pull that out from? GP lists the top 3. Mammotherium has way more legendary counters.

Tryo, Moth, Monostego, IndoG2, Alloraptor, Smiloceph, and phoru swaps wreck it. That’s not to mention it being slow and susceptible to revenge kills, and having way more counters when factoring in uniques and epics.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with it having Definite Rampage imo, but there’s two reasons I’d change it anyway:

1. Differentiates it from Mammolania
  2. It’s an indirect buff to Shield-reliant creatures, that are absolute trash right now
1 Like

Tryostronix has a 50% chance of beating it. Not reliable. Besides, the opponent can just swap to Indo G2 to take Tryo out when it goes for RTC.

Monostegotops matchups can go a million different ways and rely heavily on RNG.

Alloraptor doesn’t counter Mammotherium. That’s just wrong.

Smilocephalosaurus doesn’t beat it 1v1, and it needs RNG and another creature to stand a chance otherwise.
Same with Phorusaura.

Indo G2 has a 75% chance of beating it, but if the Mammotherium player has Monostegotops on their team, it’s bye-bye Indo G2.

It’s not wrong. Allorap does beat therium. prediction based, but she can win a good portion of the time.

1 Like

Wow. That’s news to me. How does the matchup go?

We don’t fight exclusively in a 1v1 environment. There are tons of variables that make mammotherium worse and countered by the above. Being slow and guaranteed to be hit by damage from anything it takes out, easily being swapped into, shield mindgames, and teamplay. Only looking it at from a 1v1 perspective is dishonest, and you admit so by citing the existence of Monostego being to the detriment of the mammotherium vs indog2 matchup.

Ferocious strike + DSR kills mammotherium unless it digs in sacrificing its high damage rampage turn. By all means it is reliable. Been there, done that.

Monostego vs mammotherium is typically a victory for mono. Again, been there done that several times in tournaments.

Smiloceph and phor can both swap in, do heavy damage, run swap back in and take it out. Get in get out playstyle and with smilo’s distract and phor’s high damage, mammo just can’t keep up. Call it a soft counter.

Alloraptor wins, as @Qiew mentioned in the comment above.

I also neglected to mention other soft counters determined by circumstances I mentioned above, in which case we can include diplovenator, carnotarkus and maybe utasinoraptor.

2 Likes