Ludia Forums

Dinosaur of the Day #87 - Ouranosaurus

Lythronax

Ouranosaurus is a dinosaur which lived during the early Cretaceous Period or about 112 to 125 million years ago. It was first discovered by Philippe Taquet in 1965 in the southern Sahara Desert of Niger, Africa. 11 years later—in 1976—he named it Ouranosaurus, a name which means “brave lizard.”

This dinosaur was around 24 feet long, 10 feet high and weighed around 4 tons. It was an herbivore dinosaur that had a big sail on its back that ran from the base of its neck to the tip of its tail. This sail is believed to have been used to keep the animal cool during the hot days. It could do this by expelling heat through the sail. Other paleontologists believe that this wasn’t the purpose of it at all, that it was used only for the dinosaur to attract a mate with. Kind of like feathers on a peacock.

A well known fact about Ouranosaurus is that although it didn’t have any teeth in its bony beak, it did have teeth in its cheek. This would have allowed the dinosaur to grind a variety of plant material so it could easily digest it. This dinosaur’s diet probably consisted of seed ferns, ginkgos and club mosses.

Rarity: Epic.
Metahub Tier: Alpha.
Health: 4830.
Damage: 1310.
Speed: 114.
Defence: 0%
Critical chance: 5%

Greater Stunning Rampage.
Impact and Run.
Superiority Strike.

DNA can be used for: Diloranosaurus.

So, thoughts on this dinosaur? Is it worth including on a team? Tactics and suggestions? What changes would you make and anything else you can think of?

3 Likes

Not a bad dinosaur but just doesn’t appear often enough for me to have leveled it much.

1 Like

This was the first Epic that I started to skip, because it just seemed so “meh”.

Now, it’s the only thing holding me back from leveling Diloranosaurus. :coffin:

3 Likes

Agreed. It certainly isn’t an Alpha level dinosaur in my opinion.

1 Like

What’s interesting is that Ourano seems to have a thumb spike, making it an Iguanodon relative, rather than a hadrosaur. It was a small spike, but there nonetheless. Hadrosaurs didn’t have them. They also didn’t have beaks, at least not what I typically think of as a beak. Iguanodontids did.

It’s thought that Iguanodontids gave rise to the hadrosaurs, and that Ourano was a hadrosaur. I say “bull feathers”. Until there is proof, such as a transitional species discovered that clearly displays features that are present in both genera, I’m going to still say that Ourano was a sail-backed African Iguanodontid. It may have been one of those weird looking mutations, but it was an Iguanodontid.

2 Likes

I like this Dinosaur in my team. It is a good first dino when you are not sure what your opponent is going to throw out.

Slow followed by Stun can make sure you getting a few needed initial hits in, and using the hit and run when near end of health makes it a dino switch that leaves a mark.

It has been my experience that using this dinosaur can put you ahead of the curve, either by taking out a weak one they throw out first, or getting ahead against a tougher opponent without losing a round yourself

This Dinosaur has regularly ended up as my 8th pick, with decent health and damage that makes this an all-rounder to seriously think about

2 Likes

incoming drawing

I think this dino is just an urban legend. Are you suggesting people actually see this dino in the game? Rubbish.

1 Like

I do, like every week, saw two at once today :grin:

1 Like

The funniest thing is, it’s actually the opposite of being an advanced Iguanodontid, despite showing evolutionary forward pointing characteristics. Ouranosaurus is closer related to Iguanodon, actually being its “sister genus”, rather than being closer related to the physically much more similar Muttaburrasaurus or Tenontosaurus.

Here is the freshest (2017) cladogram:

But the article itself by Madzia is worth reading as well.

1 Like

Ouranosaurus In action: Initial Assault + Rest of Battle

1 Like

4 Likes

The 1.7 update reduced Ouranosaurus damage down from 1310 to 1290.

Still wish this would appear a bit more often.

It does for me