Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #248 - Dodo

14959258_450_450_81368_0_fill_0_95417fb54e65b932017a7580bc058653

The Dodo is an extinct flightless bird that was endemic to the island of Mauritius, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. The dodo’s closest genetic relative was the also-extinct Rodrigues solitaire, the two forming the subfamily Raphinae of the family of pigeons and doves. The closest living relative of the dodo is the Nicobar pigeon. A white dodo was once thought to have existed on the nearby island of Réunion, but this is now believed to have been confusion based on the also-extinct Réunion ibis and paintings of white dodos.

Subfossil remains show the dodo was about 1 metre (3 ft 3 in) tall and may have weighed 10.6–17.5 kg (23–39 lb) in the wild. The dodo’s appearance in life is evidenced only by drawings, paintings, and written accounts from the 17th century. As these vary considerably, and only some of the illustrations are known to have been drawn from live specimens, its exact appearance in life remains unresolved, and little is known about its behaviour. Though the dodo has historically been considered fat and clumsy, it is now thought to have been well-adapted for its ecosystem. It has been depicted with brownish-grey plumage, yellow feet, a tuft of tail feathers, a grey, naked head, and a black, yellow, and green beak. It used gizzard stones to help digest its food, which is thought to have included fruits, and its main habitat is believed to have been the woods in the drier coastal areas of Mauritius. One account states its clutch consisted of a single egg. It is presumed that the dodo became flightless because of the ready availability of abundant food sources and a relative absence of predators on Mauritius.

The first recorded mention of the dodo was by Dutch sailors in 1598. In the following years, the bird was hunted by sailors and invasive species, while its habitat was being destroyed. The last widely accepted sighting of a dodo was in 1662. Its extinction was not immediately noticed, and some considered it to be a myth. In the 19th century, research was conducted on a small quantity of remains of four specimens that had been brought to Europe in the early 17th century. Among these is a dried head, the only soft tissue of the dodo that remains today. Since then, a large amount of subfossil material has been collected on Mauritius, mostly from the Mare aux Songes swamp. The extinction of the dodo within less than a century of its discovery called attention to the previously unrecognised problem of human involvement in the disappearance of entire species. The dodo achieved widespread recognition from its role in the story of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, and it has since become a fixture in popular culture, often as a symbol of extinction and obsolescence.

Rarity: Epic.
Tier: TBA.
Health: 3900
Damage: 1200
Speed: 123
Armour: 0%
Critical: 5%

Flightless Strike.
Protective Alert.
Alert Decoy.
Absorb.

Resistant to crit reduction (100%), rending (33%) and speed decrease (100%).

The beautiful and oh so cute Dodo has at last come to the game. We’ve been asking for this for ages and her she is. Now if only we can get them to appear in parks that would be great. I know I have spent a few hours since 2.7 dropped in a local park and not a single Dodo appeared even with scents going. :cry:

The Dodo has a nice set of stats. Good health and damage mainly but a little slow. Not complaints there. I want to see them in use before I make my mind up with the abilities. The Dodo seems to be quite good at first glance with a decent basic attack followed up by cleansing, damage debuff and healing. I think there are certainly opponents who will take them down easily but they could be a handy nuisance to many others. I think the Dodo will take some time playing to see how they work out in reality.

While I think the Dodo is okay for the Arena, I’m not so sure about Raids. I’ve yet to be convinced that any of the 2.7 flocking creatures will be that useful in Raids. Dodo could reduce damage but they lack any sort of team ability. Not sure. What do you think?

What are your thoughts on the Dodo?

4 Likes

The part that I don’t get is that Dodo is a cunning. The only cunning to break armor?! The Dodo is slow because it’s 100% to speed. (Which a cunning shouldn’t have) I’ll say it’s a Cunning & Fierce.

When you do Protective Alert and Alert Decoy, it does a lot of damage, but it sacrifices one Dodo… But Protective Alert can get one back! So the Dodo is really nice.

Edit: Dodo should be Wild Card, like Dodocevia. Flightless strike is a cunning and fierce move and Protective Alert is a cunning and resilient move.

2 Likes

I’m honestly fine with it, as long as its not overpowered and its limited I think its ok
only cunnings I can think are 100% immune to decel are compso, dodo, and I guess alloraptor but that’s also fierce

2 Likes

I’m also fine with 100% speed for the sloth, with any resilient move attacks it, it will remove the speed increase. But for the dodo… yeah I’m a bit fine with it.

1 Like

Oh completely forgot about the sloth, but for that thing its fine since its kinda really basic creature. and I mean I think it at least adds something useful to the cunnings, as far as I can tell they aren’t doing well with the resilient and or swap in meta and it helps I think, just as long as its not in every cunning like everything is bleed resistant or stun or lockdown resis

2 Likes

I gave them names for fun

1 Like

Oh wow. I love it. :slight_smile: