Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #191 : Archaeotherium

EYYC02-shHLAfqTchMjSoePnBuDTKmzfw7OeYQ46-hAJ_Ib_gN5u1pIi2Y1uen2XdE6qXfXc31G5K7HUb2tIDcX-b1gyxkkPmTkNiKhLgXhEuhDVO2eGsNlF1s3pxhx_6jwY2dQ_

First named in‭ ‬1850,‭ ‬Archaeotherium remains one of the best represented entelodonts in the fossil record.‭ ‬Archaeotherium is one of the earlier entelodonts and lived in North America at a time when the landscape‭ ‬was‭ ‬occupied by primitive horses,‭ ‬camels and rhinos and the only real predatory competition it faced were creodonts like Hyaenodon.

As with other entelodonts,‭ ‬Archaeotherium had enlarged neural spines on its forward dorsal vertebrae that allowed support for more powerful neck muscles,‭ ‬which in turn supported the oversized skull.‭ ‬This made Archaeotherium tallest and bulkiest at its fore quarters where its centre of balance would have been.‭ ‬This also would have made Archaeotherium surprisingly nimble on its feet as it would be able to pivot around on the spot rather than having to step forwards or back out to move.

As with other entelodonts,‭ ‬the skull of Archaeotherium was long with wide cheek bones.‭ ‬The jaws could open incredibly wide which suggests that Archaeotherium may have frequently closed them around other animals,‭ ‬perhaps even other members of its species in things like dominance contests.‭ ‬The large canines at the front of the mouth would have been potent weapons that could have quite easily punctured a cranium.‭ ‬It is also likely that the forward canine teeth were used as tools for tearing off and picking up pieces of food that were then tossed to the back teeth with a flick of the head.‭ ‬Here the sharper premolars could cut and crush food into smaller pieces that allowed for more efficient digestion.

Reconstructions and studies of the brain have indicated that while Archaeotherium did not have a high level of reasoning‭ (‬meaning it would have followed set patterns of behaviour regardless of the situation‭)‬,‭ ‬it did have a strongly developed olfactory area.‭ ‬Combined with long nasal passages from the longer skull,‭ ‬this would have allowed Archaeotherium to conduct much more detailed sampling of the air to detect scents of things that were both far off and perhaps obscured from view.‭ ‬This is similar to modern pigs which are considered to have some of the most sophisticated olfactory abilities in the animal kingdom.

While smell was the primary sense that Archaeotherium relied upon,‭ ‬it would have also had good eye sight.‭ ‬Forward facing eyes would have granted Archaeotherium stereoscopic vision that would have allowed it to gauge distances between itself and where it wanted to be.‭ ‬This would have been of vital importance when Archaeotherium had to deal with another animal,‭ ‬as it would allow it judge when and how far to move to time its strikes.

Archaeotherium has done a lot to increase our understanding of the entelodonts,‭ ‬but here it is not its bones but its foot prints that have revealed clues.‭ ‬At the Toadstool Geologic Park in Nebraska‭ ‬there are‭ ‬several sets of fossil footprints from many different animals.‭ ‬One set is of an ancient rhinoceros that shows that the living animal suddenly went from casually walking to running at what appears to tie in with the onset of the detection of an incoming predator.‭ ‬Another set of tracks that run parallel to the rhinoceros tracks suggests that a creodont like Hyaenodon was stalking the rhino.‭ ‬A third set of tracks from an‭ ‬entelodont are also present,‭ ‬but these have a different approach in that they maintain a zigzag pattern across the ground in the direction of the rhinoceros prints.‭ ‬Obviously the shortest and fastest route between two locations is the most direct,‭ ‬and zigzagging towards something is the antithesis to this principal.‭

However no one ever said that the entelodonts was the one chasing this rhino.‭ ‬The zigzag pattern of footprints strongly suggests that the entelodonts was not chasing anything,‭ ‬but was simply going through the motions of a search pattern.‭ ‬By constantly changing direction the‭ ‬entelodont would pick up scents on the wind for everything from the animals,‭ ‬to fresh droppings,‭ ‬to even the smell of blood from a fresh kill.‭ ‬As such the‭ ‬entelodont was probably waiting for another predator to expend its energy upon making a kill and then zeroing in on the source of the smell of blood so that it could then use its large body and immensely powerful jaws to intimidate the other predator into giving up its kill.‭ ‬We cannot of course be certain if Archaeotherium was the exact‭ ‬genus of entelodont that left the footprints,‭ ‬but the location and age of the‭ ‬trackway does fit in within the range of Archaeotherium.

