Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #80- Monostegotops

That’s the beauty of it. I think it can play almost any role. I like it as an opener, but have used it as a mid-game dino to finish off a pesky indoraptor. I prefer faster dinos for the end game, but I think it’s a good addition to any team.

5 Likes

How do you use Monostegotops? As an opener? Mid-game? Finisher? Would you think I should replace Stegoceratops with Monostegotops? Sorry for all the questions :sweat_smile:

Excellent opener, also excellent mid-game and also pretty decent finisher. The advantage of a slowing move on turn 1 helps in getting at least 2 hits off as an opener. The advantage of nullifying means it can help a lot against stuff like Indoraptor, Erlidom, Indominus which dodge a lot. Also has a 75% stunning move, plus a 20% crit chance, which means its damage output is a lot higher than it normally would be. I would suggest using it as an opener and trying it out.

3 Likes

I just replied to your comment :grin: I would be happy to answer anything else you want to know about Monostego, I use it a lot on my team and love it.

To answer your other question, yes, Monostego can be a good replacement for Stegoceratops. Stegocera has different utility as a stun machine but Monostego is more versatile and well rounded and can hit through evasive and cloak.

1 Like

@MyFishDrowned I prefer to be reactive with it, adding it in when I need the nullification or stun. I don’t see the point to starting with it though - I prefer something faster and more damage dealing.

I had Vlad on my team for a long time, even when no one thought he was good.
Then the 75% stun came :pray:t2:
Then the cooldowns were shortened :pray:t2:

5 Likes

I want to use this dino again pretty badly, but since Mono DNA is so hard and because I’m trying to collect 'em all, I can never seem to get enough to level up enough to meet the rest of my team.

1 Like

The 1.7 update reduced Monostegotops health down from 4440 to 4260. Perhaps another reduction ready for player stat boosts?

Monosteg is one of my favourites. Been on my team since creation and always managed to keep it at team level. It’s incredibly good at strike towers due to the versatile move-set, and often makes a human opponent think twice about swapping. If I predict a swap, I use the stunning impact to gain a free hit on whatever swaps in.
I never start with it, and when I was in Sorna and Lockwood, always used my favourite trick of leading with a fast heavy hitter (Utahsino etc) hoping the opponent led with Indominus. They cloak, I swap to Mono, and BAM!, goodbye to the cloak, often with a crit, and either a dead Indominus on the next turn, or a seriously wounded, stunned or slowed swap in…
Such a monster.
Will still be using it post 1.7

1 Like

It’s still on my team at level 18 and continues to work fantastic for me.

One of my favorite Dino.

1 Like

It has been nearly a year since the Dinosaur of the Day discussions started and I thought it might be nice to slowly revisit them and see how things have changed.

Rarity: Legendary.
Metahub Tier: Apex High.
Health: 4200.
Damage: 1000.
Speed: 117.
Defence: 30%
Critical chance: 20%

Distraction.
Dig In.
Greater Stunning Impact.
Slowing Impact.
Swap in Stunning Strike.

Since release Monostegotops has seen a drop in health and a complete reshuffle of abilities. At the time I really liked this hybrid and it was one of my favourites when I used them. Since the change to ceratopsians, I find I’m not a fan anymore. This used to be a good nullifier and counter type dinosaur. Although it used to be annoying, without a nullification ability I think she has now become a lot less useful which is a shame. I still see her from time to time in the Arena but not as frequent as she used to be.

What are your thoughts on Monostegotops in the modern meta?

1 Like

Monostego is more an annoying dino, sad if he keeps his stats and Nullifying impact he’ll be good against Indo gen2

1 Like

It took me nearly a year from Monosteg’s release to actually gather enough ingredients and make it. But once I created it, I decided to give it a go. Man, it did not disappoint. I was so happy, so I brought it up to team level. And when boosts came around, I boosted her up to become a monster.

But then the rework came around not too long afterwards. I was so mad, cause it seemed that I did all this work on a legendary that has actual power in the Arena just went down the drain, and it didn’t matter what I felt about it.

I still use it, but I’m sad to say that it is more of a… Pity usage? Or maybe frustration. I mean, before the rework, it was actually my highest leveled dino at the time. I guess I just felt that it didn’t feel right to put all that coin back in the deck unused. So I boosted Monosteg again. The attack is left to be strongly desired, but I think that I’ve somewhat adapted to the moveset.

2 Likes

I’m afraid my post a few months ago in the “Opinions Of: Monostegotops” thread jynxed her! :cry: (Opinions of: Monostegotops). Before she was indeed nerfed into oblivion she was one of my favorites with her nullifying ability. I boosted her and used her often with great success. I had her up to level 27 before the nerf hit. I’m still leveling her just in case she’s ever returned to her former glory as a nullifier in addition to distraction and stun. She now level 28.

2 Likes

Real shame. I’ve loved monostego for a long time… it’s a shame it got nerfed for no reason.

2 Likes

Possibly it got the nerf hammer due to Income Raptor. It would have been a great counter and most users already had one at a reasonably high enough level to deal with it. Users were less likely to spend on Income Raptor if everyone already had the counter to it.

1 Like

Monolophosaurus never spawned around work or home, so I was very excited to finally get enough of its DNA in order to make a team-level Monostegotops (this is WAY after the Monomimus nerf, mind you, so I felt completely safe using the component DNA for Mono-tops), only to have the Ceratopsian family get their “Dig-In” overhaul. Even though I hear good things about its new kit, the old one was just so much fun to play bc it felt like it would win match-ups that it probably had no place winning - that said, the previous statement is likely why it got down-tuned so much!

2 Likes

Hmm, I wonder if that’s why my beloved Ardentismaxima can no longer do this?

I find it interesting that Monostegotops and Ardentismaxima have had that ability to bypass cloak/evasive removed :money_mouth_face: :crazy_face: :poop:

2 Likes