Disfunctional Daryx

It’s obvious really, Stgydaryx’s kit just doesn’t work well. I use it in my team and I have had some pretty fun battles and it has actually saved me from loosing a fair amount of battles, but there is one catch…I have boosted the hell out of it. Many people might say the only way for a creature to be useful now days is to boost it, but my Stgydaryx is tier 5 health and attack and tier 3 speed, making it one of my more boosted creatures. To add to this, it’s level 23, which is my joint highest level with Thor, but still, it is far from being my best creature. Before I start, I’m gonna say one thing. For a unique, it’s bad, I know that but it still has a lot of use on my team and as I said above,it has saved me countless times, but has also lost battles just as many. Keep this in mind though, it’s not complete garbage, but it’s not great.
Screenshot_20190725-191205

This is gonna be a long topic, so if you don’t like reading them, maybe leave now :grin:

First of all let’s look into Stgydaryx’s stats
Screenshot_20190726-122020

Health 4500
Damage 1000
Speed 128
Armour 0%
Critical 5%

Superiority Strike
Cleansing Swoop
Lethal Swoop
Instant Invisibility
Swap in Invisibility

Whilst I have had fun with these two swoop moves and when combined, lethal swoop and cleansing swoop can make a dangerous combo, these two moves are its downfall, but you knew that already. In order for Stgydaryx to be more meta relevant, one of these swoops are gonna have to go and be replaced by a damaging move. Here is the difficult part in my opinion though. Let’s take Dio’s buff for example. They took Trykos defensive strategy, implemented it into Dio, gave it the exact same health as Tryko, implemented it’s Sia into its regular moveset and gave it a slowing move and a precise counter. This, whilst significantly resembling Tryko works and feels right. The thing is, Daryx is ment to be a tactical wounder and the only one of its particular play style in the game. It’s moveset was purposefully designed to swap in, wound and get out, then swap in again, constantly repeating the cycle. This would be amazing and game changing…if we were still in the tank meta. 1.6 brought DC’s SIA buff and, if I’m right, alliance rewards, meaning a lot more Thor’s in the arena. Add this with the ST Patty’s day, making it easier for people to get Thor and Tryko and then we get a problem. There are a ton of chompers in the arena DC shattering sheilds and what happens to tanks? They become obsolete and sadly, so does Daryx’s swap in move. It was brought into the game one patch to late. Lack of tanks means Daryx becomes irrelevant and just Tyranosaur food. 1.7 brought about a nerf, which I needn’t talk about and then we get to 1.8. and it’s nice health buff. On paper, things are looking good for Stgydaryx, it’s got a health buff and due to the crit nerf and DC’s supposed need, tanks could possibly be more relevant, signaling good things for this bird. We all know that this didn’t happen. Boosts, boosts and more boosts. Crazy Thor’s and DC’s rule the meta. Vexus’ buff helps it to become a powerful kamikaze attacker, but Daryx , nothing good happens to this poor bird.

Well, I’m hoping that will change soon. You may think, woah Tuophsis, you have gone waaaayyy off topic, as you were talking about Stgydaryx’s role as a tactical wounder. Now you know it’s basic history, we can get to that. I don’t think Ludia want to (I maybe completely wrong) change its role as a tactical This is the problem with the birds. They have a specific role which they seem to fail at, but giving them a complete rework without changing it’s role is difficult. Let’s dive deeper into its moves now

Superiority Strike; it’s only damaging move, not a bad move.

Cleansing Swoop; useful as you can get out on t1 and destroy the whole mechanic of being locked down for X turns after swapping in. Doesn’t do much bleed damage.

Lethal Swoop; does a lot of bleed damage, but is kinda useless as Daryx has cleansing swoop and forces you to use superiority strike on t1 as it has a delay, but since it doesn’t cleanse as well, you pinned for the whole 2 turns.

