Ludia Forums

Dinosaurs we would Like #8 - Sauropelta

Sauropelta

Bio:

Seemingly ever present in toys and games, Sauropelta was an early Cretaceous nodosaurid. While not spectacularly large at 5+ meters (17 feet) long and 1.5 tons, it was spectacularly armored. Twin rows of spikes increasing in size until meeting massive shoulder spikes, then descending in size from spike to tail; this was coupled with bony scutes imbedded under the skin that were fused so tightly it formed a nearly impenetrable shield from head to tail. This testament to aggressive defense was for good reason: the most common predator of the region was deinonychus, and they preferred from fossil evidence to pounce and slash the necks of prey. Sauropelta would’ve been quite immune to this. Though it was a nodosaur, meaning it had no tail club, fossil evidence suggests that it’s unusually long tail was still capable of powerful swings that could’ve lashed out much faster than its relatives. When it wasn’t combatting marauding raptor packs, Sauropelta was quite at home grazing the low grasses growing in the tidal shorelines of the Interior Seaway and blissfully wandering the rolling hills of early Cretaceous Montana.

Interesting facts:

Summary
  • Nearly every dinosaur found in the Cloverly formation and the connecting Antlers formation is very well known. Sauropelta’s contemporaries include Deinonychus, Acrocanthosaurus, Tenontosaurus, Ornithomimus, and Sauroposeidon.
  • Sauropelta’s tail had at least 50 vertebrae. The tendons would’ve kept it very stiff to be held out straight, but it would’ve allowed a range of motion high enough to reach its own head if it needed to swing its tail!
  • A trackway of Sauropelta footprints was found in Alberta, Canada that helped scientists understand nodosaur and ankylosaur physiology and how they moved. This site is a keystone to ankylosaur understanding.
  • It’s name means “Lizard Shield.”

Would you like to see Sauropelta in Jurassic World: Alive?

• Yes
  • No
  • Undecided

0 voters

How do you think it would be in game?

Previous Article:
Dinosaurs we would Like #7 - Yutyrannus

2 Likes

Nodosaurus and Sauropelta could form a completely new family, distinct from ankylosaurids.

3 Likes

Sauropelta would be the common, Nodosaurus the rare and Edmontonia (another new dino) the epic

1 Like

Yes I want to see sauropelta

1 Like

Yes saurapelta should be common

Let’s see here. Hmm…

Rarity: Common

Health: 4540

Damage: 1000

Speed: 116

Armor: 20%

Critical: 5%

Moves

Superior Vulnerability

Short Defense

Passive: Immune to Vulnerability

1 Like

Sauropelta (Common)

HP: 4275
Damage: 750
Speed: 114
Armor: 35%
Critical: 5%

Strike (x1)
Vulnerability Rampage (x2) (Target’s is vulnerable for 3 turns) [Cooldown: 2]

{Swap in Slow} {Reduce opponent’s speed by 50% for 2 turns after swapping in. Cannot swap for 1 turn}
{Immune to Vulnerability} {This creature cannot be made Vulnerable}

1 Like

Oh gosh I’d forgot it was an anky, the first thing that went through my mind was BIRD UP!

But In all seriousness

30%
20%
SV
Rampage
Revenge Protection

I’ve been trying to stay hands off and let all of you discuss your concept ideas, but I thought just this once…

Sauropelta
Epic
4050 HP
980 Attack
115 Speed
30% Armor
5% Speed

~Precise Decelerating Strike
~Long Defense Strike
~Rampage
~Immune to Distraction
~Vulnerability Counter [New]: After receiving physical damage, opponent becomes vulnerable 1 turn and slowed 1 turn. (No damage)

So my idea is that nodosaurs become immune to distraction and get Vulnerability Counter. Since they’re immune to distraction, they can drop SV for other good basics like Shielded Decel and Precise Decel.

Just my idea. But carry on lol

1 Like