Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #5 - Amargasaurus

Alankylosaurus

Amargasaurus is a dinosaur which lived approximately 130 million years ago during the early Cretaceous Period. An interesting fact about Amargasaurus is that its name means “La Amarga lizard”; a name it was given because it was first discovered in La Amarga Arroyo, Argentina. Its fossils were first discovered in 1991 by José and Salgado Bonaparte. In Spanish La Amarga means “bitter creek”, so in essence the name of this dinosaur means ‘bitter creek lizard’.

This dinosaur was approximately 30-35 feet long and weighed around 5 tons. It had a 7 foot long neck and walked on all four legs. For protection, it had two rows of spines that grew out of its neck, back and tail. Some paleontologists have postulated that this dinosaur may have actually had a sail that grew out of its back. If it did, then it would have been used to make the dinosaur look better, for regulation of body temperature or maybe even used for mating rituals.

This dinosaur was a sauropod like Brontosaurus, Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus. However, although it belongs to this family of dinosaurs, it is one of the smallest dinosaurs in this group. It was half the length and a third of the weight of the Brontosaurus, and was almost a third of the size and more than half the weight of Brachiosaurus.

Since Amargasaurus is a sauropod it was most likely an herbivore. It probably lived off of a diet of seed ferns, gingkos, club mosses and cycads. Since this dinosaur didn’t have teeth, then it probably had to swallow all of this plant material whole. Therefore, it has been postulated by paleontologists that this dinosaur may have swallowed stones that helped grind this plant material in its stomach, aiding in digestion.

Paleontologists also believe that these dinosaurs may have traveled in herds. This would have protected individual animals in the herd from predators. It has also been theorized that these dinosaurs had eggs in clutches and may have even taken care of them like modern birds do.

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: Hatchling.
Health: 5400.
Damage: 1100.
Speed: 103
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Decelerating Rampage.
Pinning Strike.
Slowing Impact.

DNA used for: Amargocephalus and Gigaspikasaur.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

3 Likes
Dinosaur of the Day #6 - Amargocephalus
Dinosaur of the Day #50 - Gigaspikasaur

I’m not as fan of using sauropods anyway and this one seems really wishy-washy. I find there are better options although both hybrids that Amargasaurus creates are worth the time collecting the DNA.

2 Likes

Ayy the good old rare sauropod.
Not much to say.
His kit is pretty bad and just a standart dino for low levels.
But dart every amargarsaurus you can, his hybrids are very good.

1 Like

Amarga doesn’t get much of a fair shake in this game, and that’s probably due to the very limited role sauropods are able to play in this game.

She wasn’t the biggest, but her family, the Dicraeosaurs, weren’t very large and robust animals anyway. They were a distant south American offshoot of Diplodocus (third cousins?), which were called Diplodocoids. (Anytime you get a very distant offshoot from a genus, you tack on ‘-oid’ to the end of the genus name when describing it. An example would be “Amargasaurus was a Diplodocoid sauropod in the Dicraeosaur family.”

2 Likes

Thanks for this, I love learning about the dinos… before playing this game, I had never even heard about this beautiful dino.

Amargasaurus is needed for my Tragodistis, so always a welcome sight on the map :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m pleased it’s informative. I’m hoping through these posts @Dalek62771 can share his knowledge and we can get discuss strengths/weaknesses and possible tactics to improve our teams.

1 Like

That’s my problem with them. They don’t really make much of a threat and are another meaty speed bump to get through, just prolonging the battle for no real gain.

Amarga on her own is pretty much underpowered as a rare. Makes sense, in that in life, she was only around 30 feet in length, fully grown.

I’m still going for both Gigaspikasaur and tragod. Those make good use of this strange looking sauropod.

I’ve got Giga but she didn’t last long on my team for the same reason.

i love this creature. one of the ingredients to my beloved giga which i have on my team at level 26. giga has been upgraded to apex status and has saved my butt many times.

1 Like

Cool. When we get far enough along for Gigaspikasaur to be dinosaur of the day, I hope you’ll comment on how you use it and how it saved you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m still confused on to why it has TWO slowing moves when there are dinosaurs who are slower than it and only have one.

1 Like

Update 1.7 drops the damage for Amargasaurus down to 1020 which is a fair drop. Wasn’t really worth playing anyway and this doesn’t help.

And another one

I will do them for each of the updated dinosaurs.

Well, the more updates on normal dinos the more drawings I’ll do

1 Like