Ludia Forums

Dinosaurs we would Like #10 - Latenivenatrix (a.k.a. Troodon)

Latenivenatrix

Bio:

You first may be wondering, ‘what in the world is a Latenivenatrix?’ ‘Is DinoMaster throwing out crazy names I’ve never heard of again?’ But you actually know it well by its old name: Troodon. Troodon has actually only ever been known by fossil teeth, and those teeth were found in 2017 to fit into a different animal: Latenivenatrix. This meant the name and species ‘Troodon’ was absorbed as a synonym and ceased to exist. But the old name is still popular and floats around in media. Latenivenatrix is the largest troodontid known at 3.5 meters (12 feet) long, about 1.8 meters tall (6 feet), at least 90 kg (200 lbs), and had the largest relative brain size of any dinosaur. It was a lethal and highly attuned predator with pinpoint binocular vision; it’s keen senses were especially so in the dark. It hailed from the well known Canadian Dinosaur Park formation. There it would’ve dominated smaller hunters like Dromaeosaurus and Stenonychosaurus, and patrolled alongside famous contemporaries such as Parasaurolophus, Daspletosaurus, Chasmosaurus, and Euoplocephalus.

Interesting Facts:

Summary
  • Troodonts like Latenivenatrix are known for their oddly serrated teeth. This has lead to scientists believing they could’ve been partial omnivores. They may have been like modern foxes, being primary carnivores, but if prey animals are unavailable they can survive on certain plants to avoid starvation. Because of the coarse serrations on the teeth, bite wounds inflicted would’ve been ragged and resulted in prey quickly going into shock from pain.
  • Latenivenatrix, formerly Troodon, is well known in Jurassic Park media to have been venomous. This however is not true in real life. The only dinosaur that has shown possible evidence of a venomous bite is Sinornithosaurus.
  • Troodonts and Dromaeosaurs seem to have filled different niches. Dromaesaurs were not as fast but more powerful enabling them to go after robust prey like hadrosaurs and ceratopsians. Troodonts however had much more powerful senses and lighter bones for higher speed and leaping ability, and likely specialized in hunting speedy prey like ornithomimosaurs. Fossil evidence points to Latenivenatrix in particular being a predator of predators. It seems to have preferred hunting fellow raptors and even sub-adult tyrannosaurs!
  • Latenivenatrix means “Hiding Huntress.” It’s old and unused name, Troodon, means “Wounding Tooth.”

Would you like to see Latenivenatrix (formerly known as Troodon) in Jurassic World: Alive?

• Yes
  • No
  • Undecided

0 voters

How do you think it would be in game?

Previous Article:
Dinosaurs we would Like #9 - Deinonychus

4 Likes

That’s strange. I was saving Late raptor for the future for my creature file. Besides, they’re not the same name. It just move to the Troodon genus

1 Like

Troodon kinda went through a divorce with bones thought to belong to it, some of them went to Stenonychosaurus and the rest matched up perfectly with Latenivenatrix. I’m pretty sure the University of Alberta declared it an undiagnostic species and made it a junior synonym?

My bad for taking one of your Creature Files! :sweat_smile: :fearful:

It’s okay. In the future, I’ll leave the link to you once I’m finished with this raptor

1 Like

would it be a bleeding raptor.

Latenivenatrix (Rare)

HP: 1550
Damage: 625
Speed: 131
Armor: 0%
Critical: 15%

Cautious Strike (x1)
Gashing Wound (x1)
Adrenaline Pulse (+25% health)

{Swap in Dodge}
{Wounding Counter} {-33.4% DoT}

1 Like

I don’t understand this series, new creatures are always welcome.

1 Like

Latenivenatrix is so cute

I thought is cashing wound but not gashing wound

Just giving some of our popular dinos a little spotlight since we don’t have them :slight_smile:

I agree though, all new creatures are welcome!

Stygimoloch actually it’s cashing wound but not gashing wound

The name of skill is "Gashing Wound"

(Dimorphodon and Suchomimus have this ability)

That’s cashing wound you go and check

Sorry but it’s gashing wound

Bruh momento

1 Like

Sorry sorry it’s gashing wound

1 Like

In English Cash is like money :dollar:

Gash is like a cut :dagger:

Ok thanks :pray:t2: for telling me

1 Like

No problems! :wink:

1 Like