Ludia Forums

Farming First Bosses - highly enjoyable and sustainable

Hey folks, I wont bore you with introductions again. After extensive aggregated data, farming only the first boss room of any given challenge has extensive rewarding outcomes.

1. Ease of clearing. Once you have cleared an entire section of series and unlocked that challenge, you can generally clear the first boss with ease. Later on, you can fall asleep on first bosses theyre so easy.

2. With the Roll20 update, you get access to the entire full loot table with just the first boss. Therefor, unless you are super lucked, and pulling multiple rolls on 3 bosses of the same number, you are better off doing 1 roll and reset.

Why? Because, if you spend say 8 minutes doing a 9 room dungeon, you only get to keep 1 of those rolls. But if you only farm the first boss, and say it takes you 2 minutes each run, you get to roll AND keep your rolls 4 times in the same amount of time!!!

Yes that means instead of taking 32 minutes to get 4 rolls worth of loot, its only going to take you 8 minutes (these are equivalent examples, times will vary).

1. You lose a bit of experience rewards, because the higher level rooms give more experience. This is a trade off, but getting more gear, means more experience anyways.

2. Depending on which challenge u are on, you can get up to 1750 gold, or 105 gems in a single roll. (Heartcoil) Ive made large fortunes this way and funded many pack purchases.

3. its alot more fun, and quicker for inbetween type battling. Smash, reset, smash.

2 Likes

Once gold is no longer a constraint, I agree with this.

1 Like

smacks self on forehead Thanks for the tip, look forward to trying it out!

1 Like

Hey there, no problemo!

@Ret - actually thats what I thought at first, but I get gems and gold soooo often, and since its the only reward I get alot more than I spend. When playing long boss version, we tend to pick the better gear in a 2 or 3 roll, and skip gems or gold.

I respecfuly disagree, as a free player.

Back when I tested if Frostsilver Mines faming is sustainable I got to the conclusion that as long as you get 3 dice you get what you paid and then some, but tripling the cost would make me lose quite a lot of gold in the process of getting my several dozen epics. It might be worth it, but by no means sustainable in the long run for someone who tries F2P.

Same goes for any other challenge, as in HSM the cost starts to really mount up (as rewards do as well). With mostly getting 3 dice and sometimes getting stomped by OTK monsters in room 8 and getting only 2, my rewards are pretty good, but until I clear is consistently I won’t start paying 250 gold for every run and definitely not 750 gold for the same amount of dice.

1 Like

That of course is your persuasion, but subjective. Im writing from my own personal experience showing that it does in fact work. To each their own!

1 Like

Fighting only first boss won’t return me enough (f2p)

1 Like

Fighting a first boss or 2 or 3 bosses doesnt affect your return lol.

Any boss gives a d20 roll. The difference is spending time to get pick of 3 different rolls, or 3 rolls that you get to keep in a short time.

If you do all three bosses it looks like this:

8 Minutes

and keep one of

D20 (keep)
D20 (skip)
D20 (skip)

If you do single boss it looks like this:

6 minutes

Keep all 3

D20 (keep)
D20 (keep)
D20 (keep)

The ONLY thing you miss out on is more EXPERIENCE and thats it.

Your logic doesn’t quite hold in terms of return on investment.

Rolling two dice rather than a single dice is effectively adding a +4 to +5 to your roll over a large sample size: https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2014/07/12/dnd-5e-advantage-disadvantage-probability/

You can also think of it in terms that the second dice has a 50% to increase your rewards from a single dice roll. The third dice has a 33.3% to improve your results. There’s also the odd instance where you get combined rewards. So getting all 3 dice does improve the return on investment for the amount of gold spent.

However, if we take time into consideration as a resource, you are correct in that it has the best rate of return. This is especially true because the 2nd and 3rd bosses take up a lot longer to beat, even if I can clear them consistently.

Since I value my time more than I value the gold I have (I’m at over 250k), your beating the first boss strategy works quite well for me. If I’m farming a particular roll, I want to optimize for more dice rolls per hour, rather than most value per run.

2 Likes

Yes indeed, that is entirely accurate, its time vs roi :wink:

1 Like

I agree with you for the most part but what I think what the other person was saying is that yes you save time, yes you get to keep three items or gold or whatever, but you also have pay three times, and if you are new or don’t have a lot of resources for whatever reason this can add up. If you don’t roll gold and if you roll gear that isn’t being bought yet you could easily run out if your funds are low

Yes I understand that however, my other point was - when you do a single roll over and over - you are MORE likely to get gold and gems back. People who run it for 3 dice usually pick the best gear, which will almost always be better choice over gold/gems. So when u do 1 roll at a time, u have to keep whatever u get, and now thats its a 20 roll on first boss, it can, and is, many times the top roll. For my heartcoil for example, its 1750 gold or 105 gems. I get this ALOT. Obviously doing lower dungeons is less, but is very scalable.

1 Like

I agree with Yespa. In terms of time spent, you make more gold per time if you only do the first boss.

Let’s take two scenarios side by side:

Scenario 1: full clear boss and roll three dice.

17 (250g)
7 (50g)
2 (25g)

Result: 50g spent for 250g prize (missing out on 75g).

Scenario 2: three first boss clears and roll three dice.

17 (250g)
7 (50g)
2 (25g)

Result: 150g spent for 375g prize.

If you can sneak a fourth run in then this gold per time increases.

The difficulty for new f2p players is when you get commons or gems as your rewards. These can be liquidated at a later time (selling loot of trading gems for gold) but if you start with a small pool of gold you may run out quickly. I still feel you get more value from doing the “first boss only” strategy when looking to save time.

2 Likes

Yes and thank you for the insightful feedback!

With the change to D20 for all bosses, we really had a nice window of opportunity given to us.

In the first scenario you make 5 times your money… in the second you make 2.5 times

Honestly I do the first boss thing often too. I was just trying to say it doesn’t necessarily work for every situation… it is good to point it out as an option though because many people probably don’t think of it, especially if they are new

I disagree, you are also missing out on these: double roll and I get quite a few of them

3 4 5 6 7

2 Likes

There are benefits to either system. When I am looking for gear i roll to 2/3 d20 (usually 2 due to the time benefit of getting additional rolls in). When I am looking for net increase in gold/gems or trying to complete a challenge its 1d20 all the way. If i really need/want a specific roll it is 3d20.

I have found that 1d20 consistently is a net positive so its sustainable and the speed of completion removes some of the grindiness/drudgery.

I am f2p player and personally I much prefer doing just the 1 boss. The dragon dungeon can take 20 mins or more to clear all 3 just don’t like playing it. As for being sustainable gotta say it works for me . My party are all 11 except 2 10s. I am sitting on 15k gold and about 850 gems. I also have 4 players ready to level and another with in 3k so it does seem to work even for f2p players.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback, esp Brsteelers74, it most definitely works in action :wink: