Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #218 - Troodon

Artist Unknown

Remarkably when Troodon was first‭ ‘‬discovered‭’ ‬it was only known from a tooth,‭ ‬and it was the description of this tooth that gave rise to the genus.‭ ‬Although naming a creature after only discovering its teeth is hard to imagine today,‭ ‬it was a common place practice in the nineteenth century,‭ ‬and at least in the case of Troodon the teeth were different to most others.‭ ‬Two problems arose from describing Troodon from only teeth.‭ ‬One,‭ ‬while these teeth were curved like in a carnivore,‭ ‬they had curved serrations similar to some herbivores.‭ ‬Two,‭ ‬because no one knew of any skeletal remains,‭ ‬no one knew what kind of dinosaur it actually was,‭ ‬or even if it really was a dinosaur for that matter.‭

When named by Joseph Leidy in‭ ‬1856,‭ ‬Troodon was classed as a lizard.‭ ‬When classed as a dinosaur in‭ ‬1901,‭ ‬Troodon was assigned to the megalosauridae,‭ ‬a wastebasket group at the time that was used as a dumping ground for any carnivorous dinosaur whose kind and position among others was not known.‭ ‬In‭ ‬1924‭ ‬Troodon‭ ‘‬became‭’ ‬a pachycephalosaur,‭ ‬a herbivorous kind of dinosaur known for having dome headed skulls,‭ ‬with the grouping made on the basis of similarities between their teeth,‭ ‬notably the serrations.‭ ‬It should also be mentioned that as Troodon was grouped with them,‭ ‬all pachycephalosaurs known at the time were classed under Troodontidae,‭ ‬until‭ ‬1945‭ ‬when Troodon was removed from the group on the basis that its teeth were for a carnivorous purpose.‭ ‬Because the group could not be called after a dinosaur that was no longer a part of it,‭ ‬they were re-named the pachycephalosuars after Pachycephalosaurus.

Skipping back to‭ ‬1932,‭ ‬and another genus of dinosaur,‭ ‬Stenonychosaurus,‭ ‬was formally described to science.‭ ‬This‭ ‬was a small predator,‭ ‬later realised to have had teeth similar to Troodon.‭ ‬But for over fifty years Stenonychosaurus and Troodon were kept separate,‭ ‬until‭ ‬1987,‭ ‬when palaeontologist Philip J.‭ ‬Currie found Stenonychosaurus to be a synonym of Troodon.‭ ‬This was done on the basis that differences in tooth and jaw form of known troodonts seemed to‭ ‬have been down to age and growth and were probably representing a single species of dinosaur.

The addition of this fossil material‭ ‬to Troodon allowed the first accurate reconstructions of the genus.‭ ‬As a small predator with a sickle shaped claw on each foot,‭ ‬Troodon was often recreated in popular science,‭ ‬as a small but fierce and deadly predator that terrorised Late Cretaceous North America.‭ ‬This depiction was common throughout the late twentieth/early twenty-first centuries.

Now it seems things were not so clear cut,‭ ‬and questions over assigning all of this fossil material to Troodon began to be asked as to whether this was the correct thing to do.‭ ‬This questioning was not just done by some other palaeontologists,‭ ‬but by Philip Currie himself.‭ ‬Throughout the‭ ‬1990s and opening years of the twenty-first century new ideas that fossils from different formations could represents at least different species of Troodon,‭ ‬perhaps even different genera of troodontid dinosaurs,‭ ‬were often discussed.

Ultimately the problem of Troodon always came down to the same issue.‭ ‬Troodon was established upon the basis of teeth,‭ ‬and like all creatures described by only teeth,‭ ‬it is almost impossible to refer fossils on bone material.‭ ‬On the principal of‭ ‬extra fossil bones later assigned to Troodon,‭ ‬there was just not a clear example to prove a connection,‭ ‬just superficial similarity.

Thirty years after Troodon and Stenonychosaurus were synonymised together,‭ ‬they were split again in‭ ‬2017.‭ ‬Fossils of bones once used to reconstruct‭ ‬Troodon now either placed back into the resurrected Stenonychosaurus genus,‭ ‬or moved into an additional new genus called Latenivenatrix.‭ ‬This conclusion is the culmination of work by many palaeontologists again including Philip Currie.‭ ‬While some palaeontologists have not‭ ‬been quick to accept the removal of bone fossils from‭ ‬Troodon,‭ ‬at the time‭ ‬of writing‭ (‬2020‭) ‬most palaeontologists are working with the resurrection of Stenonychosaurus and description of Latenivenatrix as valid.

With Troodon being dubbed a‭ ‘‬tooth taxon‭’ (‬known only from teeth‭)‬,‭ ‬Troodon itself is now once again regarded as a dubious genus of dinosaur.

Rarity: Epic.
Tier: TBA.
Health: 3000.
Damage: 1200.
Speed: 130
Armour: 0%
Critical: 5%

Cunning Strike.
High Pounce.
Rampage.

Resistant to distraction (100%).

Troodon is a new Epic rarity creature from the 2.2 update. At this first look Troodon seems fairly average in her stats but when you see the potential damage output from her abilities you see that she is better than she first appears. As a Epic creature shouldn’t she have a fourth ability though? I don’t think Troodon will be amazing in the Arena but she’ll be handy up to a point.

Troodon does not seem suitable for Raid battles but she could be top notch for tournaments.

What are your thoughts on Troodon and how would you use her?

5 Likes

She needs a damage over time move, I mean, even the in-game description of it says that it’s name means “wounding tooth”

8 Likes

Agreed. That would be a nice addition to her.

3 Likes

To work, I’d say give it 3050 health, 1350 health, 131 speed, precise rampage, 20% crit, swap in distraction, and 50% bleed resist. Out of all the raptors I feel it mostly wants to be the damager, so those changes would be nice.

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @Colin_Goodman!
I think Troodon is pretty good, beating the other cunning creatures and the fierce ones with 4800 HP and below.

I also think it could be more interesting though, with some sort of DoT move. Maybe we’ll get that in a Gen 2 some day.

3 Likes

I also think it functions similar to Alloraptor rn with the double rampage set up. This guy tho can T1 distract, which is a nice touch

2 Likes

Thank you. :grin:

I think once we see her in action her stats and abilities might work out better than they appear on paper.

2 Likes

Troodon needs (take a huge breath)
A new model
A bleed ability
A swap in distract
A venoms counter
A different animation
A better description (talking about the brain and eyes and how it’s nocturnal)
A better speed
Maybe a minor cloak ability because of how they stalk at night and if that happens make only the eye ball visible
(make one called Jerald as my name is jarod)

All these can be or, or and

2 Likes

Everyone wants troodon to be cunning fierce for some reason lol. I get why but it’s nonsensical

3 Likes

I can’t wait to add this one to my collection. :heart_eyes:

Happy cake day! :birthday:

3 Likes

My dream has been achieved, now I have to wait for Ludia to add the ability to nickname creatures

I’m happy if people want nicknames so long as I don’t have to see them.

1 Like

You see a geminititan named dimorphodon

visible confusion

2 Likes

It’s more the case that I want Tyrannosaurus appearing as such and as Rexy McRexFace. Seeing the nicknames that others use or would want to use would remove both my enjoyment and emersion in the game.

086689a68581846a2e56faf1823c767c

Rarity: Epic.
Tier: Alpha - High.
Health: 3000.
Damage: 1200.
Speed: 130
Armour: 0%
Critical: 5%

Cunning Strike.
High Pounce.
Rampage.

Resistant to distraction (100%).

Troodon has not changed since she firs appeared in the game. Troodon is not, as I previously stated, average. She is in fact very good and I’ve used her quite effectively in both the Arena and in Epic tournaments. She needs a her fourth (missing) ability and I would suggest, as have others here, that she needs a bleeding attack. That would round her out nicely.

What are your thoughts on Troodon after the recent update?

1 Like

She could have a wounding/maiming ability, you’re right. After all, her name means “wounding/maiming tooth”.

1 Like

Oh, and Wounding Tooth should be a new wounding ability, don’t ya think? That ability should go with the narrow-clawed dinosaur’s flow!

1 Like

Sad the name Troodon is now invalid…

It’s still under debate I believe but yeah, she’s mostly likely something else that we already know.

1 Like