Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #55 - Gryposuchus

Dsungarip

Gryposuchus was initially known as Ramphostoma neogaues until the‭ ‬addition of the second species in‭ ‬1912‭ ‬when it was realised that Ramphostoma was already used and actually a synonym for a genus of blind snakes called Leptotyphlops.‭ ‬Although a synonym,‭ ‬Ramphostoma could not be applied as it was first used in‭ ‬1860‭ ‬and the first Gryposuchus fossil not described until twenty-five years later in‭ ‬1885.
In life Gryposuchus would have resembled a ten meter long gharial,‭ ‬a‭ ‬crocodile that has a particularly long and narrow snout.‭ ‬Gharials are known to eat almost entirely fish when full grown and it is possibly that Gryposuchus hunted in a similar way for particularly large fish species.‭ ‬Gryposuchus also seems to have been active in both coastal and freshwater locations,‭ ‬further increasing its ability to find prey,‭ ‬perhaps also including marine mammals into their diet.
Gryposuchus lived in South America during a time that may have seen it living in the same waterways as two other giant crocodiles called Purussaurus and Mourasuchus that were actually a little larger than Gryposuchus itself.‭ ‬However Gryposuchus may not have directly competed with either of these two as Purussaurus seems to have been a more generalist predator of large animals,‭ ‬while Mourasuchus seems to have been a filter feeder consuming mouthfuls of small prey.‭
A giant crocodile that may have been similar to Gryposuchus is called Rhamphosuchus.‭ ‬While this crocodile also lived during the Miocene period,‭ ‬it actually lived on the other side of the world on the Indian subcontinent.

Rarity: Epic.
Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 3900.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 116.
Defence: 20%
Critical chance: 20%

Ferocious Strike.
Lockdown Impact.
Vulnerability Strike.

DNA can be used for: Grypolyth.

So, thoughts on this Dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

1 Like

Pretty bad for an epic, IMHO. Used it for a bit to see what it was like around other similarly leveled dinos, but didn’t get very far.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever seen it played. It doesn’t look great on paper I agree.

1 Like

I sorta just forgot about this one, I unlocked it and maybe leveled it up to 12? 13? I can’t remember. It looks cool but that moveset is just… I really like Sarcorixis out of all the crocodiles in-game but that’s just me. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It has been blind luck that I got this one. If it hadn’t been for it being a Dinosaur of the Week, I’d still be looking for it now.

Under 1.7 update, Gryposuchus gained the following changes…

• HP increased to 4050. Attack increased to 1200.
  • Basic attack becomes Defense Shattering Strike. Lockdown Impact becomes Immobilize.

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Metahub Tier: Beta.
Health: 4050.
Damage: 1240.

Defence Shattering Strike.
Immobilize.
Ferocious Strike.

Gyrpsuchus has had a bit of a hefty make over. Where as before she was fairly meh, for an Epic, now she has a bit more of a punch. I still don’t rate her highly in the Arena but I do think the 1.7 update made her more viable. A good early Epic, if you can ever find her, but easily benched when better comes along.

Thoughts on Gryposuchus these days?

Can’t seem to edit the last post for some reason… but with the addition of No Escape, how do you feel Gryposuchus fits in now? With so many swap out creatures in the game would this make her a more viable option now?

Very underrated creature in opinion. Pretty good in lower arenas and in some tournaments.

1 Like

Artist: Unknown

Tier: Beta.
Health: 4200.
Damage: 1200.

Defence Shattering Strike.
Immobilize.
Ferocious Strike.
No Escape.

Gryposuchus has received a nice increase in health and a small decrease in damage. Otherwise the giant crocodile remains unchanged even in her abilities. I don’t rate her in general though and never really have. Potentially good as an early Epic rarity hybrid if you can get her (and boy was she hard to find originally!) but forgettable in the long run I think.

Gryposuchus is another creature that I do not see as suitable Raid material. Not enough damage, and her abilities are not all that special for such a role.

What are your thoughts on Gryposuchus after 2,0 and how would you use her now?

Solid closer, but it falls flat against high damage distracters. Be used more if titanoboa didn’t kick butt as a closer

1 Like

Crocodiles need a new sticht really. No Escape and Immobilize isn’t enough when they generally don’t have decent damage or other helpful abilities.

They now function as closers, I think they simply dont hit hard enough to close tho

1 Like

That’s a Sarcosuchus

I know but I couldn’t find a decent one for Gryposuchus.

Still not a bad closer. Does well against a much bulkier opponent. Would be nice if it gained an immunity or resistance

1 Like

Got it!

2 Likes