Instant Invisibility; 2 words. big chomp

None of these moves have a lot of use at moment. SS is a basic move and actually pretty good for one, but as it’s only attack also pretty poor. Instant Invisibility has a relitevly weak place in this meta due to tons of chompers and the same thing goes for it’s sia. A case could possibly be made for the swoop moves, but lethal swoops t1 delay can prove problematic and cleansing swoop doesn’t deal much wound damage. Also, keep this in mind, swoop doesnt do any direct damage which is bad when the creature revolves around a wound and swap strategy. For example
Thor Vs Stgydaryx. Stgydaryx cleanses and swoops. Your next creature gets hit by a nasty defence Shattering Impact/Rampage.

Stgydaryx needs a kit rework and probably keep the same strategy. You can see this isn’t going to be easy, so lets completely split this unique bird up and analyse each component

Now might be the time to take a break, possibly have a coffee, maybe some tea and possibly a snack, as I still have a lot to say. I don’t blame you if you stopped reading and started skimming ages ago :sweat_smile:

Darwezopteryx

Health 4200
Damage 1050
Speed 127
Armour 0%
Critical 5%

Moves
Superiority Strike
Defence Shattering Strike
Swoop
Instant Invisibility
Swap in wound

Darwez isn’t great. I can happily say that it is worse that Stgydaryx. It’s kit is more or less the same, but one thing stands out, it’s ability to destroy shields. This can help Darwez a small bit, allowing it to get some damage in before it dies. I know from experience, that normally, this creature swaps in to wound and gets damaged and is almost dead. It can normally hit once more before it dies. This works to wear creatures down a bit, allowing you to finish the target vulnerable and easy to kill with another creature.

Stygimoloch Gen 2

Health 3150
Damage 1400
Speed 128
Armour 0%
Critical 5%

Shielding Strike
Impact and Run

I have not used this creature at all, so my knowledge is pretty limited. It’s fast and deals a fair amount of damage and can swap out when needed to. What I’m going to do though, is take gen 1 Stygimoloch instead. This creature’s speed, damage and ability to shield, stun and then run makes it a pretty decent mid game creature. Whilst its health is low, its 129 speed allows it to act first most of the time enabling it to get at least 2 hits on its opponent before it dies.

Let’s take what we know from this then. It’s components can; Cleanse distraction and slow, destroy shields, bleed, hit/ bleed and run and shield. Let’s also put stun into the equation as well.
Stygdaryx can; Cleans distraction and slow, shield and bleed and run, so the only things we are missing are hit and run, destroy shields and stun. We could possibly have something like strike/impact/rampage and swoop, that would work, maybe even a stun and swoop could turn out well. A defence shattering move could make sense, but to me, it just doesn’t feel right.

Let’s break this down further and look into Darwez’s components then.

Darwinopterus

Health 3000
Damage 970
Speed 129
Armour 0%
Critical 5%

Pinning Strike
Defence Shattering Impact
Swoop
Swap in Wound

It’s moveset and stats, apart from its speed don’t look good. What this creature is good at, is using its swap in wound to wear its opponent down, using more or less the same strategy as what Darwez is used for, but less successfully.

Hatzegopteryx

Health 4500
Damage 1140
Speed 114
Armour 0%
Critical 5%

Superiority Strike
Impact and Run
Swap in Defence

A kind of meh, bird that is supposed to survive by shielding, but its only shielding move is its sia. Of course, not as good at it as it’s rarer counter parts Arambo and Quetzel as it doesn’t have short defence or long protection. Kind of useful to tank hits early game, especially when shield destroyers aren’t as common, but still quite rare to see being used.

Let’s combine all this tougher. Between each other, all of Stgydaryx’s components can ; Cleanse Distraction and Slow, (swap in) Shield, pin, hit and run, destroy shields, bleed and run, swap in and bleed and then add Stgimoloch’s stun into the equation and there we have it, everything all of its components can do.

