Ludia Forums

Enjoying the game as F2P player

Hi, I’m new to the forum. So, can you guys tell me how to enjoy this game as a f2p player (free-to-play player)? It would really help me. The game has a lot of micro-transactions and it’s very hard for me to play especially due to the small amount of d-bucks which aren’t enough from the rewards especially when you play in tournaments.

1 Like

Here is a lot of helpful information for newcomers

4 Likes

I can’t say I’m a newcomer but I use pretty strong hybrids and creatures, and whenever I want to skip this thing (I think it’s called “cool-down” or something) I have to spend up to 1k dino bucks. Thank you for your answer btw!

1 Like

Spending Dino buck on cool downs isn’t a very good value.

Typically I’d recommend you have more Dino’s and spend the DB on hatchery speeds getting more Dino’s and needing to buy back Dino’s less and less or you have so many you just play with your favorites unless you need something else.

Some events are based on the strength of your top few Dino’s, so it helps to get you top group clustered I strength. Strength is attack times 3.2 plus health.

5 Likes

@ZenoRex can I see your lineup?

1 Like

I totally agree with you, but the thing is that if you don’t use your strongest team, you will always play against way too strong opponents (I know they are bots), so you will not have any chances to win.

Yeah, sure.
Edit: I was VIP before, that’s why I got Tanycolagreus but I cancelled the subscription because I was tired of paying in a free game.

1 Like

Sorry for any confusion. I didn’t necessarily mean newcomer as in a new player, but as a new person on the boards, many don’t know about ferocity and how PVE battles opponents are chosen. The ferocity link on the thread I linked to is probably one of the most important to read. As @Timmah said, it’s very important to build your depth. That way if you have to use the top of your lineup, it’s ok because you have several of those top dinos.

3 Likes

I have been non- VIP (i.e. free-to-play) for about 15 months. My experience of where you get less reward is mainly LPs, where VIP players always get twice as much. So I prioritise any event with these, even the easy boring ones. And I don’t know if you have the Trade Harbour unlocked, but I use that to gain more with coin to LP and unwanted dinos to LP trades to get as many VIP dinos as possible- good stats and short cool-down times.

Otherwise - you just need patience and depth - lots of creatures at the same sort of level to fight battles. You can’t get on as fast but that’s the choice you make.

4 Likes

I do have the Trade Harbour unlocked and it usually helps me, but I can’t say it’s the best source for gaining the DB as there is a limit of trading (unless you are a VIP and have a couple of more free trades). I think the rewards in this game should be better because they didn’t really help me especially the ones I got recently (100 DBs from the tournament roulette).

1 Like

For DBs, keep around 3 Apato Fossils in your market. DO NOT have any other buildings or decorations in your market. When you do get a trade offer of DBs for your Apato Fossil decoration it’s usually around 350-500DBs. Don’t waste your custom trade trying to get DBs since it’s limited. If you were a VIP and trying to get rid of some lower animals, then I would say ok since you get 3 trades, but non-VIPs only getting 1, I wouldn’t waste it.

Edit: example

5 Likes

thats alot of carrnivores also how did u get yudon like from COT cause thats imperssive for a f2p

1 Like

Unlocking the weekly creatures is a good source of DB, even if you already have them, and finishing in Dominator in tournaments if you can. But it is slow.

3 Likes

Also, keep a few Apato Fossils around your park in case you get more Apato trades than you have in your market. Just be sure to pick them up before trading your last Apato or those trades will disappear.

2 Likes

btw to back this guy up im a pure f2p didnt spend a dollar atall and was able to get like 2k bucks this week cause apato and john hammond decs give you about 400 bucks events for creatures give 100 and if ur willing to spend 100 vip pts for 100 dino bucks go ahead and also dont forget the recent glitch free daily vip card pack which gives you 40 bucks without counting the other two missions that give u 80bucks so basically garanteed 120 bucks everyday

I’m not saying don’t use your strongest team, but to level Dino’s up in large groups of the same strength.

4 Likes

what he meant is that you need a strong team of creatures with similar ferocity
and equally distributed…

3 Likes

The keys to success in this game are time and money. If you refuse to use one, you must use the other. That means grind in your case. If you put in the time on the PVP (including MODed), you can accumulate all the resources you need. With a few exceptions of some of the VIP creatures, buildings, and decorations and the Real Money exclusive Haast Eagle Statue, a truly free-to-play player can accumulate anything in this game. Money (including VIP and/ot Fidelity subscriptions) just makes resource accumulation quicker and easier.

To expand on @Timmah and @Flavio_Camargo 's comments, to make battles easier, your going to want to have lots of creatures of a similar Ferocity. Ideally, these need to be spread more or less evenly between the various Classes (Carnivore, Herbivore, etc), the various Rarities (Common, Rare, etc.), and level (1+, 10+, 20+, etc) so that you are covered no matter what wrinkle Ludia throws at you. This will all but eliminate the need to use Dinobucks to pay for a recovery.

To echo @Bandeezee , a clear Market makes the Trade Harbor a much better mechanism for resource accumulation. Get rid of all of your Creatures, Buildings, Decorations, and MODs except for Apatosaurus Fossils. Your odds for favorable trades will go WAY up.

4 Likes

Enjoying the game as a f2p player? Kind of up to the player really, I mean some pay to play players might not enjoy the game so yeah.

Anything in this game is possible as f2p… aside from getting all of the VIP exclusive creatures, however you still have a shot at a few of them in the prize drop but it is quite costly. And being able to take full advantage of the prize drop is not possible as f2p. Well i guess if we are getting particular the TH has limitations as well as a f2p player. You can’t purchase the VIP LP packs… Ok ok ok there are a lot of difference but you can still get just about everything as f2p as a paying player it just takes more time.

Aside from the VIP exclusive perks all the other tips and tricks for the game still work. Things mentioned above like using decorations in the TH, choosing battle teams wisely as not to waste good creatures, boosting coin production, keeping your team deep and balanced, all that stuff still functions the same I suggestion reading up on all that stuff.

I have my own account and manage 2 of my children’s accounts as well, all f2p from day 1. My game isn’t shaping up too badly and D1’s game isn’t too far behind mine and I was able to make a lot of great progress on D2’s game in just a few months to get her lineup built to last for a long time.

All this and i don’t even consider myself a die hard player, i skip a lot of PvE… a lot. Lately almost everything, but normally I am only unlocking CoT in the last week or so. This past 2 weeks it has dropped way off and I won’t even unlock CoT but it’s summer, i’m busy and I already have it so oh well.

All in all I enjoy the game just fine, the only resource I’m typically not swimming in is DBs and that is because I use them on hatching speed ups fairly often and even splurge on DB packs once in a while or blow 5k for a spin on the diamond wheel for a chance at a VIP exclusive… But i typically have more than enough to do whatever.

The top of my jurassic lineup by class

13 Likes

Wow, thanks! It’s a bit hard to progress and actually enjoy the game as a f2p player, but your tip really helps me. Good luck with your park!

1 Like