Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #60 - Irritator

Irritator is a dinosaur which lived around 105-110 million years ago during the early Cretaceous Period. It was first discovered in 1996 in Brazil and later named by Martill, Cruikshank, Frey, Small and Clark in the same year. It was given the name Irritator because the paleontologists had found out that the snout had been artificially made longer by illegal fossil hunters. The fossil hunters elongated the skull in hopes of getting more money for it, but it just made it harder for paleontologists to reconstruct the original features of this dinosaur. Therefore, they gave it its name—a name which comes from the word irritated.

This dinosaur was around 21 feet long and weighed around 3 tons. At least, that is what is believed to have been its dimensions. Paleontologists aren’t quite sure because they only have a skull to work with and they can’t ascertain where the rest of the skeleton may be because the skull has come from illegal fossil hunters.

Because there are so few facts about Irritator available, much of its behavior and diet is merely speculation from scientists. For example, many paleontologists assume that this dinosaur behaved much like a Spinosaur. That it probably lived off of a diet of fish and carrion—maybe even plants—and may have even had a sail on its back.

Rarity: Rare.
Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4800.
Damage: 1030.
Speed: 123.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

DNA can be used for: Pyrritator.

Defence Shattering Impact.
Defence Shattering Strike.
Ready to Crush.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

1 Like

Not a bad early on dinosaur but I’m not a fan of Ready to Crush. It just feels like forgoing damage, but leaving yourself open to attack, just to boost damage the following turn. I’d rather be dealing damage now before I get my dinosaur wiped out.

1 Like

It sure Irritates me that I can never get its dna! :rofl:
I usually get arambourgiania :frowning:

2 Likes

In my time I’ve had plenty but I just donate it in my Alliance these days.

The 1.7 update increased Irritator’s damage up to a 1070.

1 Like

What’s an Irritator?
Is that in the game?

4 Likes

Yes, there are two, Rare Irritator and Common Irritator Gen2

1 Like

the rare irritator being one of the hardest rares to be obtained from an incubator

2 Likes
1 Like

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4800.
Damage: 1200.
Speed: 123.
Critical chance: 5%

Ready to Crush.
Defence Shattering Impact.

The only change to Irritator since launch has been a boost to Damage. Otherwise she remains the same. Irritator now deals more reasonable although average damage. I’m still not enamoured by the Ready to Crush ability but I can see the use for it.

At one point Irritator DNA was almost impossible to get but since then it has become much easier to acquire as the game progresses. But is there much use for it now? It has Pyrritator as a hybrid but that is about it.

Thoughts on this dinosaur these days?

3 Likes

Magna is useful as ever, so there’s that. Irritator will probably remain a number on the fusion menu for most.

1 Like

“Ready to Crush” is very good especially with counter attack creatures.My Tryos can beat Puruta with 1 hit easily.

So is possible Irritator is good with counter attackers!

2 Likes

That is a very good point. Counter attacks were not really a thing at the time, so perhaps that does make Irritator better in that regard.

2 Likes

Artist: Abelov

Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4500.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 126.
Critical chance: 30%

Ready to Crush.
Group Takedown.

Resistant to speed decrease (100%) and vulnerable (100%).

Irritator has lost some health and damage but her critical chance has increased nicely. However, she has lost her defence shattering strike in favour of a much less useful group takedown. Irritator has two damage abilities but only one attack ability now. For me, this makes her pointless in Arena battles as she just will not be able to compete as normal.

However, a lot of people see these changes as being awesome for Raid battles where she can boost her team mates effectively. Everyone else will just need to keep her alive. So, I think she has been swapped from being an Arena creature to almost a purely Raid creature.

What are your thoughts on Irritator after 2.0 and how would you use her now?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty useless in the arena, but awesome in raids.
Being able to add a 50% damage buff more than any other team-buffer easily makes up for the loss of a high-damage move, because one buffed Rampage < a whole team of buffed creatures.

Just putting Irritator on the team drastically lowers the level and boost requirements for the other 3 creatures, because of that insane damage output and healing.

Plus, it can easily pull its weight, even on a team of maxed Uniques, while being a ridiculously small investment itself.

And of course, being a Rare, it can be used against any Boss, and being a Global night spawn means it isn’t too hard to level up.

Easily one of the best raid creatures in the game.

2 Likes