Now lets say what could work, what just wouldn’t and what wouldn’t feel right. SS is gonna stay definitely. The shield is interesting. Literally every single one of its components but Darwin can shield, so having a sort of shield move feels right, but on the other hand, in the higher arenas, moves such as instant invincibility can prove problematic, as they are easily destroyed and it doesn’t do any damage. Short defence or long protection at least deal damage and it would make sense for daryx to have this, as hatze’s rare cousins have these shielding moves. Stun could work pretty well in my opinion. This guys head is made for it, so a stunning move of some sort would be very welcome. Pinning doesn’t work. Defence shattering makes sense and all, but it doesn’t feel right to me, it could work very well, but I’m not sure if Stgydaryx would feel as unique as it is now. It needs to have a swoop move, no doubt about it, but maybe, just maybe a swoop that deals damage could make Daryx quite scary.

Now lets get onto the final part then, possible reworks that could make Stgydaryx more meta relevant. I’m not trying to make it overly powerful, but trying to make it balanced. Also, not all of these kits are going to sound good to everyone. One person may love it, but to another it may not have that Stgydaryx feel. Some might only be marginally better, where others more significantly.

Rework 1

Health 4500
Damage 1050
Speed 128
Armour 0%
Critical 5%

Superiority Strike
Cleansing Impact
Lethal Swoop
Shielded Wound ( deal 1.5x damage. 50% shield for 2 turns. DoT 0.2 of opponents max health for 3 turns. Cool down 2)
Swap in invincibility

This rework keeps the stats completely the same, but changes the move set quite a bit, whilst still maintaining its bleeding Strategy. Cleansing Swoop has been replaced for cleansing impact, allowing Stgydaryx to cleanse on turn 1, actually managing to deal some damage and then lethal swoop out on turn 2. Shielded wound acts as a more defensive way to wound your opponent. Whilst not blocking all damage and being a priority move like instant invisibility, it is able to deal some damage, wound the enemy and protect Stgydaryx from a move that can’t destroy its shield. Despite this, it will still have problems against creatures like Thor and especially immune creatures.

Rework 2

Health 4500
Damage 1140
Speed 128
Armour 0%
Critical 5%

Superiority Strike
Cleansing Lethal Swoop ( Cleanse self.DoT 0.33 of opponents max health for 3 turns Automatic Swap. Cooldown 2. Delay 1)
Acute Stun
Defence Shattering Rampage
Swap in Invincibility

I really hate seeing Stgydaryx have DSR, but some of its components do have the ability to do this, so whilst its may look wrong, it can more or less make sense. This Stgydaryx may only have 1 wounding move, but both of its original swoops have been merged into one, making Whilst DSR and Cleansing lethal swoop both have delays, this can easily be fixed by using acute stun. This move allows Stgydaryx to stun the opponent and waste one turn so that both moves are available next turn. Then the choice is yours. You can either swoop out, or deal some damage. Not super useful against chompers, but will have a lot more use than number 1.

Rework 3

Health 4650
Damage 1100
Speed 128
Armour 0%
Critical 5%

Superiority Strike
Rampage
Wounding Invisibility ( Priority. 100% shield for 1 turn. If this shield is nullified or destroyed, DoT 0.33 of targets max health for 3 turns. Cooldown 3)
Stun and Swoop (priority. 100% chance to stun opponent for 1 turn. DoT 0.2 of targets max health for 3 turns. Automatic swap. Cooldown 2 delay 1)
Swap in Invinsibility

This is an intersting one in my opinion. It can dish out a fair amount of damage on turn 1. Its invisibility move allows it to take no damage, but when destroyed, the opponent becomes wounded, making it useful against some heavy hitters. It’s stun and swoop allows it to get a free swap which works very well against heavy hitters, as you get a free swap.

I’m going to think of a couple more reworks and will add them here in a bit. If you have an idea, go ahead and share it and if it think it sounds good, I will go ahead and add it. For those who managed to read through it then, thanks and I hope you liked it. Feel free to comment on anything that you would change and disagree with. If people thinks that this idea is good, I might tag a mod in and try and ask them if Ludia could consider this.

Which rework do you think would hold up the best

• Rework 1
  • Rework 2
  • Rework 3

0 voters

Here is an idea from @Raven

An idea from @Brownfox

One from @Isaah_Wii

An idea from @Qaw

7 Likes

Stygidaryx might possibly be the first Unique I unlock, but I always felt hesitant with the current kit it has, so any of these changes would be appreciated. Option 3 is especially cool sounding.

