Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #8 - Ankylosaurus

Ankylosaurus

Ankylosaurus is a dinosaur which lived approximately 70 million years ago during the Cretaceous Period. It was first discovered in 1908 by Barnum Brown. It was named Ankylosaurus—a name which means “fused lizard”. Fossils of this dinosaur have been found in Canada and western portions of the United States.

Ankylosaurus is one of the largest armor plated dinosaurs ever discovered. This animal was approximately 30 feet long, 6 feet wide, 4 feet tall and weighed right around 4 tons. It has many large oval plates that were fused into its leathery skin, and these plates covered this dinosaur’s entire body except for its belly, which would have been exposed. This dinosaur also had two rows of spikes that traveled down its body, large horns on top of its head and a club like tail that had spikes on it. All of this armor was necessary for it to protect itself from some of the apex predators of the time including the T Rex, Deinonychus and Tarbosaurus. The only way any of these predators could wound the Ankylosaurus would be for them to attack the underbelly of this dinosaur where there wasn’t any armor.

These dinosaurs were herbivores—meaning they fed on plants and trees. Since its teeth were insufficient to crush plant matter, it more than likely used their teeth to strip leaves from branches. They would then use fermentation to break down this plant material in their guts.

Although the Ankylosaurus was a well armored creature, it was also quite slow. Computer models suggest that these creatures could only move about 6 miles per hour, which is just slightly faster than a turtle traveling at top speed.

Rarity: Epic.
Metahub Tier: Survivour.
Health: 4800.
Damage: 900.
Speed: 116.
Defence: 30%
Critical Chance: 5%

Vulnerability Strike,
Long Protection.
Instant Invincibility.

DNA used for: Ankyntrosaurus and Rajakylosaurus.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

Dinosaur of the Day #10 - Ankyntrosaurus

Not a bad dinosaur if you like tanks but I prefer my team dinosaurs to actually deal some damage. I for myself I found Euplocephalus a far better option.

I have to agree overall with you there. Euo has better armor, and - let’s face it - shows up a lot more often than Anky up there.

That aside, I basically only use Anky for her DNA. Once you get her to level 15 (which is no small feat, let me tell you), you really need to use her for either Ankyntro or the other one… the semi-useless flappy dragon thing, whose name eludes me at the moment…

Actually the Alankylosaurus uses Ankylosaurus Gen2 DNA. Rajakylosaurus is another good hybrid, however. And that and Akyntro both have fantastic uniques.

Sorry, my bad. I forgot that one. It’s easy to forget the gen2 variant of Anky even exists, until ludia throws literal herds of them at you during migration. LOL Map spam.

Anky gen 2 - useless except as DNA for Ankylocodon.

But yeah, i need to build me a rajanky.

Well that’s a lot of rubbish because I’ve seen far more alankylosaurus in the Aviary than I have Akylocodon…

I actually find Alanky to be quite useful. Great counter to Irex with the swap in Invincibility. I should have mine up to a 20 soon.

alankylosaurus is an objectively better dinosaur than ankylocodon though. Higher rarity, far higher on the metahub tier list…

With the new meta dinos capable of ripping right through invulnerability, it loses a lot of its defensive capability, turning it into just a highly armored harasser.

I get what you’re saying about the rarity, but you can’t pick a solid dino based on rarity alone, or on how high-tier it is. There’s always something that comes along in the meta to make it useless.

It might not be totally worthless at the moment, but at the rate this meta is going, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Alanky was made obsolete.

Anywho… Epic Anky seems to be just fusion material in the end. It’s not meant to be competitive for long as-is, although at lower levels it can still pack a wallop.

All off-topic comments will be deleted

Yeah, I see a pretty decent amount of anky, and I managed to get rajakylo… But like you said, anky is more used for her dna…

Thank you @J.C

Ank the “component Dino” strengths:useful for creating uniques
Weaknesses: almost no damage causing abilities
Shield is countered by nullify bleed and defense shattering moves so very unreliable! . Fun fact a swapin dsr can either one shot it or leave it crippled enough for the Draco g2 to finish it.
Do not lvl past 15 as you will regret it save the DNA for those uniques it fuses into!!

That’s why I found Euplocephalus to be a better choice. No shields but it was a tank that could at least deal some damage.

I think Ankylosaurus is pretty good because you can combine vulnerability strike with long protection so do 1.5x damage.

What do mean Euplocephalus is better? Ankylosaurus is faster and combined with the shield can take some big damage. It can also use to Instant Invincibility to prepare for a big it while Euplocephalus has to just sit there and take the damage.

Long term useful dunno. Early on this Dino was really a good one. I would use it as a Dino to buy time weaken a stronger opponent and then when I judge it’s life to be over I’d use vulnerability strike to allow extra damage to be dealt by next Dino. It was fun slow playing and helped me alot… Then I out grew it and but it in a box labeled spare parts.

Euplocephalus is better with damage.
Ankylo is just armor and shields.
Eu is good because he has higher armor and he doesn’t need shields.
Vulnerable + rampage = dead dino