Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #51 - Giraffatitan

Dsungarip

Giraffatitan was a sauropod dinosaur that lived during the late Jurassic Period. It ate 880 lbs of plant food per day. It was originally named as an African species of Brachiosaurus (B. brancai) because of their similar appearance. The Giraffatitan is one of the largest animals known ever to have walked the earth. The only discovered species is called Giraffatitan brancail.

Giraffatitan was a sauropod, one of a group of four-legged, plant-eating dinosaurs with long necks and tails and relatively small brains. It had a giraffe-like build, with long forelimbs and a very long neck. The skull had a tall arch anterior to the eyes, consisting of the bony nares, a number of other openings, and large teeth. Traditionally, the distinctive high-crested skull has been seen as a characteristic of the Brachiosaurus to which Giraffatitan brancai was originally referred, but because within the traditional Brachiosaurus material it is known only from Tanzanian specimens now assigned to Giraffatitan, it is possible that Brachiosaurus altithorax did not show this feature. For many decades, Giraffatitan was claimed to be the largest dinosaur known, but in the later part of the 20th century several giant titanosaurians (Argentinosaurus, Puertasaurus and Futalognkosaurus) appear to have surpassed Giraffatitan in terms of sheer mass. However, Giraffatitan, along with Brachiosaurus are still the largest dinosaurs known from relatively complete material.

Rarity: Rare.
Tier: Alpha.
Health: 5550.
Damage: 1150.
Speed: 107.
Defence: 10%
Critical chance: 20%

DNA can be used for: Nodopatatitan.

Bellow.
Rampage.
Superiority Strike.
Swap-In Slow.

So, thoughts on this Dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

5 Likes
Dinosaur of the Day #82 - Nodopatotitan

For a sauropod this actually isn’t too bad. While it is still a speed bump it can handle itself and put out a decent amount of damage. I’m still not sure that it is worth including once you have dinosaurs that can deal more damage and have a better selection of abilities. I rarely face one in the Arena so I may be a little biased.

1 Like

It is actually pretty good against most dinosaurs that either get hurt by distraction cleansing, being slowed or can’t get past shield. The extra critical hit can also pack a decent punch.

That being said, Suchotator and Tyrant class theropods (Tarbosaurus, Allosaurus, T. Rex etc…) make a quick work out of it. But it’s pretty solid and I would argue it’s better than Nodopatotitan… Mainly because Nodopatotitan hits like a wet noodle.

2 Likes

By the way, the best way to test out how relevant a rare, epic or common is with friendly battles. The stats act pretty weirdly in JWA and I don’t exactly know the maths behind it, but it feels like they get exponentially better somehow.

It’s the same reason why lot of folks drop I-Rex thinking she is weak and relies too heavily on cloack, just to discover that after lvl 24 she can drop dead multiple uniques without switching out, played right.

I am partially guilty in that regard as well, I really thougth for example T.Rex is heavily outclassed by Thor and the likes. But at level 26, it can also drop dead even uniques and hurt another dino with a bit of tactical usage and/or setup.

I definitely feel Giraffatitan is one of those as well… Is it worth leveling up all the way to 26? Probably not? Are there better alternatives… Well, yeah, kinda. Can it be a force to be reckoned with though? Absolutely.

It’s also worth noting that most of these underused or not so highly regarded dinosaurs are not that outclassed inherently, they just suffer from the fact most people in this game suffer from the “stuff the most OP things in a team without thinking for 2 seconds”. Also the reason why those exact same people who don’t know how to stategise well scream their heads off when their noskill nobrain dinosaur is about to get a well-deserved nerf.

So anyway, back on topic, Giraffatitan is definitely not your solo, drop 2 dinosaurs dead on it’s own dinosaur, that is sure. But it can stall unfavorable matches and setup that the next dino is bound to succeed and also in certain matchups can lay down a suprising ammount of beating. But you also can’t just expect it to carry no matter what, you actually have to bend around her teammates so they cancel out eachothers weaknesses and enhance oneoneothers.

It’s also a reason why you can usually tear apart teams 3-5 dinosaur levels above you. Most people just throw together the most overpowered things in existence, but absolutely don’t know how to strategise multiple turns forward or how to setup multi-dinosaur combos, instead of cookie-cutter nobrainer combos like distract-stun-run.

