Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #186 - Titanoboa Gen 2

titan 1

When initially described in‭ ‬2009,‭ ‬Titanoboa was estimated to have been about‭ ‬12.8‭ ‬meters long.‭ ‬This meant that in at least terms of length,‭ ‬Titanoboa was larger than the previous record holder for largest ever snake,‭ ‬Gigantophis,‭ ‬by a comfortable margin.‭ ‬Later modelling suggested a total length of about‭ ‬14.6‭ ‬meters,‭ ‬a figure that has since been commonly rounded off to‭ ‬15‭ ‬meters by others.

Reptiles are commonly thought to grow in accordance with the available ambient temperature of a climate.‭ ‬This is because higher temperatures that remain fairly constant throughout the year with very little seasonal variation allow ectothermic‭ (‬cold blooded‭) ‬animals to maintain an optimum metabolism for longer.‭ ‬This means that bodily functions such as digestion,‭ ‬circulation and respiration among others all‭ ‬become far more efficient,‭ ‬and a greater amount of energy can be set aside for other areas such as growth.

In reference to the larger size of Titanoboa,‭ ‬this could indicate that sixty million years ago global temperatures,‭ ‬specifically ‬at the equator but quite possibly further away,‭ ‬were considerably higher than those we know today.‭ ‬This is because today the largest known snakes which live close to the equator can commonly attain sizes of five to six meters in length,‭ ‬with rarer individuals approaching six and a half to seven meters long.

Titanoboa fossils are so far only known from the Cerrejón Formation of Colombia in South America.‭ ‬The Cerrejón Formation represents what is at the time of writing the earliest known occurrence of Neotropical rainforests‭ (‬rainforests of Central and South America‭)‬.‭ ‬The area of the Cerrejón Formation that the Titanoboa holotype fossils are known from has been established as going back to the Selandian of the Paleocene.‭ ‬This means that Titanoboa are known to have lived about sixty million years ago‭ (‬give or a take a million years‭)‬,‭ ‬and approximately five million years after the KT extinction which marks the end of the Mesozoic and the disappearance of the dinosaurs.‭ ‬During this time,‭ ‬Titanoboa would have lived and hunted in low lying rainforests that contained an extensive system of rivers that criss-crossed over the landscape.

Titanoboa would have been at their most dangerous when in the water.‭ ‬When in the water,‭ ‬body weight means very little since the buoyancy of the water would counteract the effects of gravity upon the body‭ (‬this is exactly why marine animals like whales grow so big‭)‬.‭ ‬This would mean that even a large Titanoboa would have been very quick when moving through the water as well as expending comparatively little energy to do so than what it would have had to do if on land.‭ ‬Another advantage of hunting in the water is that the sheer bulk of the body of Titanoboa would have been hidden by the water.‭ ‬When striking animals that were on or near the surface,‭ ‬the surface sheen of the water would have hidden any approach from a Titanoboa submerged under the surface,‭ ‬while the Titanoboa would have been able to lock on to the silhouette of its targeted prey.‭ ‬In addition Titanoboa would have been capable of lurking upon the bottom of water system and holding its breath for a considerable time,‭ ‬waiting for other animals swimming through the water which it could then strike at from below.

titanoboa-size

And to please @Slogokok34 I make a small change to Gen 2 by including a size reference chart. :smile:

maxresdefault

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: TBA.
Health: 4200.
Damage: 1200.
Speed: 110.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 20%

Shielded Decelerating Strike.
Precise Rampage.
Precise Impact.
Immune to Distraction.
On Escape Dust Cloud.

4 Likes

Looks like it gets tazed before it dies

1 Like

Still need to try this one out. Looks like it could be a good ally in tournaments.

1 Like

Titanoboa Gen 2 seems to me at first glance (trying to level mine in the sanctuary so not had chance to try it out yet) to be a better option than her gen 1 sister. While the stats are slightly lower, I think the abilities are more stable and useful. I’d rather she had One Escape Rampage rather than Dust Cloud though.

I wasn’t complaining about repeating information, I was just guessing

1 Like

I know. Don’t worry. :grinning::+1:

Eh, she’s okay. Sucks against stunners tho.

BUT THOSE EATING HABITS THO!

I mean seriously, those animations are flipping awesome! And the play animation. She made me chuckle, with her little boop snoot touching the pipe :snake:

2 Likes

Seeing those snakes in longitudinal section in the diagrams makes me appreciate how weird they’re shaped. They look really fat in the middle, which I guess would look natural in real life, especially since they don’t usually lie stretched out like that, but still…

Regarding Boa G2 in the arena, I’ve tried it out in Campaign and I love it. Especially when the AI starts swapping, you can get some really big numbers.
I’ve already stated this on previous threads, but my level 10 Titanoboa Gen2 managed to land a 3149 Precise Rampage on one of those swapping AIs :joy:.
Waay overkill.

1 Like

The middle section of snakes house organs and a wider ribcage to house them, probably why they are thick in the middle.

That or they just ate someone lol

1 Like

Also, is no one hyped for a snake Sidestep animation?
How would that even work? Would it sway from side-to-side? We need answers.

3 Likes

Side-STEP, on an animal with no legs…

…Kiff, we have a conundrum!

Kiff: Sigh!!!

i got the rare snake. i need to do a friendly. for science.

1 Like

It’s amazing when you predict an opponent swap and swap in the boa g2 for dust clouding

2 Likes

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: Alpha High.
Health: 4200.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 110.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 20%

Shielded Decelerating Strike.
Precise Rampage.
Precise Impact.
Immune to Distraction.
On Escape Dust Cloud.

Titanoboa Gen 2 has seen a small drop in damage but otherwise remains unchanged. When she first appeared in the game I said that I found her better than her Epic rarity sister and I still find that to be the case. Stats are almost the same and I think her abilities are just a little bit better than her sisters. Just as with her sister though she suffers at the hands of stun based opponents. I don’t think she’ll find much use in the Arena but she seems decent enough for tournaments.

What are your thoughts on this giant snake in the current game? :snake:

1 Like

The hybrid works really well and is actually a good turtle killer and Procerat hates him

1 Like

Sadly, it’s quite possible it will be a dna dark for a while

1 Like