Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #6 - Amargocephalus

Alankylosaurus

Amargocephalus boasts both the bone scutes of the Euplocephalus and the dorsal spikes of Amargasaurus. The skeletal density of this hybrid makes it one of the heaviest dinosaurs relative to its size.

Base DNA: Amargasaurus and Euplocephalus.
Rarity: Epic.
Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4500.
Damage: 950.
Speed: 104.
Defence: 40%
Critical chance: 5%

Vulnerability Strike.
Impact.
Instant Invincibility.
Decelerating Impact.
Counter-Attack.

DNA used for: Tragodistis.

So, thoughts on this hybrid dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

1 Like

Probably the second or third hybrid I ever completed. Served me well early on but I don’t think it holds up as well at later levels.

3 Likes

Well… I use this one occasionally, but to be honest, I will probably stop using it when I get Ankyntro. Yes, Amargo’s HP and armor are pretty decent, but there’s just too many nullifying dinos out there who can really ruin your day if you try using instant invulnerability.

As a tank, though, she really does shine. I recommend her as a lower-tier tank in arenas 1-6, but after that, go for building Ankyntro.

1 Like

I’ve leveled mine up just so I can start work on Tragodistis.I doubt Amargocephalus will see use in the Arena again.

I’m also working on Tragod, but to be honest, it’s the para DNA that I can’t seem to find around here very often. That’s the only thing holding her back, really. I actually get more Kentro DNA from incubs than I do para in the wild.

They just keep moving the Paras around every other day here… Not cool.

Around here there was a solid run of them in the summer and I had enough to complete Paramoloch and have plenty left over.

Yeah, it was like that here as well. After the summer, though… Migration. Ugh.

My little brother is using her right now, he’s at the 2.2k trophy range in the Badlands, it’s serving him well, he’s working on Paramoloch so once he gets that it’ll probably replace Amargo. From my experience, I replaced her with Stegoceratops when I made her. All-in-all it’s a decent low tiered tank.

2 Likes

I don’t think that Amargo was really meant to be a permanent tank on teams. This game is about progression through building better monsters, and there are lots of different hybrids that are usually replaced with newer variants. Case in point - my Ankylocodon is at level 18 so far, and I really don’t plan on levelling her further, focusing more on Monolometro. I’m even considering levelling postimetro up further. Lots of players still using posti at higher levels. As for Stegocera, I am seeing a decline in usage after arena 6, with more people using Monostego instead.

1 Like

I have it to 20, and soon 21. I love him with strong hp and armor. This dino have the possibility to decrease speed every two turn’s, so not bad. And his counter attack is pretty decent, i know tragodistis could be better, but i have fun play with him !

1 Like

I think that it’s okay to keep it on your roster if you want, it’s your preference after all. But it’s definitely not a hybrid that many like to use, basically because of the fact that anyone with a nullifying attack can destroy your invulnerability shield. And there’s a lot of immune dinos that can’t be slowed down. This is where Amargo ceases to be viable in battle, becoming nothing more than a spiky paperweight that soaks up damage, while not doing enough damage to compensate.

That being said, I have been killed by people who really know how and when to use this dino. It’s more useful in certain situations, really.

1 Like

Extremely limited use especially in the era of bleeders. There are just too many Dino’s at all levels that can get around it’s defenses

1 Like

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Metahub Tier: Alpha High.
Damage: 950.

Vulnerability Strike.
Impact.
Decelerating Impact.
Instant Invincibility.
Medium Counter-Attack.

In the last year Amargocephalus nothing has changed. Although I am more likely to see it’s hybrid Tragodistis, I still do see Amargocephalus a few times in the high Arenas. Do people still use this hybrid or has it become another creature relegated to the benches?

1 Like

Well sadly no in arena 3, but then again I am fighting dinos from anywhere from level 11 to 18.

1 Like

It’s another hybrid that was used quite a bit soon after game launch but not anymore. Even newer players will probably only use it as a stepping stone to Tragodistis.

Damage: 900.

Superior Vulnerability.
Impact.
Decelerating Impact.
Instant Invincibility.
Medium Counter-Attack.
Immune to Vulnerability.

The recent update dropped her damage slightly but upgraded her to Superior Vulnerability and made her immune to vulnerable. Has this made her more of a viable choice now or will she remain on a DNA for her hybrid?

Tagodistis is still better but I like amargocephalus more because her design and kit. Pretty good hybrid for lower arenas.

1 Like

Health: 3600.
Damage: 900.

Superior Vulnerability.
Thagomizer.
Instant Invincibility Taunt.
Decelerating Impact.
Medium Counter-Attack.

Resistances to speed decrease (50%), Taunt (100%) and Vulnerable (100%).

Other than a sizeable drop in health Amargocephalus has changed very little under 2.0 really. She still remains a creature whose abilities focus on slowing the opposition and making them vulnerable if necessary. She could do with having her damage raised just a little bit however, as 900 is just too low for an Epic rarity. Unfortunately I think Amargocephalus will remain a DNA farm but as an easy to create early hybrid she may see use in lower corners of the Arena.

I don’t think she is equipped to be a Raid creature either though. No team abilities and not strong enough to deal with Raid bosses means she’ll be not see play in that environment.

What are your thoughts on the changes to Amagocephalus under 2.0 and how will she be best played now?

I remember amargoceph, she was my first epic hybrid, and she helped me climb from fallen kingdom to MT. Sibo. Now In my opinion, I agree that she could use an attack buff. Something I would change is her moveset. Decelerating impact would become decelerating rampage from her amargasaurus parent, and possibly a swap in move such as swap in defence. I also think she could use a health buff going from 3600 to 4100 at lvl 26.

1 Like