Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #46 - Erlikosaurus

Dsungarip

Erlikosaurus is a herbivorous theropod dinosaur native to Mongolia in the Cretaceous period. It’s name means “Erlik’s Lizard” and is named after Erlik - a demon king from Mongolian folklore.

Erlikosaurus were therizinosaurs, a strange group of theropods that ate plants instead of meat, and that had backward-facing pubises like ornithischians. Also like ornithischians, their jaws were tipped by a broad rounded bony beak useful for cropping off plants. Behind the beak, separated by an hiatus, there were per side twenty-three small straight coarsely serrated teeth in the maxilla. The dentary of the lower jaw had more teeth: thirty-one for a total of one hundred eight. The bony nostrils of Erlikosaurus were very large and elongated. The braincase was swollen at the back by pneumatised bone. Scientists now know some therizinosaurs were feathered, so it is likely that Erlikosaurus were as well. Erlikosaurus had exceptionally long slender claws on their feet, with a bone core of up to ten centimetres, the purpose of which is unclear; G.S. Paul surmised they were used for self-defence against predators.

As the genus is only known from very fragmentary material, it has been problematic to determine the size of Erlikosaurus, especially as most of the vertebral column of the holotype is missing. The skull length is twenty-five centimetres; the humerus is thirty centimetres long. It has been estimated to attain an adult body length of six meters (twenty feet). Erlikosaurus may have been more lightly built than close relative Segnosaurus. Other estimates are lower: in 2010 Gregory S. Paul gave a length of 4.5 metres and a weight of half a tonne

Rarity: Epic.
Tier: Omega.
Health: 3090.
Damage: 1400.
Speed: 129.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Minimal Speed Up Strike.
Rampage.
Strike and Run.

So, thoughts on this Dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

4 Likes
Dinosaur of the Day #45 - Erlidominus

Erlikosaurus was a great starter dino for me in the lower Arenas. Although for now, I have not been using Erlik much on my team. However, I’m still trying to gather more of its DNA in hopes of creating Erlidominus one day!

2 Likes

I’ve only used it a couple times. It doesn’t appear often enough around here for me to level it or use it get Erlidominus.

1 Like

Where art thou?

I really enjoyed Erlik in the lower arenas. My favorite way to use it was to kill something with the speed up strike. Then I was faster if they tried to bring out a raptor and I could one shot them. I live and work in L3 and have actually been seeing them around a lot more often. I got it to 20 recently so now I’m just collecting DNA to start fusing for Erlidom.

I do wish they would actually feature this in the weekly dinos. I think this one and Spino2 are the only 2 epics to never be features.

2 Likes

I used this one shortly after I got her, but although she was good, I found her Gen 2 companion even better. Easier to find, and typically survived for longer.

Perhaps if she was more common, I could have found a better use for her other than for Erlidom.

1 Like

That is the problem. Like many Epic’s it just doesn’t appear often enough even considering it’s rarity.

The 1.7 update increased Erlikosaurus damage from 1400 to 1470.

1 Like

Now I don’t know if I’m right, but as a therizinosaur, this creature should be quite slow. As I know, Therizinosaurids were not incredibly fast. It makes sense with Deinocherius because thats something like an Ornithomimid, but not for Erliko.
Correct me if I’m wrong

I would agree that they probably would have been slower in prehistory. I would assume that the designers come up with stats and abilities before applying a dinosaur to them for the most part. That would be my assumption here.

Ok that would probably be true. I know that the Therizinosaurus was a slow runner, but it didn’t really need it because of its giant claws, but thanks for clearing that up for me