Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #48 - Euoplocephalus

Euoplocephalus

Euoplocephalus is a dinosaur which lived approximately 70 million years ago during the late Cretaceous Period. It was first discovered by paleontologist Lawrence Morris Lambe near Red Deer River in Alberta, Canada in 1897. It was named Stereocephalus in 1902, but that name was already taken by an insect species, so it was renamed Euoplocephalus in 1910. It’s name means “well armored head.”

Euoplocephalus was around 20 feet long and weighed about 2 tons. It had a wide head, a toothless beak, a pair of horns and tons of cheek teeth. It also had ridged spikes that traveled the length of its body and had fused bony plates that wrapped around its neck. This dinosaur even had armor on its eyelids. All of this armor gave this dinosaur an extraordinary amount of protection from predators. In fact, the only feasible way for a predator to pierce this dinosaur’s skin was to flip it over and attack its soft, unarmored belly. However, that wouldn’t have been that easy either because Euoplocephalus had a spiked tail that it could swing like a club.

It’s probably a good thing that Euoplocephalus was covered in tons of armor too. That’s because it existed at the same time as some of the largest carnivores did. Some of the predators it would have had to protect itself from would have included Tyrannosaurus, Deinonychus and Aublysodon.

An interesting fact about this dinosaur is that it was an herbivore and probably went through a whole lot of plant material in one day, thanks in part to its large number of cheek teeth. This dinosaur would have lived off of conifers, seed ferns and gingkos and paleontologists estimate that it would have eaten about 150-200 pounds of food a day. Paleontologists have also speculated that this dinosaur probably used fermentation to digest its food. If that is indeed true, then this dinosaur would have produced an incredible amount of gas on a daily basis. You probably wouldn’t want to have stood behind it and that’s for sure!

Rarity: Common.
Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4500.
Damage: 900.
Speed: 112.
Defence: 40%
Critical chance: 5%

DNA can be used for: Amargacephalus.

Rampage.
Vulnerability Strike.

So, thoughts on this Dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

4 Likes

Euoplocephalus is a basic tank with decent armour but little damage. Even so, I have always found that it performed better for me than it’s big sister Ankylosaurus ever did. Out of the two I would rather have Euoplocephalus. It’s still a tank and fairly boring to play.

No one has any thoughts on this one? Not even to disagree with me?

That is some very interesting information on Euoplocephalus, @Colin_Goodman. Sadly, I don’t recall myself using it on my team, but Euoplocephalus is still essential as it’s needed in creating Amargocephalus! If I had to choose, I would pick Euoplocephalus as well because of the extra damage potential and armor.

1 Like

I had Euo on my team for quite some time, until I benched her after I felt like the performance rate was dropping as I progressed through the arenas. Plus, hybrids! She was good during the time I had her, but I much preferred Stegosaurus for that stage of the game.

It was surprising how many people would use Rampage immediately against a raptor about to Pounce though, which often allowed the raptor a second Pounce later.

1 Like

Looks decent

1 Like

She was my first tank and in the lower arenas that 40% armour was a great benefit. Of course she also introduced me to “tank combat” - the long slow trudge that was chipping away at your opponents health with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. After I encountered an Ankylosaurus in one battle, I quickly became an avid proponent of fast dinos.

1 Like

The 1.7 update reduced Euoplocephalus health down from 4500 to 4140. That seems quite a hefty drop to me.

1 Like

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Health: 4960.

Vulnerability Strike.
Rampage.

The only change since launch that Euoplocephalus has received is a heft health drop from her original 4500. Not sure myself that it was needed but maybe it was too high for a Common dinosaur perhaps? My opinion on this dinosaur has not changed. When compared to both Ankylosaurus and it’s G2, Eoplocephalus for me remains the better option. In an age where shield breakers, nullifiers and precise attackers are everywhere, I prefer to go for the damage option which Euoplocephalus gives. She’ll still go down to anything that chomps but against anything else, she is for me, the better option.

She must be an early game dinosaur as I cannot remember the last time I faced one in the Arena. If I had to guess I would say not since launch. She is too easily replaced with other dinosaurs and as such is just a DNA farm for Amagacephalus.

Thoughts on this one in the game as it is now?

It has been my favourite dinosaurs in the whole game since i started. I first time took her out of my team last summer when i started playing more seriously and got better creatures.

1 Like

Health: 3960.
Damage: 850.

Superiority Vulnerability.
Rampage.
Immune to Vulnerability.

The recent update dropped her damage slightly but added the new Ankylosauruid abilities of superior vulnerability and the immunity there of. But this isn’t a big change and as I have said repeatedly about the ankylosaur changes, I don’t it will make much of a difference to her. She still won’t see a lot of use outside of very early game.

1 Like

Euoplo (as well as the other Anky’s) improved after this change in my opinion.

With immunity to vulnerability and speed control, Euplo can do good damage to Carbo (which is a very good thing).

2 Likes

I just don’t think that they survive well enough in the game at present due to the amount of attacks that ignore armour. It makes them a speed bump and little else in my mind. They need better damage to be viable anymore.

1 Like

I personally will test it out in common skill tournaments. I think it could do quite well. If so, then it’s definitely something for early-game players. This buff probably benefits euplo, amargo, trago, and scolo best due to SV + Rampage

1 Like

Artist: Mohamad Haghani

Health: 3600.

Superiority Vulnerability.
Rampage.

Resistant to vulnerable (100%).

The 2.0 update dropped Euoplocephus’ health by a heft amount but raised her damage slightly, although not by enough in my mind. Otherwise her stats remain the same. Euoplocephus has not seen any change to her abilities either. Because she has an attack ability I still think Euoplocephus comes across a slightly better version of Ankylosaurus (Euoplocephus has always worked better for me). Euoplocephus will remain however, simply a DNA farm for her hybrid.

Euoplocephus is not suitable for Raids. She just isn’t strong enough.

What are your thoughts on Euoplocephus after the 2.0 update and how would you use her now?

Best ankylosaur. Great armor and moveset, especially for a common

1 Like