Ludia Forums

Gauntlets used to be fun

I used to enjoy gauntlets. In fact, I used to think that gauntlets were the only good thing to come out of brawling. Unfortunately, I find that recent changes to gauntlets have made them much less enjoyable. So in a time when there are more gauntlets than ever, I find myself playing them less often, and playing through to the final prize even less.

First, it started costing a life just to play a single gauntlet level. Even if you win, a life is lost. This was widely discussed on the forums, and I didn’t see a single player that thought this change made sense. Speaking for myself, I like Rise of Berk, it is a fun game. I play it when I have time. My life, my family, and my job all come first. When I could find opportunities at my convenience to knock out a few rounds of gauntlet, I always enjoyed it. Now I can only play when I have lives available, lives that take 4 hours to regenerate. I can no longer play at my convenience, the only way to play is at the games convenience. So I found myself playing less.

Then they started adding more boss dragons and other dragons not available in brawl. Now I have to admit, sometimes that kind of challenge can be fun. At times I wondered if this was a way to test if these dragons should be added to brawl. However, it gets old quickly when you suddenly discover that you are facing multiple dragons that can each eliminate the majority of you health points in an instant. And when the only way to survive is to repeatedly use sage fruit or action rush, well that quickly gets frustrating. I enjoy a challenge, but I don’t enjoy a no win situation. And so I found myself playing less.

Lately they added survival mode where a single level has as many as 5 to 7 waves. Now this is just time consuming, and to be direct, I have a life. Plus with the difficulty and sometimes the number of dragons you face increasing with each of these waves, survival mode is just another way to find yourself in a no win situation. So once again, I found myself playing less.

I liked the old gauntlet, where selecting good dragons and applying a strategy meant you could win without regularly resorting to sage fruit and action rush. The old brawl was just fun, fun that I could have when I could conveniently fit it into my life. I liked the old gauntlet where the reward was worth the challenge of fighting your way through each level. Dear Ludia, please bring back the fun, bring back the old gauntlets.

3 Likes

Actually those dragons have the same ability as some brawl dragons. It’s like those brawl dragons with different skins and boosted statistics. There’s no new dragon with new abilities or new combinations of abilities.
Indeed now I need to use a little more action rushs and sage fruits but I have more than 90 of both of them so it’s still fine now. I hardly needed to use any of those in the past. I think it’s fine that I need to use some of them now.
Survival is time consuming but it’s not very hard to win for me. And I don’t need to use fruits or energies to win most of them.
The biggest problem is that token packs gives random tokens so I get too much tokens of dragons I don’t want to level up now and get too few of dragons I want to level up. Many of my friends can’t use those dragons with good abilities because those dragons are at very low levels and can’t survive long enough.

1 Like

The entire level system is busted. Those dragons you get in early arena stages will never catch up just because all dragons follow the same rules for level Ups just that the earlier you unlock them, the lower the starting level.
I would love to use my champion quaken but it is impossible because champion tokens are super rare and with the low starting level he isn’t even caught up to the level you get the champion nightmare at.
Either the make all starting levels the same or make the cost of each level the same and not the number of level ups as it is now.

3 Likes

I don’t mind the life every 4 hours if the timer isn’t broken. There are times I don’t login for more than 12 hours but it only gained 1 life.

One thing that makes this game great is that you don’t have to put too much attention to it and just check it from time to and time and enjoy your progress. The broken timer doesn’t quite help with that.

1 Like

You’re lucky. I’ve lost two days on the survival gauntlet because I couldn’t finish the previous one, because I’d come back after 12 hours and still have zero “stamina”. Half the time, the timer doesn’t even count down. You have to completely close the game to get it to register that you should have gotten another life, and then it resets the timer.

Really, the timer is broken and it is not acceptable.

2 Likes

“Majority”, nothing. One of the recent gauntlets (maybe a week ago) was flat-out impossible. One of the dragons literally TPK’d me from full health. No chance to even use sage fruits.

Don’t even get me started on survival; “horrible” is too anemic a word to describe that. Plus, the first 2-3 waves are a complete waste of time; they can’t inflict more than superficial damage. And then, yeah, the last 1-2 waves are practically guaranteed to wipe out your team while hardly breaking a sweat.

2 Likes

There is a tactic around pre charged champion nightmare and saving up 4 energy for the next wave. This will allow you to nearly one shot any wave until 5 and from there inflict at least 50% damage on even those ones. Needs a bit of practice and at least one healer to keep nightmare on high hp but otherwise turns most matches into a cake walk.

2 Likes

Yeah, that is a good example of the kinds of things that make gauntlets less fun. I’m up for a challenge, but when one of your dragons goes from full health to nuked in an instant, that isn’t a challenge, it’s a frustrating no win situation.

2 Likes

New tactics are always helpful, thank you. But I do hope the developers and bring back some fun to gauntlets…

1 Like

If you mean that defender gronckle, I used sleuther and hookfang and edge Nadder to make it take down the other two, and have my dragons concentrate fire on it. That Gronckle didn’t even get to hit my dragons. Of course I needed some extra attack points to keep up and a fruit to keep my dragons alive but I have too many of those things so it’s fine.

1 Like

In the first few waves you can save up attack points and give your dragons shields and other boosts. But 3 waves is a little too much.Two waves of weak enemies is enough to save up attack points and get shields up.

1 Like

Yes, they should add a certain way to win without having to use sage fruit or action rush. It will be nice if every gauntlet have a certain team that have 99% chance to beat it without using consumable. The catch is you have to find the combination. But for lower ranked people that do not have the high level champion or token for higher level dragon will be a problem. Also, I agree with you and wished they added more dragon to brawl, but i do not think it is happening anytime soon.

3 Likes