Dinosaur of the Day #294 - Rodrigues Solitaire

bK7qYiBJQ_pbnzqNOID-Ex13rnT2XDXCmLyjLHFpz5tHeMhVGGFjI2is69xy5o-5_qgjtbXoeYkojUZtSvEB1IGRk08Jnluz7tPFjStCrn_TL5IJsU_NtBPZcgKWQIv-2lnmbMFR

The Rodrigues solitaire (Pezophaps solitaria) is an extinct flightless bird that was endemic to the island of Rodrigues, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. Genetically within the family of pigeons and doves, it was most closely related to the also extinct dodo of the nearby island Mauritius, the two forming the subfamily Raphinae. The Nicobar pigeon is their closest living genetic relative.

Rodrigues solitaires grew to the size of swans, and demonstrated pronounced sexual dimorphism. Males were much larger than females and measured up to 90 centimetres (35 inches) in length and 28 kilograms (62 pounds) in weight, contrasting with 70 centimetres (28 in) and 17 kilograms (37 lb) for females. Its plumage was grey and brown; the female was paler than the male. It had a black band at the base of its slightly hooked beak, and its neck and legs were long. Both sexes were highly territorial, with large bony knobs on their wings that were used in combat. The Rodrigues solitaire laid a single egg that was incubated in turn by both sexes. Gizzard stones helped digest its food, which included fruit and seeds.

First mentioned during the 17th century, the Rodrigues solitaire was described in detail by François Leguat, the leader of a group of French Huguenot refugees who were marooned on Rodrigues in 1691–1693. It was hunted by humans and introduced animals, and was extinct by the late 18th century. Apart from Leguat’s account and drawing, and a few other contemporary descriptions, nothing was known about the bird until a few subfossil bones were found in a cave in 1786. Thousands of bones have subsequently been excavated. It is the only extinct bird with a former constellation named after it, Turdus Solitarius.

Rarity: Rare.
Tier: TBA.
Health: 2850.
Damage: 1300.
Speed: 128.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Flightless Strike.
Protective Alert.
Cunning Rampage.
Alert Roost.
Absorb.

Resistant to damage over time (50%), reduced damage (50%), rending (33%) and swap prevention (100%).

Our first new creature of 2.15 and the only prehistoric in this release. Rodrigues Solitaire is another flock based creature. For a Rare creature she looks okay with a fair stat line. Health seems a little low though. Looking at her abilities, Rodrigues Solitaire has the potential to put out a nice amount of damage which I guess balances out the lower health. At first glance I think she will do well enough lower down the Arena but Dodo is better in my opinion, and by then you are looking at the Hybrid flocks, so she won’t see much Area use most likely. However, Rodrigues Solitaire does have a hybrid in Allodrigues which me think Rodrigues Solitaire will just end up as a DNA farm for that hybrid.

What are your thoughts on Rodrigues Solitaire after the recent update?

7 Likes

This could be a great substitute for regular chicken, which was why it was hunted alongside dodo :joy: :dodo:

1 Like

I didn’t expected a second dodo like creature to be in the game. Maybe we can get a 3rd one

1 Like

Actually both Dodo and Rodrigues Solitaire are the only members of the Raphinae family so basically unless it’s a Gen 2 and/or 3 (which I don’t want) or a hybrid we most likely won’t have another

1 Like

Perhaps there’s an ancient bird that resembles them that could be used for that rig

an extinct duck or chicken would do actually

1 Like