1 Like

Thanks. As I said I use it more for fun that anything and it was the 5 the unique I unlocked, so not super hard. And yeah, option 3 is my favourite as well

1 Like

I’m actually saving up coins to get Darwez and Stygi up to 20, so a change to moveset would be appreciated due to the amount of effort and it being a Unique and all.

2 Likes

Definitely do it, but it’s your choice whether to level it or not

2 Likes

I really like the idea of it bleeding something and then stunning something. Maybe throw in 10% armor? Gotta have something to protect you during aerial head but duels.

1 Like

True dat. I mean, normally they have shielding strike, but since this doesn’t, armour could work

2 Likes

Anyone think that I should tag some mods to maybe get it viewed by the devs. Would that be a good idea?

2 Likes

I think those “mixed wounds” are too farfetched… and that includes the one that exists, Cleansing Wound… I’m not a fan

The devs SHOULD be more than aware how Daryx sucks… It may be the worst of all Uniques in meta… too predictable… and gives opponents the opportunity to swap to an immune creature… and free swaps can be decisive in a match.

1 Like

Currently, I’m saving up for Darwenoterx and Stygodaryx. I’ve been really excited for it but at the same time I’m worried. Like will it be enough for the arenas? After reading all your suggestions, I came to the conclusion that option 2 was the best. It was a close call because they were all really good options. But overall, great job! If Ludia does change Stygodaryx’'s moves to one of your ideas, I think he’ll be more worth the effort.

I like this. It basically keeps all identity of its components, gives it a 1.5X damage move, and is a unique move that fits in its kit. I didn’t vote because there are bits that I like in those 3 suggestions but not the whole kit.

I’d just take out lethal swoop and fit this in. Currently lethal swoop doesn’t worth spending 1 more turn to take a damage just to deal 7% more damage per turn (which can be countered by switching). The only situation that might be good is that, you swap in invincible to block a hit, superiority strike to finish off a low health creature, then lethal swoop the next thing in - but since there are so many immune creatures right now, it is just not practical.

1 Like

Excellent post!

My idea of a rework:

Stats remain unchanged
Superiority strike remains intact
Cleansing Swoop remains intact
Rampage and Run (with Alanqa’s Rampage animation)
Sky Tomahawk (new move): 50% chance to stun, 1x damage, 0.25% bleed for 2 turns

3 Likes

It is defobthe worst unique ever

Love it, will add it to the list, sadly I can’t add it to the poll though

1 Like

Glad to see people think my ideas are good.

Hey @J.C, @Jason, @Jorge, anyway to get the Devs to consider some of these. It would be really appreciated

2 Likes

I think we can all agree that daryx needs a rework, and I loved many of your ideas but didn’t vote cause my preffered kit would be a combination of some of those while combining as much as possible from all components. The moves combining with bleed are by far my favorites :smiley:
That would be:
-Superiority strike
-Cleansing lethal swoop(rework 2)
-Wounding defense shattering impact(DoT of 0.2 of targets max health for 2 turns, cooldown 2) or Stun and swoop(rework 3)
-Wounding invincibility(rework 3)

1 Like

I’m sorry to be the grammar police, but it’s invincibility. Invisibility is when you disappear. Good post tho

3 Likes

Since you are open to more suggestions, I thought I should add my opinion on a great moveset for Stygodaryx.

Shielded Wounding Strike (new move) Deals x1 damage. Gain 50% shield for 1 turn. DoT 10% for 2 turns.
Slowing Impact
Defense Shattering Rampage
Rampage and Run
Swap-in Wound

1 Like

As a fan of this bird. I like the idea of acute stun.
I’d say
SS, lethal swoop (delayed 1 turn), acute stun, IS. Swap in invi. Just put acute stun. Slightly higher dmg. That’s it.

1 Like

I’m going to put these other ideas on, I really like them