It’s funny to see a team of Indoraptor, Utarinex, Diloracheirus and Spinotasuchus absolutely fall apart from something as simple as 3 chompers and a Diorajasaurus after eachother, because they can’t handle unorthodox strategies. Giraffatitan also excels at that, because it can be really unpredictable and can smack around a good deal of dinosaurs if you know how to predict and read the enemy.

4 Likes

You make very good points there. I think each dinosaur has a level bracket where they are very good but before and after that bracket they are outclassed. You have to work out where that sweet spot is.

2 Likes

It’s also probably why I have an issue with some of metahubs tier evaluations. They are looking at level 26 across the board and most of us are looking at what we currently have.

1 Like

At the moment, I’m saving what Giraffatitan DNA I can find to unlock Nodopatotitan, after that I am tempted to keep levelling her. I live in L4 so in theory, it wouldn’t be that hard to do (depending on what 1.6 brings). From my experience playing defensive tank style battles, the Brachiosaurus and Giraffatitan are second only to Alankylosaurus in terms of how enjoyable they are to use. I generally dislike the play style of most tanks as I find it sluggish and dull.

I’m trying to save up to add Nodopatotitan to the collection as well. It’s a slow process but my Alliance is helping out step by step.I use Alankylosaurus too but only as a counter to Indominus. Too many people used it against me that ways that I felt I should do the same in return. But I’m not a fan of tanks and playing the defensive game so much.

Apart from the speed, the other issue I have with tanks is their move set. They lack anything that’s definitively “punchy”. Brachiosaurus, Giraffatitan and Alankylosaurus all have Rampage, which is conveyed by (in my opinion at least) suitably dramatic animations. I’d rather watch an elegant giant stamp the ground in a rage or a graceful flier swoop in for the attack than watch a fat armadillo trying to sit down every other turn.

2 Likes

It is just my experience, but it feels like level 24 is the turning point, when a dinosaur shows its true potential. Whether or not it’s good or bad is another question, but it feels like 24+ is a point where you can pretty safely determine what can do what.

Surprisingly it feels worlds apart what a lvl 21 Indominus can do from lvl 20, despite the actual Stat changes not being so drastic. But since most players leave her at 20 they never really get a peak into her full potential…

… Then they meet a lvl 24+ or end up being on the receiving end of this:

1 Like

Love it!

• Faster then I-Rex If overlevel and aswell shield to half the damage!
  • 20% crit
  • Awesome SIA with 50% speed reduction, means its faster then 33% reduction
  • When it’s about to die, use ”bellow” and your next creature (Thor :wink: is faster.
3 Likes

I barely ever see this dinosaur! I’ve been trying to level one up to 15 for ages, but not even my alliance members have any to spare. Currently sitting at level 14.

I haven’t used Giraf much thanks to the low level, unfortunately. All I can say is that Swap-In Slow can prove to be very useful at times.

2 Likes

Agree, it is a set-up Dino.

When you can set it up, it changes the pace of the battle. You go on the offense right after and can catch your opponent off guard, as they did not see it coming.

“What?? How does that slower Dino get to go first??”

1 Like

Can’t say much about this one. It’s again, another one of those dinosaurs I’ve never knew existed so thanks JWA. I do have to say that it’s cotton candy hybrid, Nodopatotitan, has helped me win the “Fast” themed epic tower (the one with the 27 Blue and other leveled Delta & Charlie a while back) so there’s that. I actually like Bellow alot. Sadly, all my Nodopatosaurus stock is going towards my Stegodeus (Named Boris) and my Nodosaurus stock is going towards my little brother to get his Stegodeus soon.

1 Like

I love this Dino currently at level 18 planning to level it as much as possible.

2 Likes

Mine is still at lvl 13 and no plans to lvl it up or creating its hybrid :stuck_out_tongue: I donate its DNA in alliance whenever someone ask for it

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s hybrid(which I unlocked just to have it in my collection) is awful Brachiosaurus and Giraffatitan are much better.

2 Likes

I don’t unlock/create a new legendary hybrid if I’m not gonna use it in my team. As coins are very limited and hard to get in the game.

1 Like

In the 1.7 update poor Giraffatitan has her damage reduced from 1150 down to 1020. Quite a big drop.