Dinosaur of the Day #201 - Grylenken

Rarity: Legendary.
Tier: TBA.
Health: 3000.
Damage: 1100.
Speed: 126.
Defence: 10%
Critical chance: 5%

Made from DNA of Gryposucghus and Kelenken.

Distraction.
Immobilise.
Raking Claws.
Evasive Stance.
No Escape.
Immune to Deceleration.
Simple Rending Counter Attack.

The last of the new 1.14 hybrids is here and… it’s decidedly ugly. A beaked face only a mother could love. Eek! :fearful:

Her stats aren’t bad for what she is and she seems nicely balanced there. Abilities wise she is definite mix of her crocodile and flightless bird parents. She is going to be annoying to play against. At least she can still be stunned and distracted. I think she has potential but as Grypsuchus is usually tough to find it may be a while before she starts to appear in the Arena.

What are your thoughts on this new hybrid in the current game?

1 Like

Actually she has No escape instead of immune to swap prevention. There was a mistake when the update came out.

I think she has a specific niche, but i haven’t been able to figure it out yet. IMO, i think immobilize should be replaced with something else. probably a ferocious move. I tried her out in a tournament and dropped her pretty early because she wasn’t quite working out.
As for her model, It’s ugly, but in a good way. It’s what i would imagine when you combine a crocodile and an ostrich (cassowary/ emu). It’s done well.

2 Likes

Thanks. Fixed. I don’t have her yet so went by the Field Guide.

I agree. I don’t find Crocodiles have a real niche thing other than to be annoying and Grylenken feels the same. Immobilise probably isn’t needed and a decent attack mode (not a definite or other anti-dodge) would work better.

I too used her in the tournament and I found her great when her situational niche was appropriate and meh otherwise. Her main weakness is armor but she did win me a dozen or so matches

2 Likes

Immobilize does have one use though. It allows it to revenge-kill by going Immobilize then Raking Claws, and if it’s set up already it can use Raking Claws, then Immobilize, then Raking Claws again.
So I wouldn’t say it’s useless, but it’s not that great.

2 Likes

I’m just 10 points away from creating her (fingers crossed I get a green supply drop near me this weekend - just one Grypo is all I’ll need).

I like the design of her, but I feel she needs a little bit more to her. I think she’s one of these “I don’t want to ever see a boosted one” kind of dinos, but without them, she’s not too great.

2 Likes

I played her the entire Tournament. She is something of a scavenger when it comes to battles - in the sense that she is best used for picking off slower and half dead enemies. She’s too slow to be a starter, and is more of a dino that you put out near the end, when the enemy might not expect a counter striker. Or perhaps when the enemy isn’t a Distracting or stunning enemy, then Grylenken had a better chance. She sucks against creatures like Paramoloch, Utahsinoraptor and other raptors, and some of the high attack dinos.

Most of the time, her survival is reliant on whether she is able to set up her Evasive, but that’s difficult sometimes.

I can agree that her niche is hard to decipher. But she’s best used in the lower arenas, that’s for sure.

1 Like

I’d trade evasive stance for sidestep, immobilize for ferocious strike and perhaps distraction for dss. Needs a bit more hp too. I like the counter, immune to decel and no escape, those are it’s good points. As for design, i think It looks great.

2 Likes

2 Likes

The Distraction helps her survive, so I’m okay with that. Evasive kinda sucks since it doesn’t raise speed like Sidestep, but it does help to know that you don’t have to consciously keep up the evasive. But yes, the speed boost is useful. But when every other dino has some sort of speed boost like Indo G2, or a stunning move like Paramoloch, being faster don’t mean a thing if you can’t move.

… But I can see what you mean with that Sidestep. It would be helpful at times.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m kinda undecided on the strike, It could be either distraction or DSS. Distraction is good for survival but since I’d be using sidestep for that perhaps It could do with DSS. As for the evasive move, sidestep makes way more sense and is more useful imo. It’s great to stall as a counter attacker and to get raking claws ready, not to mention with 100% dodge and immunity to decel. Evasive stance seems objectively worse for this dino imo, and when kelenken has sidestep i see no reason to give It ES other than to nerf It.
I dont think speed up is really a common ability in this game, just a few creatures have It. I see what you mean with speed up and stun, but stun is not that prevalent and as a counter attacker It makes sense that grylenken would be countered by stuns, so i don’t see an advantage on having evasive stance over sidestep.

1 Like

Rarity: Legendary.
Tier: Apex Low.
Health: 3600.
Damage: 1500.
Speed: 126.
Defence: 10%
Critical chance: 10%

Cunning Strike.
Raking Claws.
Rampage and Run.
Evasive Stance.
No Escape.

Resistant to damage over time (100%), distraction (50%), speed decrease (50%) and swap prevention (67%).

Grylenken, that ugly croc bird, has seen a health increase and a nice big increase in damage. Her crit chance has also improved just slightly. Her abilities have seen a major overhaul and she’s not quite the same creature that she was before the 2.0 update. I don’t know if the ability changes have changed for the better or not. I think an argument could be made either way. I’ll let you guys decide.

Grylenken could be Raid material. She certainly has the damage for it but she’ll have a hard time against anything with too many defensive abilities.

What are your thoughts on Grylenken after 2.0 and how would you use her now?

Phorus Lite

1 Like

Could use a swap in. Tanks unsurprisingly win, but it’s good against swappers like monostego who wanna swap out, and with a revenge kill is really good

1 Like

Crocatoo is definitely an interesting creature. I have used it a couple of times in tournaments. Definitely needs an HP and attack buff or otherwise it is a glass cannon.

1 Like

I think it needs better turn-1 damage, so it can be a Lockdown revenge-killer. Ferocious Strike or something like that would probably make it relevant.
Especially if you increase that Decel resistance.

2 Likes