Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #33 - Diplocaulus

Alankylosaurus

Diplocaulus is an extinct early amphibian that lived 270 million years ago during the Permian period. It was first discovered in 1878 in Texas and was given its name by Edward Drinker Cope in 1877. Its name means “double caul” because it has a very distinctive head that looks like a boomerang.

If you saw Diplocaulus pictures without knowing anything about them, then you would have thought it was something someone invented. However, it was a real amphibian. Facts about Diplocaulus include the one that has been theorized that its head was so unusual because it made it harder for it to be eaten by predators. A lot of the prehistoric creatures that swam in those waters probably wouldn’t have wanted to struggle trying to swallow such an oddly shaped creature and would, therefore leave it alone, opting for easier prey.

Other scientists believe that its head may have been used as a hydrofoil. This would have made it possible for it to skim on top of a body of water. If that’s true, then the shape of its head could have also been used as a way for this animal to steer itself. This would have allowed it to traverse streams, rivers and lakes with ease.

Aside from its boomerang-shaped head, Diplocaulus also had other distinct features. It was approximately 3 feet long, had 4 shortened-legs, a long and flat tail and weighed around 5-10 pounds. It lived in the ancient swamps which are now known as Texas and probably lived off a diet of fish – making it a piscivore.

Rarity: Common.
Metahub Tier: Hatchling.
Health: 2700.
Damage: 1100.
Speed: 124.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Distracting Impact.
Nullifying Strike,
Swap In Distraction.

DNA can be used to create: Diplotator.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

2 Likes
Dinosaur of the Day #66 - Koolasuchus
Dinosaur of the Day #36 - Diplotator

There is one move not listed, and that is drives everyone insane with spawns.

3 Likes

Diplocaulus has a reasonable amount of health and damage which is odd for something meant to be an ancient amphibian. It has a good speed though, again, something I find a little unusual.

Diplocaulus is very much just an annoyance rather than a threat. I’m not entirely sure why you would ever include one on your team unless you were a new player and hadn’t managed to collect better yet. It is useful in collecting if you need the DNA to create the hybrid Diplotator.

I also find this animal far far too common if you live in habitat zone 3. They are just everywhere and mostly unwanted.

What move isn’t listed? According to the game the above is correct.

100% agree about spawns.

Insanity- spawn is a move, in my opinion. I live near zone 3. So i walk through the flock of einia’s just to face these little guys. At that time the only thing I wanna do is cry.:sob:It 's the moment when the game becomes very real. :joy:

1 Like

I see what you mean now. :laughing:

Yes. I live in Z3 and the amount of times I have used scents only to get nothing, and I mean nothing, but Diplocaulus is untrue!!!

1 Like