Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #2 - Alanqa

Alankylosaurus

Alanqa is a medium-sized pterosaur, and one of just two known from good remains in North Africa. The only remains found are five fragments, including parts of the mandible and a neck vertebra.

They had been described in 1999 by both Buffetaut and well-known pterosaur researcher Peter Wellnhofer but not named until 2010 by Nizar Ibrahim and colleagues. In total, there are two known specimens. The smaller individual points to a wingspan of 4 meters while the larger one may indicate a 6-meter span.

Thanks to what is known from its relatives, it is somewhat easy to reconstruct Alanqa. It can be painted as a generic, medium-sized azhdarchid, one with the same massive head, long neck and tiny torso like its family members. It was, however, somewhat stranger than its cousins. Paleontologists Nizar Ibrahim and David Martill have noted that its beak was armed with bony protuberances, or large knobs.

This would have made it a more specialized animal than other azhdarchids. Alanqa was possibly crushing the shells of marine and freshwater mollusks on a regular basis. It is also among a few pterosaurs to be known from juvenile remains. These fossils suggest that younger Alanqa had a much shorter beak and a different diet to the adults Its remains were found in a network of swamps and coastal channels, an area known as the Kem Kem Beds.

It dates back to the start of the Late Cretaceous, the Cenomanian Stage, roughly 95 million years ago. This fossil site in Morocco preserves a very diverse fauna, including massive coelacanths and lungfish, crocodiles and the famous theropod dinosaurs Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus.

Rarity: Epic.
Metahub Tier: Omega.
Health: 4200.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 120.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Long Invincibility.
Rampage.
Superiority Strike.
Swap-in Invincibility.

DNA used for: Alankylosaurus.

So, thoughts on this pterosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

Thanks to @Dalek62771 for pointing me in the direction of some information on this pterosaur.

3 Likes

I’ve actually run across a few people who use Alanqa in the Arena. It’s definitely a fight, especially if the ptero is levelled high enough. That shield ability and SIA invincibility make it pretty formidable. Bring your best shield breakers to knock this one down.

As to its hybrid, which @Colin_Goodman mentioned in the thread before this one, it seems less powerful overall. In my opinion, it’s the hybrid I refer to as “Toothless”, based on its resemblance to the dragon in that kids’ movie, and the fact that it doesn’t have as much power as a stock Alanqa.

1 Like

I’ve faced it a couple of times in the Arena and once or twice in strike towers. It seems like a reasonable pterosaur although I’m not a big fan of them - I’d much prefer the non-pterosaur animals. What I don’t like especially is the Swap-in Invincibility. It seems too good to me but I guess it is there as a counter to hard hitters - my Indominus especially doesn’t like it.

I’m looking at possibly seeing Alanqa getting replaced by Dimodactylus, due to its bleeding abilities, including the blunt force trauma of its SIA.

With the current bleeder meta, we’re likely to be seeing that happen.

Alanqa seems to fit in her own particular niche, and using her in battle is getting to be something of a difficulty, as this new meta takes over. I’m not saying that she’s useless - I’m saying that she’s overspecialized. She can survive a while, provided you can keep those shields up, but if she gets hit with a bleed, it’s game over.

That is the problem I have with pterosaurs in general. They seem very specialized and frequently rather than being a challenge they just become an annoying bump on the way to victory.

Every creature in the game has its own role to play on a team. Rexes are the frontline heavy hitters, Stegs, sauropods, and Ankys are heavy armor, but then you get into your specialties like fast attack or immunity/nullifying. There have been evasion/harassment dinos even before 1.5, but back in 1.4, they gave us true specialty harassers in the pterosaurs. They don’t have much in the way of firepower, but they can swap in, do some damage, and swap out - sometimes even before an opponent knows what’s going on.

That’s the whole thing about them. They weren’t meant to take on the role of heavy hitters. They’re for one purpose only - to make things more annoying for your opponent, and that could possibly cause him/her to lose their cool and make a tactical error. That’s what a harasser does.

3 Likes

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Metahub Tier: Alpha Low.
Health: 4260.
Damage: 1140.
Speed: 124

Superiority Strike.
Long Invincibility.
Rampage.
Swap-in Invincibility.

So, Alanqa hasn’t really changed other to get a small stat boost. I still don’t see any of these in the Arena and once you get Alankylosaurus into your collection there is little need to include Alanqa. Does anyone out there still use her on their teams or is she another animal consigned to the benches?

Definitely one of the dinosaurs that annoys me when I do not have a shieldbreaker.

2 Likes

I have but one thing to say about this dino:

Leave. Me. Alone.

I’d actually like to receive some Pteranodon DNA once in a while from 8 hour incubators…

1 Like

I do agree that there is too much handed out in incubators. Even I am sick of it. It needs a change especially as both Alanqa and Alankylosaurus aren’t much used anymore.

2 Likes

The incubator rewards need to have more variety. I am getting tired of seeing Alanqa being the epic of epic incubators. Overall they need to be revamped.

1 Like

Alanqa by Davide Bonadonna
Artist - Davide Bonadonna

Metahub Tier: Alpha High.
Health: 4200.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 125.

Resilient Strike.
Long Invincibility.
Rampage.
Swap in Invincibility.

Much like her hybrid, Alankylosaurus, Alanqa remains largely unchanged under JWA’s 2.0 edition. Her default attack mode has been replaced by Resilient Strike which allows her to get around dodge effects but otherwise her abilities remain the same.

Again, like Alankylosaurus, the original role for Alanqa was as a counter for creatures such as Indominus Rex. You would use her until you created that hybrid. As I mentioned in DotD #1, I don’t think either of these two pterosaurs have much use anymore as there appears to be a lot of anti-shield and nullification abilities spread throughout the game now and you can’t quite plan anymore for what you might find in the Meta - although that will change over time.

Alanqa is not a creature likely to see use in Raids. There are no sharing abilities and she is likely to get chomped by the big bosses. Maybe one day if we see a pterosaur only raid - there’s an interesting idea - but until then she’ll be benched.

I think the problem is that under 2.0 there is nothing currently that really differentiates Alanqa from Alankylosaurus. With the exception of the hybrid’s armour they are just too similar and need something that makes them more viable.

What are your thoughts on the changes to Alanqa under 2.0 and how she will be best played now?

2 Likes

Back in 1.4 I used her to counter Indom and raptors. Good old times

1 Like