Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #217 - Glyptodon

Artist: Roman Garcia Mora

Along with Doedicurus,‭ ‬Glyptodon is one of the better known members of the Glyptodontidae,‭ ‬and as you may have already guessed,‭ ‬is the type genus of this group since this was the first genus to be named.‭ ‬Unlike Doedicurus however,‭ ‬Glyptodon did not possess a spiked club on the end of its tail.‭ ‬Instead Glyptodon had a stubby tail with a rounded end,‭ ‬although as an exposed extremity,‭ ‬it was likely covered with scutes of its own for defence.‭ ‬The presence of Glyptodon in North America as well as South America is proof that this genus took part in the Great American Interchange.

Glyptodon acquired its name‭ (‬which means carved tooth‭) ‬from the form of the molar teeth at the back of the mouth,‭ ‬which were also the only teeth present.‭ ‬Glyptodon instead relied upon shearing and pulling plants with the front of its mouth before moving the mouthful back to the rear teeth for processing.‭ ‬Like its relatives,‭ ‬Glyptodon also had a covering of bony armoured scutes that combined to form a protective shell around the body which would have provided quite substantial protection from the teeth of predators that may not have even been able to close their jaws around the shell properly due to the shells immense size.

Glyptodon seems to have gone extinct around eleven thousand years ago,‭ ‬which coincidentally is not long after the very first humans arrived in South America.‭ ‬While the armour of Glyptodon would have provided a powerful blanket defence against most predators,‭ ‬human hunters could use their intelligence to identify weak and vulnerable areas of the body and then use specially crafted tools to strike at them.‭ ‬This hunting is considered to be the most likely cause of the extinction of Glyptodon,‭ ‬though the human hunters of old were anything but wasteful.‭ ‬Aside from eating the meat of the body,‭ ‬the armoured shells of Glyptodon also seem to have been used as shelters by early human settlers.

Rarity: Common.
Tier: TBA.
Health: 3900.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 103.
Armour: 40%
Critical: 5%

Superior Vulnerability.
Resilient Rampage.

Resistant to speed decrease (100%) and vulnerable (100%).

Glyptodon has good health and armour, but the rest of her stats seem rather lackluster. You can tell she’s a Common rarity such low damage. Could be better. It feels like, with her two abilities, that she is a varient on the Ankylosaur model with vulnerability and a decent rampage. Don’t know why she needs an immunity to speed decrease though, when her speed is so low anyway, All in all, Glyptodon seems like a fair starter level creature but like most Commons, she’ll get replaced with better fairly quickly.

Glyptodon is not a Raid creature and I’m not sure that she would do well in tournaments either.

What are your thoughts on Glyptodon and how would you use her?

1 Like

That’s a lot of Gryptodon near my home

I have yet to see any of the new creatures in the wild. I have Glyptodon thanks to someone in my Alliance.

2 Likes

It’s going to be a beast in tourneys, but not sure about anything else

2 Likes

Probably the best common if I say so. 4000 damage on a common is very random, but very useful. I guess its just a better eupo?

1 Like

4000 damage?

1 Like

Vulnerable + Rampage

2 Likes

Vulnerable makes an attack do 50% more, not 100%

1000 from the sup. vul. and then 3000 from the rampage plus vulnerability

2 Likes

Rarity: Common.
Tier: Alpha - Low.
Health: 3900.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 103.
Armour: 40%
Critical: 5%

Superior Vulnerability.
Resilient Rampage.

Resistant to speed decrease (100%) and vulnerable (100%).

Glyptodon has not changed since I last updated her entry. In that first post I underestimated Glyptodon big time. She is a lot better than I was giving her credit for. She is good for a Common rarity but she’ll suffer against any decently fast chomper. You’ll start with Glyptodon and then upgrade to Dodicurus, who improves upon what Glyptodon brings to the Arena. Glyptodon works nicely in the Common tournaments in the end too.

What are your thoughts on Glyptodon after the recent update?

2 Likes

The Armadillos can deal some damage, why can’t Ankylosaurus?

1 Like

Because Lydia hates them :((

1 Like

I feel like dinosaurs are not who they’re supposed to be in the game :_(

Thing is that really they are just numbers and abilities with a name tagged on. We give them meaning.

1 Like

The dinosaur that proved that she’s really dangerous in the game is Diplodocus. Wish Triceratops got a buff, along with Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, and Apatosaurus.

1 Like