Dinosaur of the Day #312 - Microraptor

microraptor

Microraptor is very special and is often called a‭ ‘‬four-winged‭’ ‬dromaeosaur.‭ ‬This is because not only‭ ‬did Microraptor have extensive feather coverage over its arms,‭ ‬it also has a similar extent of feather growth on its legs too.‭ ‬Although not a flyer like a true bird would be,‭ ‬Microraptor may have been able to use these feathered areas along with its small size and light build to glide across the tree canopies of the forests of Cretaceous China.‭ ‬As an arboreal dinosaur,‭ ‬Microraptor may well have lived like a bird. As a living animal,‭ ‬Microraptor is thought to have been most active at night as evidenced by the scleral rings.‭ ‬Stomach contents have also been preserved,‭ ‬revealing that smaller mammals formed at least a part of Microraptor’s diet.

How Microraptor moved through the air is quite interesting.‭ ‬Initially it was thought that the arms and legs would have been held at the same level,‭ ‬and perhaps overlaid one another.‭ ‬However in‭ ‬2005‭ ‬the palaeontologist Sankar Chattrerjee said that an overlaid posture was not anatomically possible ‬and instead proposed what has been termed the‭ '‬biplane method‭’‬.‭ ‬The biplane method is where the hind legs are held at a different height to the arms so that when viewed from the front,‭ ‬Microraptor would‭ ‬look like it had two pairs of wings. Chatterjee also constructed computer model that demonstrated Microraptor actually being capable of powered level flight,‭ ‬and if the living creature did indeed do this,‭ ‬Microraptor would have had quite a considerable range when airborne.

Other researchers have done their own studies on the flight ability of Microraptor,‭ ‬and while some of these recognise the‭ ‘‬biplane‭’ ‬method as possible,‭ ‬some consider it to have been inefficient‭ ‬and suggested that Microraptor had a different orientation when flying.‭ ‬What can also be considered is that Microraptor may not have had just one method of gliding‭ ‬and may have adapted different configurations to changing needs.

microraptor-size

Rarity: Epic.
Tier: TBA.
Health: 1650.
Damage: 1100.
Speed: 136.
Defence: 0%
Crit: 15%

Cunning Strike.
Precise Double Strike.
Distracting Triple Strike.
Wingbeat.
Absorb.

Resistant to rending (33%), swap prevention (75%) and taunt (100%).

Microraptor is a new prehistoric flock based creature. For an Epic rarity though I find her stats a little low. Speed is good but health and damage aren’t great. However, with her abilities she has the opportunity to increase her critical rating and debuff the opposition, both of which should compensate for the lower stats somewhat.

I don’t think Microraptor is that great compared to other flocks and I doubt she’ll see much use in the Arena or elsewhere. I think her role will be as a DNA farm for her hybrid Segnoraptor.

What are your thoughts on Microraptor?

It’s a pidgeon eat pidgeon world

DTS is my new favorite ability.

2 Likes