Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #55 - Gryposuchus

Dsungarip

Gryposuchus was initially known as Ramphostoma neogaues until the‭ ‬addition of the second species in‭ ‬1912‭ ‬when it was realised that Ramphostoma was already used and actually a synonym for a genus of blind snakes called Leptotyphlops.‭ ‬Although a synonym,‭ ‬Ramphostoma could not be applied as it was first used in‭ ‬1860‭ ‬and the first Gryposuchus fossil not described until twenty-five years later in‭ ‬1885.
In life Gryposuchus would have resembled a ten meter long gharial,‭ ‬a‭ ‬crocodile that has a particularly long and narrow snout.‭ ‬Gharials are known to eat almost entirely fish when full grown and it is possibly that Gryposuchus hunted in a similar way for particularly large fish species.‭ ‬Gryposuchus also seems to have been active in both coastal and freshwater locations,‭ ‬further increasing its ability to find prey,‭ ‬perhaps also including marine mammals into their diet.
Gryposuchus lived in South America during a time that may have seen it living in the same waterways as two other giant crocodiles called Purussaurus and Mourasuchus that were actually a little larger than Gryposuchus itself.‭ ‬However Gryposuchus may not have directly competed with either of these two as Purussaurus seems to have been a more generalist predator of large animals,‭ ‬while Mourasuchus seems to have been a filter feeder consuming mouthfuls of small prey.‭
A giant crocodile that may have been similar to Gryposuchus is called Rhamphosuchus.‭ ‬While this crocodile also lived during the Miocene period,‭ ‬it actually lived on the other side of the world on the Indian subcontinent.

Rarity: Epic.
Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 3900.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 116.
Defence: 20%
Critical chance: 20%

Ferocious Strike.
Lockdown Impact.
Vulnerability Strike.

DNA can be used for: Grypolyth.

So, thoughts on this Dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

1 Like

Pretty bad for an epic, IMHO. Used it for a bit to see what it was like around other similarly leveled dinos, but didn’t get very far.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever seen it played. It doesn’t look great on paper I agree.

1 Like

I sorta just forgot about this one, I unlocked it and maybe leveled it up to 12? 13? I can’t remember. It looks cool but that moveset is just… I really like Sarcorixis out of all the crocodiles in-game but that’s just me. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It has been blind luck that I got this one. If it hadn’t been for it being a Dinosaur of the Week, I’d still be looking for it now.

Under 1.7 update, Gryposuchus gained the following changes…

• HP increased to 4050. Attack increased to 1200.
  • Basic attack becomes Defense Shattering Strike. Lockdown Impact becomes Immobilize.