At up to two metres long and over a meter tall at the shoulder Archaeotherium would have been a powerful animal,‭ ‬certainly capable of incapacitating a human had the two lived in the same time period.‭ ‬Despite this however,‭ ‬Archaeotherium‭ ‬was tiny when compared to genera like Entelodon and Daeodon.

archaeotherium-size

Rarity: Common.
Tier: TBA.
Health: 4110.
Damage: 1600.
Speed: 121.
Defence: 10%
Critical chance: 20%

DNA can be used to create Keratoporcus.

Definite Strike.
Mutual Fury.
Immune to Stuns.

One of our new cenozoic animals, Archaeotherium at first glance looks okay for a starter level but to my mind she doesn’t have enough to be a mainstay. She has a good damage dealing definite strike which can be used turn after turn. I think she will be a nice choice for low level and new players but will end up benched fairly quickly. With Keratoporcus being such a nice looking hybrid, I think Archaeotherium will end up being a DNA farm.

What are your thoughts on this new cenozoic mammal?

6 Likes

I think it is really good common. Mutual fury + definite strike is gonna deal some serious damage. You should try it in friendly battles.

2 Likes

I think the whale like pig will probably fit perfectly on the Alpha tier along with the 3 common creatures

1 Like

Actually, in my opinion, archeotherium kind of stinks. It always kills velociraptor and other raptors, but it struggles against a lot of creatures. This thing is nowhere near close to something like miragia. Even against faster creatures like tany and deinochirus, this thing just doesn’t fit the bill

3 Likes

Imagine the bacon that would result from this.

3 Likes

Your description brought back memories from Prehistoric Predators. I remember watching that a while ago.
I wonder if the Entelodonts will be countered by Amphicyonids in-game at some point.

2 Likes

it’s a very cool pig

1 Like

Maybe I’m selling this one a little short then?

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4110.
Damage: 1600.

Definite Strike.
Mutual Fury.
Immune to Stuns.

Archaeotherium has not changed since her first appearance. My opinion of her remains the same. She is a nice entry level creature and probably good for the right tournament events but she won’t see much use in the Arena. She’ll remain benched and farmed for her DNA instead.

What are your thoughts on this cenozoic creature in the current game?

So I’m only going to consider common Tournaments.

It beats:
Velociraptor
Deinocheirus
Tanycolagreus
Gallimimus
Nundasuchus
Dimetrodon
Styg II
Inostrancevia <= Also this one

Beats Stegosaurus (DS, DS, MF, DS)

Loses to:
Tarbo/Allo (not surprising really - 1300/1420 HP).
Euoplo (Rampage SV Rampage - 760 HP left)
Triceratops (Rampage DS Rampage 760 HP left)
Ophiacodon (1090 HP left)
Miragaia (500 HP with no Regen left)

That is actually a fairly solid set of matchups. Pretty much either wins or leaves crippled the majority of dinos one sees in such tournaments.

It basically will do well in a number of circumstances:

• Revenge kill vs anything below 1600
  • Post loss vs Speedsters & Stego
  • Setup revenge kill vs most of the dinos in the field.

This is a definite contender for a common team.

3 Likes

If only Ludia would mix up tourneys. Like more varieties of restrictions or requirements, such as Ceratopsians only, Commons only, etc.

2 Likes

There have been “Commons Only” tournaments before. But not after Archeotherium came into the scene.

Not sure about the specific classes tho - there aren’t that many dinos of a particular class for there to be a variety of teams. Like for Ceratopsians, you have about 7 dinos that range between Commons and Rares. After that, it’s Monostegotops. So the entire roster would consist of literally the same 8 dinos, with no switchouts, and constant speed tie problems. Also, no variety.

The only other category would be theropods, or maybe hadrosaurs. But the point would be that it wouldn’t be a very good idea.

1 Like

At first I thought arch was bad and I always thought there would never be a common pig type, but all you have to do is give it a strong base move, MF, and a high damage stat, it’s a decent creature tbh but it’s not very op, fine as it is. Impressive Ludia.

2 Likes

Artist: WillemSvdMerwe

Tier: Survivour.
Health: 3000.
Damage: 1000.

Group Defence Shattering Strike.
Mutual Fury.

Resistant to stun (100%).

Archaeotherium has taken a hit in the stats department with a drop in both health and damage. I guess this is meant to bring her more in line with other Common rarity creatures but it does nothing to make this creature a viable option outside of starter players. Archaotherium most likely remains a DNA farm for her hybrid over something worth considering in the Arena.

Archaotherium is also not going to be a viable Raid option unless lower level bosses start to make an appearance. Even then, players will go with better options.

What are your thoughts on the changes to Archaeotherium under 2.0 and how will she be best played now?

She got gutted completely, @Colin_Goodman

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t disagree. Archaeotherium could have been a lot better.

1 Like

Yeah, there was no point in the nerf

2 Likes