Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #28 - Dimetrodon

Alankylosaurus

Dimetrodon is an extinct synapsid which lived approximately 295 million to 272 million years ago during the Permian Period. It was first discovered during the 19th century and was named by Edward Drinker Cope in 1878.

Dimetrodon, which means “two measures tooth”, had two different kinds of teeth in its rather large skull. The first set of teeth are designed to capture and hold prey. The second set of teeth were used to shear flesh from bone. Judging from its teeth and jaw design, it’s quite obvious to paleontologists that Dimetrodon was a meat eater.

This animal’s fossils have been found all over the world. They have been found all over Europe, in Texas and Oklahoma in the U.S and in parts of Nova Scotia, Canada. It would appear that this was a very successful and widespread animal during its 20 million year span.

Although Dimetrodon pictures make this animal look like a dinosaur, it was, in fact, a synapsid – which is a type of reptile. It was about 15 feet long, weighed around 550 pounds and walked on all four legs. It had an enormous sail-fin on its back and had a long tail.

One of the most interesting facts about Dimetrodon is that paleontologists believe that the enormous fin on the back of this animal was used to regulate temperature. During the day, it is believed that it would have absorbed heat from the sun. Heat that would slowly be released at night when it got colder. However, that is not the only theory about this animal’s sail-fin. Other paleontologists have theorized that it could have been used to intimidate other animals or that it was used during mating. Of course, any or all of these 3 theories may be true.

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: Scavenger.
Health: 3990.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 113.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Critical Impact.
Defence Shattering Impact.
Defence Shattering Strike.
Immunity.

DNA can be used for: Postimentrodon and Magnapyritor.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

5 Likes
Dinosaur of the Day #69 - Magnapyritor
Dinosaur of the Day #91 - Postimetrodon

Dimetrodon has good health, reasonable damage and an average speed. It’s about right for a Rare dinosaur and fits in well with a low level to mid level team. What makes Dimetrodon so good is the immunity, the high chance of a critical hit and that it ignores shields and armour. Dimetrodon is a great damage dealer. It just lacks in speed to make it better.

Dimetrodon is a great starting dinosaur and you can use it for a good while, but it will eventually be overshadowed by bigger and better dinosaurs. The main reason for collecting Dimetrodon DNA is for the two hybrids that it helps create.

2 Likes

I remember the good ol days…
When I had started, and I was in the SS Arcadia, dime was my best dino.
Immunity and critical impact AND defense shattering was my best at the time.
I miss him so.

1 Like

Dimetrodon is probably my favorite rare, I love his colors, especially the sail color. It’s a good rare, like you stated, the Immunity + Crit Chance + Ignoring Armor and shields, it can do alot. I would honestly level him up some levels but right now all my Dimetrodon DNA is going to Postimetrodon. Also, is there more synapsids? Or is Dimetrodon the only one? I Would love to learn more about Dimetrodon really.

1 Like

Most of mine went to Postimetrodon. Such a good hybrid.

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes

Now I want that waddle running animation for it in JWA! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ophiacodon and Secondontosaurus are also synapsids, and we have them in the game :slight_smile:

Sorry for going off topic but has any one else noticed that the synapsids chuckle during battle?

1 Like

I literally revived a thread

1 Like

I’m hoping all these threads get revived when people want to discuss the relevant dinosaurs.

1 Like

The 1.7 update gave a slight boost to Dimetrodon by raising it’s health from 3990 to 4200.

1 Like