Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #243 - Tsintaosaurus

*Artist: Sergey Krasovskiy.

One of the more popular hadrosaurids,‭ ‬Tsintaosaurus is actually not known by many individuals.‭ ‬The popularity of Tsintaosaurus is all down to the forward pointing crest that adorns the top of the skull.‭ ‬There was one widespread speculation that this crest was simply a product of the fossilisation process,‭ ‬and that the bone that made up the crest was actually from somewhere else,‭ ‬something that further led to speculation that Tsintaosaurus was actually the same genus of dinosaur as the hadrosauroid Tanius.‭ ‬A further specimen was eventually found however,‭ ‬and again the forward pointing crest was evident and in exactly the same place as the first.‭ ‬This revealed that the crest is indeed that same as it was in the living animals and that while both Tsintaosaurus and Tanius are related,‭ ‬they are very different genera. In 2013 a study resulted in a new reconstruction for the head crest for Tsintaosaurus. Instead of a simples spike, the crest actually rose up from the nasal bones and curved around above the back of the skull.

Like with other hadrosaurs,‭ ‬would have probably been primarily quadrupedal,‭ ‬though bipedal stances and locomotion were also easily possibly.‭ ‬This flexibility meant that Tsintaosaurus were also capable of feeding at varying heights,‭ ‬increasing the amount of suitable plants for feeding.‭ ‬Because the crest of Tsintaosaurus is hollow it is classed as a lambeosaurine hadrosaurid,‭ ‬the group that contains all hadrosaurids that have hollow crests‭ (‬after the type genus of the group Lambeosaurus,‭ ‬the first hollow crested hadrosaurid identified‭)‬.‭ ‬As a reasonably large animal,‭ ‬and a plant eater,‭ ‬Tsintaosaurus was likely prey for large predatory dinosaurs of the time such as tyrannosaurs like Zhuchengtyrannus.

tsintaosaurus-size

tumblr_3073bea0fd47b6b93dd386aaf5dc7e34_8673717e_540

Rarity: Epic.
Tier: TBA.
Health: 4350
Damage: 1250
Speed: 108
Armour: 0%
Critical: 5%

Group Cleansing Strike.
Group Ferocity Strike.
Group Heal.

Resistant to stun (67%), swap prevention (67%) and vulnerable (100%).

Tsintaosaurus is the last of our new 2.6 dinosaurs and this one is a regular global spawn. She’s a new member of the hadrosaur family which means she isn’t going to be a great new addition. Instead she’ll be a bit of a support option.

Starting with her stats she has good health and an average enough damage. Otherwise she’s a bit slow with no defensive quality. There’s nothing to say here, she’s a typical hadrosaur. Tsintaosaurus continues with the usual hadrosaur and iguandontid type abilities. She can cleanse and she can group heal. She does however, come with a nice ferocity strike to boost herself (and others in Raids). This stands her out a little bit from other members of her family. Unfortunately, she’s really too slow to benefit from these all that much.

Looking at her, I don’t think Tsintaosaurus is worthwhile on an Arena team or for use in tournaments. However, once appropriately boosted, she could start seeing some use in Raids in the future.

What are your thoughts on Tsintaosaurus?

7 Likes

I like where they were going with this one but Group Ferocity Strike really needs a buff. A group-buffing group healer has a lot of potential in raids, but in this case it’s probably best to wait for the hybrid.

7 Likes

In what way would you buff it?

1 Like

I think this would be perfect. The current version lasting for only 2 turns, 2 attacks leaves its users pretty bad in PvP, while the 3-turn cooldown makes it pretty bad in raids. This version would be better at both, without being objectively better or worse than the other widely used group-buffing options.

2 Likes

Great epic raider, better than Maia and Ourano. Also nice damage for a hadrosaur.

3 Likes

Better than Maiasaurua? Interesting. I find Maia to be a lot better if I’m honest. But then, I think Maia having a decent attack ability rather than being all about healing helps.

1 Like

I think Maia should be for PVP and Tsintaosaurus for raids.

1 Like

its one of the better non hybrid hadrosaurs for pvp, but its still weak. one of the worst epic hybrids for pvp.
the health is ok, i guess, but it doesnt work particularly well with 108 speed and no speed control. the damage is ok for a hadrosaur, especially since it can increase its attack, but it only has strikes.
group cleansing strike is pretty bad for pvp, really its entire kit sucks for pvp.
the resistances are alright. better than most hadrosaur non hybrids.
it will be very good for epic and maybe legendary raids, though.
on par with weaker epic non hybrids like haast eagle, kentrosaurus, and pteranodon in PVP.

1 Like

Pretty solid for raids, meh for PvP.

Also 65% stun resistance?

2 Likes

Percentage fixed. Well spotted.

1 Like

I find kentro to be decent in tournaments, but that is just me.

3 Likes

my main problem with kentro is the awful survivability, mediocre damage output, and bad speed. plus group decel strike is useless.

The only thing i don’t like about tsintaosaurus is that they gave him this mane. There is no evidence of the presence of proto feathers in hadrosaurs or their relatives. The only large herbivore dinosaurs that have evidence of feathers are therizinosaurs and deinocheirus

1 Like

No evidence yet, but there is a strong theory that all dinosaurs had feathers of some sort, and it’s not without merit :man_shrugging:t2:.

Yes but it’s unlikely that all dinosaurs had feathers. Arctic dinosaur probably had them but not tropical - savanah dinosaurs. Also we do have skin of many theropods and herbivore dinosaurs and theres no evidence of feathers on them. They also don’t have feather structures wich were found in raptors

1 Like

MegistotheriumProfile

Rarity: Epic.
Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4350
Damage: 1250
Speed: 108
Armour: 0%
Critical: 5%

Group Cleansing Strike.
Group Ferocity Strike.
Group Heal.

Resistant to stun (67%), swap prevention (67%) and vulnerable (100%).

Tsintaosaurus has not changed since I first wrote her entry. I continue to hold my opinion that Tsintaosaurus is fairly average in her stats and abilities, and she is still a basic ornithopod dinosaur. Like other hadrosaurus, Tsintaosaurus is not all that in the Arena but in tournaments she’s possibly an option although I imagine most players will find better options. I don’t think she’ll see use in Raids now though, that we have seen how she plays. So the question is, is Tsintaosaurus just a high rarity DNA farm for her hybrid, Tsintamoth?

What are your thoughts on Tsintaosaurus after the recent update?